Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Mike Rowe and the Loss of skilled labor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Default Mike Rowe and the Loss of skilled labor 
    Someone posted this up on online and I thought I would share it here. It seems to hit home with a lot of people here, and I think the way Mike Rowe expressed the opinion was great.

Matt

2. #2 Default  
    Blog Entries
    damn well said!
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

3. #3 Default  
    That was great.

It's very true...

Skilled trade jobs aren't as glamorous. But they pay well, and need to be done.

Parents are too worried about there kids getting into good schools etc.

I hope it goes somewhere

4. #4 Default  
    extremely well said!!!!!!

5. #5 Default  
    very well put

mike rowe for president

6. #6 Default  
    +1

7. #7 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    very well put

mike rowe for president
    only if he has an actual plan....

8. #8 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trptguy View Post
    only if he has an actual plan....
    he recognises there is a problem and is trying to do something to help which puts him way ahead of most of the people we rely upon to make our decisions for us imo

9. #9 Default  
    This seems to go right at the heart of the post a few down from this one about Generation Y and their entitlements.

I can't hire anyone who is willing to use a shovel. I interviewed what would have been a new employee and put a D-handle shovel on my conference room table and asked if he knew what it was for. He told me he was being hired as a supervisor and would have no use for a shovel.

I go to the Union halls and talk to new apprentices, very few of them want to actually be an electrician or a plumber. Why do you want to be a_________ and the response is usually 'my moms said it was a good job because I'm not smart enough for college.' I'm pleased their mom thought about them enough to get them into the program, I'm disappointed in they don't want to be an apprentice. It is a good thing to be a plumber or electrician or carpenter. My grandpa was proud to be a carpenter, and he was damn good at it. It wasn't his job; it was his profession.

I wanted to be an Operator. It is what I wanted to do. I am good at it and I would have been proud to be an Operator. I was told to go to college. People like me go to college. But what is it about me that I was destined for college and yet I would have been proud to call myself an Operator.

As an employer, I want people working for me who want to do their job. Who want to do their profession. Who want to be the best at what they do. One of my laborers from the Dominican Republic wears the American flag that is on all our jackets and when people ask him why he wears the flag when he's Dominican, he replies 'because America gave me my house and my children a future.' He has no shame in being a laborer. And why should he? He's making $48.25 and hour with excellent benefits. There's zero shame in that kind of pay rate.

My wife's douchey cousin who works a HR job for some company says she is thankful she doesn't have to do what those 'construction people' while she steps over them to get to her warm office. She makes 30k a year and looks down on the guys making $50 bucks a hour?

We need people who want to do these kind of jobs, and hopefully are good at them. We need no more lawyers, God we have too many of them. Mike Rowe is right, we need to start training people for the kind of jobs that make civilized life possible.

10. #10 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderthud View Post
    My wife's douchey cousin who works a HR job for some company says she is thankful she doesn't have to do what those 'construction people' while she steps over them to get to her warm office. She makes 30k a year and looks down on the guys making $50 bucks a hour?
    this is very true and i see it all the time. however I dont blame her because it's the way she was raised, which all in all is kinda messed up.
    Oh Yeah!

11. #11 Default  
    This seems to go right at the heart of the post a few down from this one about Generation Y and their entitlements.

I can't hire anyone who is willing to use a shovel. I interviewed what would have been a new employee and put a D-handle shovel on my conference room table and asked if he knew what it was for. He told me he was being hired as a supervisor and would have no use for a shovel.

I go to the Union halls and talk to new apprentices, very few of them want to actually be an electrician or a plumber. Why do you want to be a_________ and the response is usually 'my moms said it was a good job because I'm not smart enough for college.' I'm pleased their mom thought about them enough to get them into the program, I'm disappointed in they don't want to be an apprentice. It is a good thing to be a plumber or electrician or carpenter. My grandpa was proud to be a carpenter, and he was damn good at it. It wasn't his job; it was his profession.

I wanted to be an Operator. It is what I wanted to do. I am good at it and I would have been proud to be an Operator. I was told to go to college. People like me go to college. But what is it about me that I was destined for college and yet I would have been proud to call myself an Operator.

As an employer, I want people working for me who want to do their job. Who want to do their profession. Who want to be the best at what they do. One of my laborers from the Dominican Republic wears the American flag that is on all our jackets and when people ask him why he wears the flag when he's Dominican, he replies 'because America gave me my house and my children a future.' He has no shame in being a laborer. And why should he? He's making $48.25 and hour with excellent benefits. There's zero shame in that kind of pay rate.

We need people who want to do these kind of jobs, and hopefully are good at them. We need no more lawyers, God we have too many of them. Mike Rowe is right, we need to start training people for the kind of jobs that make civilized life possible.
    50 an hour for a laborer ? seriously ? i assume hes not just a typical construction site laborer

12. #12 Default  
    Yeah hey man I will use a shovel if you pay me $50 an hour

13. #13 Default  
    50 an hour for a laborer ? seriously ? i assume hes not just a typical construction site laborer
    i dont know what exactly thunderthud is refering to, but we briefly talked about this before ... construction workers make a lot more than the most people think, especially if they are an union worker. there are times when I think to myself ... why am I a civil engineer, spend 5 years to get into debt to get my undergrad and masters degree when i can probably make the same if not more money as a construction worker. 5 years sooner!
    Oh Yeah!

14. #14 Default  
    Prevailing wage in MA is $48.25 an hour for a standard Laborer which is conveniently the rate of a Local 223 laborer.

Here is the standard rates for all trades in the Commonwealth, which are Union rates: http://www.somwba.state.ma.us/Content/pdf/rptMinWag.pdf

15. #15 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cheu_f50 View Post
    i dont know what exactly thunderthud is refering to, but we briefly talked about this before ... construction workers make a lot more than the most people think, especially if they are an union worker. there are times when I think to myself ... why am I a civil engineer, spend 5 years to get into debt to get my undergrad and masters degree when i can probably make the same if not more money as a construction worker. 5 years sooner!
    depends what area of construction, residential or commercial, union or non union, laborer or supervisor

typical non union laborer will earn 15-30 an hour depending on what skills he/she has

16. #16 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trptguy View Post
    Yeah hey man I will use a shovel if you pay me $50 an hour
    I'm hiring two new guys in the spring. It is really cold out there until you acclimate to the temps and always make sure you have the cold weather gear we issue.

And this is absolutely correct. Until I made Project Manager, I made less than anyone on the crew save for a 1st year apprentice. I used to make extra money running a loader second shift and weekends for extra money after college.

17. #17 Default  

Me being the smart ass I am, i would say it is used to dig holes, I hope you weren't expecting a special case where a D handle is used haha.

The growth potential is a lot higher if you work at it. My dad was a lineman for 40 plus years, and that is all he ever was, a lineman.
    Matt

18. #18 Default  
    depends what area of construction, residential or commercial, union or non union, laborer or supervisor

typical non union laborer will earn 15-30 an hour depending on what skills he/she has
    I'm a Union contractor, so I have no real idea of the rates out there other than the Union wharrgrrbbl. I pay it, I get a trained worker with all his certifications and a guaranteed set of skills. It's the basis of my company. I could probably do it with less overhead, but I'd lose the productivity out of my guys. And I like the guys I have, so we make it work.

19. #19 Default  
    Hahahahahah.....I love how asbestos worker is one of the lower hour.y rates

20. #20 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by '[cerberus
    The growth potential is a lot higher if you work at it. My dad was a lineman for 40 plus years, and that is all he ever was, a lineman.
    yup. that is why i havent throw in my ... laptop for an arc welder.

but i think im going to try to get whatever the certification I need so I can operate equipment. I was actually decent with the excavator when I used to practice with it when I get bored workings nights back in New Orleans. never hurt to have back up plans.
    Oh Yeah!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Thread Information