Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Network Archived Storage Systems

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Default Network Archived Storage Systems 
    I did a very quick 4 pages preview search of the last four pages of threads then got lazy...

I talked to leemik about this however I don't want to rely on my old likely to crap out desktop so I'm looking for suggestions on a 3-4 bay NAS setup that's standalone that I can just plug into my router. Needles to say budget is a killer but if it doesn't come with drives that's fine I can buy those when I need them. I know nothing about this raid setup business so I'd rather stay away because it might do me more damage than good haha.

So for those of you out there with countless hours of legally purchased films stored on backup drives... have you any suggestions?
    Thanks a ton in advance!
    -Jason

2. #2 Default  
    *attached

My medium price answer @ $580 on Newegg: Drobo FS http://www.drobo.com/products/profes...o-fs/index.php
    It's more costly than the entry-level options however is a much more hassle-free experience when it comes to expanding and maintenance. On the technical side it is a proprietary RAID method so data recovery in case of a completely FUBAR'd hardware AND drives is not as easy as basic RAID setups. That worst case scenario probably won't happen- in my experience a failed drive meant I just continued on as normal using the drive and just ordered a new hard drive to swap in then next week. No downtime.

My entry level price answer @ $300 on Newegg: Basic 4-bay eSATA/Gigabit Ethernet/USB NAS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822219006
    ^ no personal experience with this but it should work just fine. I like this one since it can work plugged in via gigabit ethernet on your network, but if you desire faster transfers for lots of data, you can plug it in via eSATA (fastest) or USB (middle)
    Last edited by KPewPew; 01-05-2012 at 12:58 AM.

3. #3 Default  
    I love the products put out by QNAP, simple to configure, reliable, quiet, low power consumption... i'm running a TS-439 at home... dependong on the model you buy they aren't cheap, but highly reliable and flexible.

Do you really need a 4 drive NAS? Or could you get away with a 2drive w/ 3TB drives in a mirrored setup?

since this is going to be for home and just streaming movies you dont need to go with the business grade setup, something like a TS-410 would work for you:

Specs: http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_hardware.asp?p_id=134

http://www.amazon.com/TS-410-Desktop...5749874&sr=1-1
    Last edited by Alkivar; 01-05-2012 at 02:54 AM.

'08 Audi A5 S-line... 3.2L of ozone depleting goodness.

4. #4 Default  
    I'm so out of it I didn't know that 3TB drives were out already... wow I fail

5. #5 Default  
    I'm prolly going to do the drobo setup ken mentioned, seems like the simplest solution for me

6. #6 Default  
    Jay be on the look out for the delivery trucks this should be at your house today. configured 10 storage bays 240 2TB SSD's. option to add another 10 storage bays in the future too.
    Father of Phiff

7. #7 Default  
    As a current Drobo owner, it gets my vote!
    Samuel C. Lurie - Owner/President
    The Beantown Sound - Professional Disc Jockey Services
    -----------------------------
    2012 Mercedes S65-AMG
    2011 Ford E350 Quigley 4x4
    2002 Porsche 996TT

8. #8 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
    Jay be on the look out for the delivery trucks this should be at your house today. configured 10 storage bays 240 2TB SSD's. option to add another 10 storage bays in the future too.
    mike needs this to archive internets

9. #9 Default  
    working on delivery schedule with baller mike.
    Father of Phiff

10. #10 Default  
    Whats the budget? The drobo is a fantastic device, the Drobo FS is a 5 bay box (~$700) will operate as a NAS and I believe there is a module to plug-in the other models. If you want to go a more DIY route you could put together a budget ITX box and load Solaris+ZFS on it, there are a few community built web front ends that are pretty easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
    Jay be on the look out for the delivery trucks this should be at your house today. configured 10 storage bays 240 2TB SSD's.
    Pfft, Symmetrix? Weaksauce IOPS and those wont do NAS. Get a Axiom 600
    MKV GTI 2.0T APR Stage Eleventy-thousand+

11. #11 Default  
    You guys just blew my mind... haha

My budget was like 300-400$.. Drobo's look nice, but what sucks is that they don't come with HD's... going to wind up blowing 1g just for storage.

