Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Note Quite Photshop... New Device for Video Editing

1. #1 Default Note Quite Photshop... New Device for Video Editing 
    I got a GoPro for Christmas, coincidentally my only laptop with an HD died last week so I am in the market for something new. I am not creative enough to do anything hardcore but would like to be able to chop up a video, add music, etc. I have heard stories of semi-decent devices just eating it when trying to process full 1080 so I want to get something that'll manage (without learning the hardway I bought the wrong thing)

I am thinking about a Macbook Pro since I've wanted to jump over to a Macbook for a while, but would like opinions on what sort of hardware I want/need, additional software, alternatives to a Macbook.

Thanks,

Chris

2. #2 Default  
    To play and render HD video, CPU horsepower is what is going to do it for you. Look for something like an i5 or i7 CPU, and a couple gigs of ram.
    Matt

3. #3 Default  
    So quad core and maybe 8gigs of RAM? I really dont want to have to do this twice or have to do this again a year from now.

Do I care about what video card is there if I dont play games?

4. #4 Default  
    Video programs with hardware accelration will use your graphics card for extra power, like when applying a filter or mask to the video you're editing.

Core i7 laptop with 4+GB will let you do anything you want and will still be powerful. I have a dual core AMD laptop with 8GB that edits video fine in Corel VS X4.

5. #5 Default  
    I think you are limited as to what video cards you can get into a laptop so you may not have a choice as far as that goes. If you are getting a high end CPU, they usually package a good card, since most people want to game.
    Matt

6. #6 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by [cerberus] View Post
    I think you are limited as to what video cards you can get into a laptop so you may not have a choice as far as that goes. If you are getting a high end CPU, they usually package a good card, since most people want to game.
    I use Boilsoft Video Splitter to trim the 1080p/720p HD video file first. Then Badaboom to convert to desired format/bitrate/size. Badaboom is very fast if you have the appropriate Nvidia graphics card- it uses your video card to do the work.

7. #7 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by KPewPew View Post
    I use Boilsoft Video Splitter to trim the 1080p/720p HD video file first. Then Badaboom to convert to desired format/bitrate/size. Badaboom is very fast if you have the appropriate Nvidia graphics card- it uses your video card to do the work.
    Transcoding 720P H.264 video that is 5000 kbps to 1024 width, 1020 bitrate H.264 goes at 50-70 FPS on my computer with an Nvidia GTX 260M

8. #8 Default  
    I have been using Adobe Premier Pro CS4, and it has worked well. My previous PC chugged badly on HD video, which is why I upgraded to an i7. It is so quick now.
    Matt

9. #9 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by KPewPew View Post
    Transcoding 720P H.264 video that is 5000 kbps to 1024 width, 1020 bitrate H.264 goes at 50-70 FPS on my computer with an Nvidia GTX 260M
    Ken you think I can swap that Win 7 key you gave me with the comp for a 64bit version? I am told I need to up my game for video editing

10. #10 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Admin_Pete View Post
    Ken you think I can swap that Win 7 key you gave me with the comp for a 64bit version? I am told I need to up my game for video editing
    Good news- licenses are valid for both 32 and 64-bit. You can download the ISO image here: http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technol...download-links

I would download the SP1 media refresh images- they include SP1 thus saving update time. I've used one of the links and they are legit

11. #11 Default  
    Thanks for the input guys.. guess we'll do a little shopping and research today!

12. #12 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by [cerberus] View Post
    I have been using Adobe Premier Pro CS4, and it has worked well. My previous PC chugged badly on HD video, which is why I upgraded to an i7. It is so quick now.
    I found I couldn't use my HD files (.avi from my D5000) Premiere CS4, it always trimmed the frame and wasn't HD so I ended up using Corel instead. How do you use CS4 for HD editing?

13. #13 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppa822 View Post
    I found I couldn't use my HD files (.avi from my D5000) Premiere CS4, it always trimmed the frame and wasn't HD so I ended up using Corel instead. How do you use CS4 for HD editing?
    My workflowso far has been to inport the .mts HD raw video, do my editing
    and then export. Adobe encoder than opens and i encode to h.264 at one of the preset resolutions. Usually 720p for youtube.
    Matt

14. #14 Default  
    Double post
    Matt

Thread Information