Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Unique, Rare, or everyone can own it; how do you like your goods?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Default Unique, Rare, or everyone can own it; how do you like your goods? 
    Blog Entries
    I saw this on LuxBoston's Facebook and thought it was a cool topic.

Are you more likely to buy something if everyone owned it, if it was built just for you, or if it was hard to come by?

What are the reasons?
    Last edited by 55fanatic; 01-13-2012 at 01:45 PM.
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

2. #2 Default  
    Built just for me.

3. #3 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Lol don't worry about being short with the answer, not like I'm trying to start a discussion about it.
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

4. #4 Default  
    Built just for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    jketch happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jketch View Post
    He was so I just kept at it. When he was reaching the breaking point I hammered it harder for about 90 seconds then let off and left.
    PFFFFFFFFFT

5. #5 Default  
    Blog Entries
    I think for me it really depends on what it is and my level of interest in the item... People buy electronics, cars, food, clothing, etc everyday because there are a lot of positive reviews on a product or brand. I think a number of us like buying certain things because they are hard to acquire and not everyone can find them or can afford them. There are a number of things I buy made just for me, shirts and suits for example are usually getting extensively tailored for me, myself and I. But unlike some of you, I could care less about some hard to find sneakers...

6. #6 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris! View Post
    Built just for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jketch View Post
    Built just for me.
    Pretty sure both of you have plenty of mass produced items? Do you only own one off cars, electronics, clothing, jewelery, etc

7. #7 Default  
    What's affordable.

Because that's all I can afford.

8. #8 Default  
    depends on the item. motorcycles? built for me, hence why i'm slowly slowly customizing the ones i own. clothes? don't give a damn, i'll buy whatever is at the store. Cars? well i want something no one else does for lemons.

electronics again depends. I built my own computer to get exactly what i wanted. but i'd rather a TV/sound system a lot of people own to make sure i'm getting something good.

the more i think about it, the more i'm revising my answer to be i don't care about rarity. I buy things because i like them. If no one else happens to have it so be it. My bike is very rare, but not on purpose. It's just that no one bought them. I didn't buy it because of that, i bought it because i loved the style and bike itself.
    Last edited by cegan09; 01-13-2012 at 02:27 PM.
    Futility Motorsport - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby (dead), Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, BMW 313rx
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    you are definitely one seriously dedicated, possibly certifiable individual
    Motorcycles - KZ400 Cafe Build, XS500 Build

9. #9 Default  
    I guess I like rare stuff.

10. #10 Default  
    To me, just being limited for the sake of being limited has very little appeal. At least not when it comes with a price premium. Like if there is a wallet that comes in black leather and brown leather that anyone can buy for $20 and a pink one that costs $100 or for that matter even $25 I am not going to buy it just because there are only 10 made. If it's something I want anyway I might pay extra. Like my white phone case was like $20 more than the regular one and limited edition, but I only cared about it being white, not about how many were made. I'm not a big fan of buying things just because they are rare. A lot of stuff is rare because it's expensive and expensive because it costs a lot to make because it is made using very high quality parts, etc. I am willing to pay a premium for that, but the rareness is a side effect.

I'm not sure I have bought anything built specifically for me. My desk I think is the only thing I own made for me, but my grandfather made that, so it has lots of sentimental value.

11. #11 Default  
    So I enjoy it.

12. #12 Default  
    Built for me. But I'm going to interpret that as "something that has all the unique qualities I was looking for that others of the same ilk lacked." Something that was built with a specific person in mind who doesn't quite want what everyone one else has.
    '00 Mercury Cougar V6 5spd | '13 Ford Fusion SE 2.0l Ecoboost | My site: Skolenimation

13. #13 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by LastMercury View Post
    Built for me. But I'm going to interpret that as "something that has all the unique qualities I was looking for that others of the same ilk lacked." Something that was built with a specific person in mind who doesn't quite want what everyone one else has.
    This. I wouldnt want unique for the sake of being unique and have to change myself to fit around the goods.
    Oh Yeah!

14. #14 Default  
    I'm not big on rareness per se. Car wise I like to have something that not a lot of people have. My G35 was the only one in small town IL. My GTO was the first 6.0L GTO there. My CLS was the first also and one of the first here in Killeen. Cars is one area where I don't like to be the same. I see 1000 Rustangs, Chargers, 300's, Camaros, etc here. Put some rims on it and they are all alike.

Clothes wise I'll go with whatever is in style and feels good. Only thing I'd say that is exclusive that I wear is BBC and some LV stuff. Otherwise anyone can go to Express and pick it up.

Electronics wise everyone knows I'm an Apple fanboy so I get all the new stuff usually. But not because I'm a lemming and just want to be the cool kid on the block, but because their products look good and just plain work. But I do like to be the first with them. That's about the only thing I can say about being exclusive with electronics.
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    I stopped a moment like that too... I wiped Mat's cheek cause he had nutella all over his face

15. #15 Default  
    respectable, then custom built
    Quote Originally Posted by kevblah View Post
    i love that scope
    Kev: Who the Fuck would buy a P226 in 9mm ME: Ummm the Navy Seals? Kev: yeah well what do they know?
    Retired Professional Troll

16. #16 Default  
    Lol don't worry about being short with the answer, not like I'm trying to start a discussion about it.
    Oh you want me to be specific?

You weren't specific about me being specific.

I like my shirts, and my suits custom made for me. I don't like canned presentations at work, I like to make my own, or work with someone to make them my own.

I don't like what everyone else likes...and dont try to be a follower on anything

I also don't need to have something rare, just because it's rare.

I have specific taste

17. #17 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris! View Post
    Oh you want me to be specific?

You weren't specific about me being specific.

I like my shirts, and my suits custom made for me. I don't like canned presentations at work, I like to make my own, or work with someone to make them my own.

I don't like what everyone else likes...and dont try to be a follower on anything
    Hence why you like wagons. (Ghey)
    I stopped a moment like that too... I wiped Mat's cheek cause he had nutella all over his face

18. #18 Default  
    I prefer women not everyone has had...

19. #19 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Inf4life View Post
    Hence why you like wagons. (Ghey)
    Don't make me pick on you about Ed Hardy shirts

20. #20 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by streetxdreamer View Post
    I prefer women not everyone has had...
    True story

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information