Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: The Motorcycle gear thread

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 190
  1. #1 Default The Motorcycle gear thread 
    Bath salts and dick pills
    Reply With Quote  

  2. #2 Default  
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,300
    Quote Originally Posted by jjm4life View Post
    speaking of helmets this is the one I want when I buy my bike

    with this shield
    Reply With Quote  

  3. #3 Default  
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Saugus, MA
    Posts
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnIrvine View Post
    speaking of helmets this is the one I want when I buy my bike

    with this shield
    lol make sure its glossy black that you buy not flat black because thats what i got :P
    Reply With Quote  

  4. #4 Default  
    I really should buy a full face helmet... Duty what type of armor should I have
    Bath salts and dick pills
    Reply With Quote  

  5. #5 Default  
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Saugus, MA
    Posts
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by jjm4life View Post
    I really should buy a full face helmet... Duty what type of armor should I have
    For your cafe racer style bike I'd go with 1mm (at least) high grade leather with CE armor. Vansons used to make a few jackets years ago that fit the look really well and of course some of the best quality leather/craftsmanship out there. There are many more brands available but I can't think of any others off the top of my head, I'll make a call to my old boss at the dealer and she what she recommends since I've been away from the retail sales for a few years now.

    And yes please go with a full face. As much as I hate modular helmets get at least one of those. Momo (EU), Roof are a few names that pop into my head that design helmets that fit cafe racer style/look. But personally I don't wear anything except Arai (95% of the time) because I have personally crash tested them on many occasions.
    Reply With Quote  

  6. #6 Default  
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,300
    Haha I know this is going to sound nuts but I've always wanted a suit like this, ever since the first motogp race that I saw as a kid. Hopefully one day I can get one
    Reply With Quote  

  7. #7 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Duey View Post
    Vansons used to make a few jackets years ago that fit the look really well and of course some of the best quality leather/craftsmanship out there.
    hmmm, no kidding. Name sounds familiar. I think my dad looked at financing them back in the day. Random.
    Reply With Quote  

  8. #8 Default  
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Saugus, MA
    Posts
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    hmmm, no kidding. Name sounds familiar. I think my dad looked at financing them back in the day. Random.
    The company is based out of Fall River so he probably did.
    Reply With Quote  

  9. #9 Default  
    I'm familiar with vanson, how do you feel about textile jackets? Leather just sounds like it would be so hot
    Bath salts and dick pills
    Reply With Quote  

  10. #10 Default  
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Saugus, MA
    Posts
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by jjm4life View Post
    I'm familiar with vanson, how do you feel about textile jackets? Leather just sounds like it would be so hot
    I wouldn't wear textile but that's my personal opinion. I've had akin grafted before so I'll put up with nasty sweat than stare at scars all day.

    And yes you will never see me on my bike without a leather jacket on no matter how hot it is.
    Reply With Quote  

  11. #11 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Duey View Post
    I wouldn't wear textile but that's my personal opinion. I've had akin grafted before so I'll put up with nasty sweat than stare at scars all day.

    And yes you will never see me on my bike without a leather jacket on no matter how hot it is.
    Guess t hat answers that one... How about pants?
    Bath salts and dick pills
    Reply With Quote  

  12. #12 Default  
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Saugus, MA
    Posts
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by jjm4life View Post
    Guess t hat answers that one... How about pants?
    I personally never wore armored pants unless I know I'm going to hit up twisty roads or long highway rides. Around town/city I just wore heavy denim jeans, no paper thin designer $150 jeans since they tend to be thin as tissue paper. They also make Kevlar reinforced jeans without armor if you want to go that route also.

