Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Official Shaving Thread

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Default Official Shaving Thread 
    I know there are a lot of us that have to shave for work or just regulary enjoy having a clean face. I for one hate shaving with a passion. If not for the Army I would shave once every three or four days. So this thread is for everyone to share their techniques and tools that they use.

Currently I'm just using some cheap Gillette triple blades because I'm refusing to pay $25 for a pack of Mach 74s that only last me a month.

I'm looking at getting into straight razor shaving. Starting out with just outlining then progressing into full shaves.

Discuss.
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    I stopped a moment like that too... I wiped Mat's cheek cause he had nutella all over his face

2. #2 Default  
    I use a fusion proglide, I got a few months out of my last cartridge so it hurt less than it would have. To an extent, you can strop cartridge razors similarly to straight razors, I gave it a shot and noticed that it significantly extended the life of the blades. There are some videos on YouTube, I just ran it backwards down my forearm (opposite the shaving direction).

3. #3 Default  
    i try to shave as little as possible lol. get razor burn like a bitch but mainly becuase i dry shave most of the time in a hurry. i use crew shave oil when im doing a line up works well and its clear so you can actually see what you are doing. i use shick razors but have been wanting to do straight razor. www.theartofshaving.com has some bad ass razors.
    1991 VW GTI 8V ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)
    2017 VW GLI ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)

4. #4 Default  
    I trim once a week.

5. #5 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by DjStarscr3am View Post
    i try to shave as little as possible lol. get razor burn like a bitch but mainly becuase i dry shave most of the time in a hurry. i use crew shave oil when im doing a line up works well and its clear so you can actually see what you are doing. i use shick razors but have been wanting to do straight razor. www.theartofshaving.com has some bad ass razors.
    you dry shave with a razor ?

6. #6 Default  
    profusion or something every morning 3/4 asleep. usually cut myself pretty good.
    Father of Phiff

7. #7 Default  
    Shave every few days with proglide fusion power whatever thing

8. #8 Default  
    i use the mach whatever it is, the one that vibrates (i buy a years worth of blades at a time from bj's, saves a bunch of coin) its the last thing i do in the shower, i actually found a fog free mirror that works, i shave every other day, i go with the grain first then one pass against the grain, ive tried various stuff from the shaving store in the natick mall but gilette gel seems to be best for me

9. #9 Default  
    Braun Series 5 electric razor. It has the cleaner thing that makes the blades smell like lemon. I hate to shave, so the electric keeps me looking human.

I once let my beard grow for a month, and decided to shave when someone commented on my five o'clock shadow. Teenagers grow a better beard than I could ever grow. I have a Fusion for weddings and funerals.

10. #10 Default  
    I've had straight razor shaves at the barber shop and love them.

I would recommend starting with a safety razor and moving to straight razor.
    It is still a closer shave, but much less likely to cut your own throat. Nik's are very likely and you'll need to have some septic handy regardless of your choice.

I use a badger's hair brush and a shaving soap puck.
    http://seattlesundries.com/index.php...&products_id=6
    I also have a fancy weighted handle that takes Gillette razor heads. I don't really have time for a safety razor.

11. #11 Default  
    Blog Entries
    So being the hairiest bastard on here. I have to shave every 20 minutes and use a number of tools to shave or trim. First off for the last 4 years or so I have been using shaving soap and a badger hair brush to lather up my face. It's a process and not for someone who needs a quick shave but my skin and closeness of shave are def improved...

The steps I take now...
    1. Warm up a facial cloth in hot water(the hottest you can safely handle)
    2. Ring the cloth out and apply it to your face while taking care to massage areas where your hair is especially corse. For me this is my neck and it's a real easy place for me to get razor burn.

(steps 1 and 2 should be repeated as needed, the goal is to open your pores and soften your facial hair)

Step 3. During steps 1 or 2 I usually take my brush, and put it in hot water. It starts heating the bristles, this doesn't need to be super hot but shouldn't be cold... The heat the hair absorbs will be transferred to the soap you lather up. If the soap is cold it will close the pores you just opened.

Step 4. Using my favorite shaving soap I lather up some in the container of the soap and then transition that to my face and finish lathering up there. The motion of lathering on your face stimulates the follicle and the hair stands as tall as it can(and will result in closer shave). You'll def develop your own preferences on your soaps consistency; if you like it thicker, you add less water, but for a really sudsie shave, you'll need more water.

Step 5. Shave (and this is different for every tool)

Step 6. Clean off remaining soap and apply your favorite balm.

My tools:
    Soap: I've done the art of shaving stuff, I've used khiels, and I purchased some other boutique soaps, but my favorite is a shaving soap I bought in Sicily, it was 2.39 euros, and has menthol in the soap... It gives a really great feeling while shaving and leaves me pretty refreshed.

Razor: I very much wanted to get in to a straight blade but the cost of entry is pretty high; not sure I want to buy one for $150 and not like it (YouTube some videos for straighblade shaving, it's very different and unless you like cutting yourself, you must be perfect). I ended up purchasing a safety razor instead, it uses titanium blade inserts and gives you 90% of the straight blade shave but with out the dangers. Cost of entry is also much cheaper at maybe $25 for the setup I bought. The blades I use only last for 2 shaves max but for me it's worth it as the shave I get lasts longer.

Everyone is a little different but if I shave using a Mach 3 and traditional shave gel, I need to shave daily(no exaggeration) but with the safety razor I can go 2 days between shaves. I've also discovered that if I get out of the shower and shave right away, my skin is too soft and if I have any imperfections in my skin(such as a pimple for example) it will usually get ever so slightly cut so I generally shave before showering now.
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

12. #12 Default  
    Blog Entries
    I have also shaved with nothing but hot water with the safety razor as its sharp enough that with short strokes, can be done pain free
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

13. #13 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    you dry shave with a razor ?
    lol yup. skin like leather hahahaha yet somehow still baby soft
    2017 VW GLI ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)

14. #14 Default  
    Blog Entries
    lol yup. skin like leather hahahaha yet somehow still baby soft
    Not a lot of facial hair?

15. #15 Default  
    i grow a decent beard i only shave cheeks and throat/under chin area and leave a chin strap. last time i shaved completely i looked like i was 12 yrs old so lol
    2017 VW GLI ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)

16. #16 Default  
    Wish I was a normal asian, that way I wouldn't ever have to shave

17. #17 Default  
    I have to shave every day....i also shave my head

So I have tried straight and safety razor, just way too time intensive with both. Best thing that I have found is the gillete sensors....and cvs aloe shaving cream.....can you tell i hate spending money on this.

If I could I would just gopw a beard and be done with it, but unfortunately I have found that when i have a beard and travel i always get stopped for "additional" security checks.

18. #18 Default  
    i grow a decent beard i only shave cheeks and throat/under chin area and leave a chin strap. last time i shaved completely i looked like i was 12 yrs old so lol
    with moustache or are you going for full on amish look

19. #19 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by streetxdreamer View Post
    Wish I was a normal asian, that way I wouldn't ever have to shave
    I found this website looking around. Need to scour through it and find what I want.

http://straightrazorplace.com/forum.php
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    I stopped a moment like that too... I wiped Mat's cheek cause he had nutella all over his face

20. #20 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    with moustache or are you going for full on amish look
    with a moustache lol i used to not do the stache when i was younger. just had the strap lolol
    2017 VW GLI ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Thread Information