12. #12 Default  
    With the floods wiping out a good chunk of the hard drive factories the disks will be pretty expensive until Q4, if you can wait you'll likely save hundreds.

You could get an external enclosure and attach it to a small PC. You are not going to get a worthwhile hardware RAID controller for that budget, there are some great free software RAID options that will allow you to grow and rebuild a volume easily.

/shamelss plug

I'm about to put a SansDigital 8 bay SATA JBOD on eBay, it comes with a controller and everything. They seem to be selling for $175-350, plug that into a budget/old PC to act as the NAS and you have room to grow. There are smaller 4 and 5 bay units. The downside is that they are not performance oriented, but if you are sharing it through a NAS connection it will likely be unnoticeable.

13. #13 Default  
    I just recently bought a Buffalo LinkStation Duo 2tb. It only has 2 drives, but it's also ~$200 with the drives included. I think they also make a quad version which will run ~$650 on amazon in the 4tb flavor.

I can't really offer a review yet. It's still sitting on my desk waiting for me to transfer my files. I'm trying to eliminate a desktop from my office, so I'll be keeping this drive up here (I usually put them down in the laundry room) so I can use it as a print server.

-Justin

White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)

14. #14 Default  
    Do you have an old PC? Any old PC will work preferably with SATA

Install whatever drives you want in it..

download and install UNRAID (free version supports 3 drives)

http://lime-technology.com/

this is what I use.. if you need to expand beyond 3 drives pay for a license and add more drives as you like..

benefits of unraid?
    1. JOBD.. just a bunch of disks .. so they can be of any size and type.. you can even mix old PATA with SATA
    2. easily expandable
    3. easily upgradable
    4. RAID like protection via a parity drive.. you can lose a drive.. just add another one and rebuild.. if you lose your parity drive.. no big deal add another one and rebuild parity.. loose 2 drives? well then you lose the data on both those drives only..
    5. uses any old hardware

disadvatages? not RAIDed so it is not as fast as a say RAID 0 system... but it's plenty of bandwidth for serving up media(movies, photos and music).. I wouldn't run it as disk for a database sever though..

My recently upgraded NAS has throughput at around ~70Meg read .. 20Meg write.. that's plenty fast

hell drop off an old PC with drives and a memory stick and I'll make UNRAID work for you..
    Last edited by leemik; 01-05-2012 at 01:41 PM.

15. #15 Default  
    Nice NAS speeds Mike- My Drobo 2nd Gen (not S) via USB 2.0 is providing me with ~25 MB/sec read and write. It seems like it's the processor in mine that is bottlenecking

16. #16 Default  
    Oh just wanted to add..it's a bad time to buy HD's right now.. prices are still very high from that Thailand flood. A drive that cost me $99 last summer now costs me $169

I had one of my older drive fail 2 days ago and am recovering from that now.. 15 drives, 1 parity.. 27TB of storage right now.. around 21TB full

When I buy a drive I usually buy 2 drives.. parity is no substitute for a real back up.. I start copying new files to this other drive and store it at my parents house..

17. #17 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by KPewPew View Post
    Nice NAS speeds Mike- My Drobo 2nd Gen (not S) via USB 2.0 is providing me with ~25 MB/sec read and write. It seems like it's the processor in mine that is bottlenecking
    ~25MB sounds like a USB 2.0 limit..

18. #18 Default  
    I took 300 mbps divided by 8 = 37.5 MB/sec
    Discount by 20% for overhead: 30 MB/sec

19. #19 Default  
    why are you connecting to the drobo via usb anyways? you should just attach it to the network and access it via a mapped drive

20. #20 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by leemik View Post
    why are you connecting to the drobo via usb anyways? you should just attach it to the network and access it via a mapped drive
    Not all models have network ports.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Thread Information