    Another thing commonly overlooked is footwear. NEVER wear below the ankle shoes when riding. It will only take one time for your foot to slip for you to fuck up your ankle. Best just to wear some sort of above ankle height boots/shoes.
    Reply With Quote  

  13. #13 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Duey View Post
    Another thing commonly overlooked is footwear. NEVER wear below the ankle shoes when riding. It will only take one time for your foot to slip for you to fuck up your ankle. Best just to wear some sort of above ankle height boots/shoes.
    Can't highlight this enough. It really is important, and I see so many asshats riding around in sneakers. It's easier to regrow skin than to repair ankles.
    Reply With Quote  

  14. #14 Default  
    Kevlar jeans just sound awesome, and yea boots are a must. Those roof helmets are d ope... I got to get somewhere to tryout a bunch of helmets
    Bath salts and dick pills
    Reply With Quote  

  15. #15 Default  
    I think Draggin jeans is the most popular brand, but I'm sure there are others. I was looking at liners from Draggin a little while back that seemed perfect. Basically they were kevlar long johns, with pockets for armor incase you want to add it. The advantages being that in a crash I see less change of the long johns just scrunching up your leg than a loosish pair of jeans.
    Reply With Quote  

  16. #16 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmask View Post
    I think Draggin jeans is the most popular brand, but I'm sure there are others. I was looking at liners from Draggin a little while back that seemed perfect. Basically they were kevlar long johns, with pockets for armor incase you want to add it. The advantages being that in a crash I see less change of the long johns just scrunching up your leg than a loosish pair of jeans.
    Long johns sound like a good option. At least they fit under normal jeans
    Bath salts and dick pills
    Reply With Quote  

  17. #17 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Duey View Post
    Another thing commonly overlooked is footwear. NEVER wear below the ankle shoes when riding. It will only take one time for your foot to slip for you to fuck up your ankle. Best just to wear some sort of above ankle height boots/shoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmask View Post
    Can't highlight this enough. It really is important, and I see so many asshats riding around in sneakers. It's easier to regrow skin than to repair ankles.
    THIS and THIS. Every time I see and idiot in shorts letting their foot drag back to the peg as they pull away or come to a stop I want to scream.

    I was always told you want the least friction developed, when you're sliding on pavement, between you and your clothes. I went for a slide on 93 a few years ago and walked away with a bit of rash on my leg where my jeans bunched at the knee. I was wearing boots, my Vanson and Carhartt jeans and gloves. I was really thankful for the armor in my elbows that day as I came down on my elbow first then spent the rest of the slide trying to keep the bike in front of me. I haven't tried kevlar undies, but if I ever buy another bike, they'll be a consideration.

    I'm with Duey, I will not ride without leather.
    Reply With Quote  

  18. #18 Default  
    Ok so draggin jeans look like a good fit for me, with the knee pads. Leather jacket with shoulder and elbow pads, ankle boots, full finger gloves, and a full face helmet. Am I missing anything?
    Where can I go locally for riding gear? Would much rather buy local than take chances with figment via the interweb
    Bath salts and dick pills
    Reply With Quote  

  19. #19 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjm4life View Post
    Ok so draggin jeans look like a good fit for me, with the knee pads. Leather jacket with shoulder and elbow pads, ankle boots, full finger gloves, and a full face helmet. Am I missing anything?
    Where can I go locally for riding gear? Would much rather buy local than take chances with figment via the interweb
    I've had no luck with just one store. Two helmets are from 3A in Chelmsford, one is from GreaterBoston in Arlington, my wife's' helmet came from Depot in Rye, her riding jacket came from MAX BMW in Portsmouth. My Vanson came from GreaterBoston. My gloves were always bought at Riverside because they seem to only sell to people with small hands leaving the bigger sizes for me! You really need to find the one that fits you, my fat head fits into HJC and Arai helmets quite well, but I can't wear a Bell or Shoei. My driving helmet is a Nolan.

    One of the places I found what I wanted and needed was the IMS show in NYC. It's coming up in three weeks, and may be an opportunity for you to actually see and try the various products you're considering. It's where I found the Nolan I use.
    Last edited by thunderthud; 12-29-2011 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Added glove supplier
    Reply With Quote  

  20. #20 Default  
    Thanks for the info thunderthud. Can't get to NYC but good to know there are a few local places
    Bath salts and dick pills
    Reply With Quote  

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Thread Information
Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •