Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Essentials for a home bar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Default Essentials for a home bar 
    Blog Entries
    What would you all say are the essential liquors and mixers and tools to have in a home bar?

Edit:
    List from the thread

Alcohol:
    Vodka, Mixing/Flavored Vodka
    white rum, dark rum, spiced rum
    Gin
    Tequila
    Scotch
    Whiskey
    bourbon
    Beers-Various
    Wine- Various
    Champagne- Various

Mixers:
    Sodas- Coke, Gingerale, sprite, soda water, tonic
    Juice- Cranberry, Orange, Pineapple
    Redbull
    Vermouth
    Simple Syrup
    Lemons
    Limes

Tools:
    blender
    cocktail shaker
    bottle opener
    corkscrew and foil cutter
    cocktail sticks
    good selection of various glasses (and know which each glass is for)
    sharp knife and small cutting board for lemons/limes etc
    bar napkins/paper coasters
    Ice bucket(with extra ice on hand)

Extras:
    Nuts
    Olives
    Cherries
    Onions
    Last edited by 55fanatic; 01-30-2012 at 11:20 AM.
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

2. #2 Default  
    Jack
    A vodka
    A white rum, dark rum, spiced rum
    Gin
    Tequila
    Various Beers

I would probably have a low and high end, mixers can use a lower end, shots use the good stuff.

Various sodas
    Lemon & Lime

Get good glasses
    A shaker set.

Depending on how fancy you are going to make your drinks, I would just read up on the more popular ones and buy mixers as needed.
    Matt

3. #3 Default  
    simple syrup!
    bitters, lime, lemon,
    superfine sugar. The superfine is the important part!
    STI sedan with shocker sticker

4. #4 Default  
    stock a little bit of everything a good whiskey or bourbon is good to have get a mixing vodka and a drinking vodka like a nice potato vodka that would be good on the rocks. glasses are key if you want your bar to look legit get a good set of highball martini margharita old fashioned and wine glasses. keep a few wines on hand too in case some one isnt a beer drinker but doesnt want to be drinking harder drinks. also a jigger and a good drink mixing guide. nothing worse than getting a shitty drink and trying to force it down to not look rude lol
    1991 VW GTI 8V ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)
    2017 VW GLI ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)

5. #5 Default  
    all of the above

tools:
    blender (2 is better than 1)
    cocktail shaker
    bottle opener
    corkscrew (and foil cutter)
    cocktail sticks

6. #6 Default  
    whore / bartender
    Father of Phiff

7. #7 Default  
    roofies. and a TV on the military channel.

8. #8 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Perfect, have to stock the pool house. And I could only think of vodka and rum
    Quote Originally Posted by [cerberus] View Post
    Jack
    A vodka
    A white rum, dark rum, spiced rum
    Gin
    Tequila
    Various Beers

I would probably have a low and high end, mixers can use a lower end, shots use the good stuff.

Various sodas
    Lemon & Lime

Get good glasses
    A shaker set.

Depending on how fancy you are going to make your drinks, I would just read up on the more popular ones and buy mixers as needed.
    We have small Beer mugs, large beer mugs, margarita glasses, martini glasses, champagne flutes, wine glasses, highball glasses, shaker, margaritaville blender, bottle opener

Need to get: cutting board
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    all of the above

tools:
    blender (2 is better than 1)
    cocktail shaker
    bottle opener
    corkscrew (and foil cutter)
    cocktail sticks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppa822 View Post
    roofies. and a TV on the military channel.
    dammit! Knew I forgot something... Perfect!
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

9. #9 Default  
    kegerator is good to have with a multi tap so you can have a few kegs hooked up haha. Stella Artios please
    2017 VW GLI ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)

10. #10 Default  
    Sweet and dry vermouth is a must for any bar. An assortment of whiskers is a good idea too. Canadian, irish, scotch, bourbon, etc

Maraschino cherries, olives and onions are good to keep in the fridge too
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    You.... have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    you have issues.

