Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Travel

1. #1 Default Travel 
    Every other year, our family of about 15 goes on vacation. Usually we take advantage of cuise ships for their all inclusive benefits, as feeding 15 people 3 meals a day can be costly. This year, we are throwing around the idea of goig to Cuba, as we are now permitted to do. I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone been? Any good?
    2. Anyone know any good travel agents to book through?
    3. Any other recommendations for destinations? (we have done about 6 cruises, mostly to the carribean and one to Alaska).

2. #2 Default  
    Blog Entries
    My parents have done a cruise of the Mediterranean twice and say its one of there favorite trips they've taken. Considering airfare for 15 to Europe will be pricey, have you thought about doing all inclusive somewhere else? Me and a few buddies went to cabo in 04... It was a great trip. Even if we had not left the resort it was a good time.
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

3. #3 Default  
    You can cruise to Cuba, how does that work? I didn't think you could travel from the US to Cuba directly.
    Matt

4. #4 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by [cerberus] View Post
    You can cruise to Cuba, how does that work? I didn't think you could travel from the US to Cuba directly.
    there are loop holes, pretty easy to get arround now

5. #5 Default  
    I think he's saying us to cuba travel is more open now.
    Father of Phiff

6. #6 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
    go and lay down in the car park

7. #7 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    go and lay down in the car park
    this is just a bunch of random words. no idea what any of it means.
    Father of Phiff

8. #8 Default  
    tosser

9. #9 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    tosser
    tosser
    Literally, one who masturbates. Common usage typically refers to anyone of whom you have a low opinion.
    LOL

10. #10 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Newjoyz, have you guys thought about going to an extended stay type of place? Every year my family goes to West Palm... There's about 8 of us. We eat a couple meals out but we also grill at the resort and cook as well. It still works out to be a very relaxing vaca
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

11. #11 Default  
    the $$ probably goes pretty far in cuba but i'm not sure i'd want to go there.
    Father of Phiff

12. #12 Default  

13. #13 Default  
    Cuba is supposed to be awesome (well, at least for tourists who are free to leave). I know the CEO of our company brought his wife and three teenage kids there for two weeks all inclusive for ~$1700 a few years ago. He was English, so no travel restrictions.

You may also want to take a look at some resorts in Dominican Republic. I have heard there are some nice ones in/around Punta Cana. If you do messico, stay the hell away from Cancun. Cancun is disgusting. The whole place smells like human shit. I have heard great things about Cabo, but getting there is a bit more of hassle than Caribbean destinations.

How long do you go for? It's usually not terribly safe for tourists to go wandering out of the resorts in some places. If it's a 3-4 night trip, you'll probably be entertained enough in the resort not to be tempted to wander. If it's a longer stay, you may want to keep it on a cruise ship or to the US/Europe. And I don't really care if I'm offending the island nations and Mexico.

-Justin

White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)

14. #14 Default  
    My dad and stepmom went to Cuba on some form of trip last year, they said they had an amazing time. As for the suggestions for Cabo, it should be one of the safer places in Mexico to go, but I probably still wouldn't go if you paid me. Maybe consider a trip to the USVI or something similar(but I'm biased, dad's family has a vacation home on St. Croix).

15. #15 Default  
    Homeaway.com will help your search, home rental is a great way to cut down on costs

16. #16 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    My parents have done a cruise of the Mediterranean twice and say its one of there favorite trips they've taken. Considering airfare for 15 to Europe will be pricey, have you thought about doing all inclusive somewhere else? Me and a few buddies went to cabo in 04... It was a great trip. Even if we had not left the resort it was a good time.
    We have looked at Mediterranean cruises before, however it seems as though the most typical length of trip is 10 days, which has typically been too long for some of our family members. We have done resorts in Costa Rica in 2008, however, it was not all inclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by [cerberus] View Post
    Im not sure if cruise companies have started taking advantage of the more lax restrictions on traveling there yet. However, it is to my understanding that travel is now permitted there as is trading between Cuba and the US with some new bill? (IIRC)

+1

Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    Newjoyz, have you guys thought about going to an extended stay type of place? Every year my family goes to West Palm... There's about 8 of us. We eat a couple meals out but we also grill at the resort and cook as well. It still works out to be a very relaxing vaca
    Have not really entertained the idea of an extended stay, at least yet. We are in the preliminary stages of planning, and Cuba was just thrown out as more of a joke at the time. However, it certainly has potential, as I hear it is beautiful and they are probably begging for tourism over there now that it is permitted. Plus, the strength of the dollar should be pretty good there? In terms of cooking, I am not sure that would work with our family, as everyone is picky and NO ONE will want to clean up on vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin.b View Post
    Cuba is supposed to be awesome (well, at least for tourists who are free to leave). I know the CEO of our company brought his wife and three teenage kids there for two weeks all inclusive for ~$1700 a few years ago. He was English, so no travel restrictions.

You may also want to take a look at some resorts in Dominican Republic. I have heard there are some nice ones in/around Punta Cana. If you do messico, stay the hell away from Cancun. Cancun is disgusting. The whole place smells like human shit. I have heard great things about Cabo, but getting there is a bit more of hassle than Caribbean destinations.

How long do you go for? It's usually not terribly safe for tourists to go wandering out of the resorts in some places. If it's a 3-4 night trip, you'll probably be entertained enough in the resort not to be tempted to wander. If it's a longer stay, you may want to keep it on a cruise ship or to the US/Europe. And I don't really care if I'm offending the island nations and Mexico.

-Justin
    I have heard some pretty good things about Cuba in terms of beauty and attractions, and the idea becomes more appealing with each thought. Airfare should be cheap, its close to the US, and we should have a strong dollar there. I have briefly thought about the Dominican Republic as well, but havent done much research. We are going to wind up using a travel agent, and with the economy recently, they are becoming hard to find.

Mexico is a definite no-go, that is for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by splatt View Post
    My dad and stepmom went to Cuba on some form of trip last year, they said they had an amazing time. As for the suggestions for Cabo, it should be one of the safer places in Mexico to go, but I probably still wouldn't go if you paid me. Maybe consider a trip to the USVI or something similar(but I'm biased, dad's family has a vacation home on St. Croix).
    Been to all the St.'s multiple times. Caribbean cruises are usually our go-to, but we are exploring other possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris! View Post
    Homeaway.com will help your search, home rental is a great way to cut down on costs
    Thanks! Might take a look into it, but will probably go somewhere that offers maid service and cooked meals. After all, we will be on vacation!

Thread Information