11. #11 Default  
    RBV. Aka robot water

12. #12 Default  
    Maybe some juices and various schnapps/liqueurs depending on the kind of drinks you want to make. Commonly used juices would be cranberry, orange, and pineapple.

13. #13 Default  
    Get a Boston shaker, more ice than you know what to do with, citrus juice (lemon and lime at least, fresh always better), citrus, simple syrup. Seltzer water is in a ton of cocktails so have a source of that.
    The rest is up to the people you drink with. My personal bar whenever I get around to assembling one will have all of the above, plus:
    Light, dark, and spiced rums, a variety of gin, good quality vodka and silver tequila, mint, ginger, ginger beer (or strong ginger ale, think Vernor's), and the big one for me is tonic water(the good stuff). Keep in mind, mixers are like booze, they range from good to bad.

I also like those little things you use to break ice cubes in your hand. Also, a muddler will come in handy.

14. #14 Default  
    4loko.jpg
    Problem solved
    2017 VW GLI ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)

15. #15 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Intheflesh View Post
    Sweet and dry vermouth is a must for any bar. An assortment of whiskers is a good idea too. Canadian, irish, scotch, bourbon, etc

Maraschino cherries, olives and onions are good to keep in the fridge too
    good call on the olives, and cherries... Onions... never used them, will prolly skip them

Quote Originally Posted by splatt View Post
    Get a Boston shaker, more ice than you know what to do with, citrus juice (lemon and lime at least, fresh always better), citrus, simple syrup. Seltzer water is in a ton of cocktails so have a source of that.
    The rest is up to the people you drink with. My personal bar whenever I get around to assembling one will have all of the above, plus:
    Light, dark, and spiced rums, a variety of gin, good quality vodka and silver tequila, mint, ginger, ginger beer (or strong ginger ale, think Vernor's), and the big one for me is tonic water(the good stuff). Keep in mind, mixers are like booze, they range from good to bad.

I also like those little things you use to break ice cubes in your hand. Also, a muddler will come in handy.
    Have an ice machine, for frozen drink maker... also have the ice maker in the fridge for emergencies

16. #16 Default  
    If you have a frozen margarita machine, you'll want some cheap tequila for that and some nice tequila for shots or sipping. There are plenty of good brands, but if you're trying to put the bottle in a standard well and not on a shelf, the bottle sizes become a pain in the ass. Milagro is a better tequila that has a relatively standard-sized bottle.

In the name of all that is holy, please do not violate your lovely new pool house with a bottle of Jose Cuervo.

-Justin

White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)

17. #17 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Put the list together at the top...

Looks like Im going on a liquor fueled shopping spree this week... a trip to NH state line liquor may be necessary

18. #18 Default  
    Don't miss a really good bar mop and something to put drinks on. Don't know what your bar is made of, but keeping rings off the surfaces is always a hassle. And cleaning up the surface without leaving a mess behind is always an issue.

My 'patrons' are beer people with the occasional scotch; so keeping rings off the bar is a pain.

19. #19 Default  
    Blog Entries
    hahaha

I have a bottle of 1800 I'll prolly send up there. Is that ok for you? I have to go through what I have already before I go shopping
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin.b View Post
    If you have a frozen margarita machine, you'll want some cheap tequila for that and some nice tequila for shots or sipping. There are plenty of good brands, but if you're trying to put the bottle in a standard well and not on a shelf, the bottle sizes become a pain in the ass. Milagro is a better tequila that has a relatively standard-sized bottle.

In the name of all that is holy, please do not violate your lovely new pool house with a bottle of Jose Cuervo.

-Justin

20. #20 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderthud View Post
    Don't miss a really good bar mop and something to put drinks on. Don't know what your bar is made of, but keeping rings off the surfaces is always a hassle. And cleaning up the surface without leaving a mess behind is always an issue.

My 'patrons' are beer people with the occasional scotch; so keeping rings off the bar is a pain.
    Bar is the return on the right...

My 'patrons' are Scotch, ouzo, beer, sam summer,vodke and ice cream shakes(for the youngest ones)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information