Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Keyport, A review

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Default Keyport, A review 
    Some people know, back in december i bought a keyport. Fancy keychain replacement that looks like this.

06.jpg

The idea is that it holds up to 6 keys in a more organized way. I absolutely loved it at first. I hate clutter on my keychains, so my hope was to get mine down to a remote for the car, and a keyport. My keyport houses my house keys, motorcycle key, car key, and an LED light. All of it works great, however i cannot and will not recommend one of these to anyone that wants to use it with their car. Some car makers use user programmable chips in their keys, so all you do is order a chip from keyport and go through the sequence to register it with the car. Subaru does not do this.

I ordered a chip to have programmed by my dealer because i didn't want to hack up a key. My dealer told me bad or wrong chip, it can't be programmed. I contacted keyport, told them this, and their response was "it is highly unlikely that the chip is bad, try again." I went back to the dealer, and they brought in a third party that does all their aftermarket and non-OEM keys. This company said the same thing "bad or wrong chip." Back to keyport and they again said, "that is unlikely, we'd like your dealer to contact us while trying to program the chip to make sure they are doing it correctly." My dealer laughed at this and was even insulted that they'd imply they didn't know what they were doing. He had tried everything to make it work.

I'm now almost 3 months later and keyport has made no effort to make it right. This morning i had Subaru reprogram my OEM keys because my spare and valet had gotten out of sync with all the attempts, then cut up the valet key. What do you know, wrong chip from keyport. I'm not even bothering to return the chip. I'm going to put the valet chip in the keyport and use it that way.

Long story short, the device is awesome, however i just can't recommend it to anyone looking to replace their car key with it.

Futility Motorsport - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby (dead), Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, BMW 313rx
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    you are definitely one seriously dedicated, possibly certifiable individual
    Motorcycles - KZ400 Cafe Build, XS500 Build

2. #2 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quality product, shitty service... That stinks
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

3. #3 Default  
    Thanks for the heads up.

4. #4 Default  
    cegan09:

I just came across your post, and I am very sorry for the difficulty you have had getting your chip programmed. I am a member of the Keyport team, and I would like to work with you to make this right. If you have a moment, please email me directly at dc@mykeyport.com, and we will do whatever we can to resolve it.

Respectfully,

David

5. #5 Default  
    ^That is pretty awesome though. Props to Keyport.

6. #6 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by steve0827 View Post
    ^That is pretty awesome though. Props to Keyport.
    Not really awesome at all, it took cegan to go public with a bad review of their customer service before they are offering to do something. Who knows if it will even get resolved.

7. #7 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by streetxdreamer View Post
    Not really awesome at all, it took cegan to go public with a bad review of their customer service before they are offering to do something. Who knows if it will even get resolved.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that, I think it's awesome that Keyport even found this and decided to chime in on a forum and attempt to do something about it. I haven't seen many companies do that, especially on a more local forum like this one. I'm not saying that it's good that cegan had to post on here to get a response from them, but I think it's good that Keyport is apparently actively paying attention to what is being said about them on the internet. Just my opinion.

8. #8 Default  
    I agree that it's cool they are reaching out.

I hope Keyport and the very least, uses this as a training tool with their customer service staff. Sounds that the customer service person was arrogant, and unwilling to help.

I really hope that they do something for Chris

9. #9 Default  
    I think the issue should have been solved 3 months ago and not even lead to this pr cleanup.

10. #10 Default  
    Blog Entries
    I think the issue should have been solved 3 months ago and not even lead to this pr cleanup.
    This is def true, But, fact of the matter is they are still trying to solve it, so they still do actually care.
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

11. #11 Default  
    While I agree it should have been solved a while ago, I think it's big of them to come to a local forum and try to fix it.

There are alot of shit head customer service employees, and it's possible this company is becoming aware of it, and trying to make things right with their customer. I deal with it everyday, and have to go in and fix what the last rep fucked up.

I really don't think it's a pr thing, but I'll reserve that judgement til they actually do something a out it

12. #12 Default  
    I will contact them, but it's a little too late. I've already cut open my valet key and am prepping to install it myself.
    Futility Motorsport - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby (dead), Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, BMW 313rx

13. #13 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by steve0827 View Post
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that, I think it's awesome that Keyport even found this and decided to chime in on a forum and attempt to do something about it. I haven't seen many companies do that, especially on a more local forum like this one. I'm not saying that it's good that cegan had to post on here to get a response from them, but I think it's good that Keyport is apparently actively paying attention to what is being said about them on the internet. Just my opinion.
    They most likely found out because they're signed up for Google Alerts and this thread came up because their name was mentioned. Tho it is good that they are using such a resource to address customer concerns that are not being properly, or correctly, handled by whomever cegan was working with. Perhaps Keyport will work better with Subaru to avoid future complications like this, because of this.
    '00 Mercury Cougar V6 5spd | '13 Ford Fusion SE 2.0l Ecoboost | My site: Skolenimation

14. #14 Default  
    Cegan:

I have already discussed your situation with a couple of members of our team. The office opens at 9am PST, and we will give you a ring shortly thereafter. Please email me (dc@mykeyport.com) to confirm your contact #.

Regards,

David

15. #15 Default  
    I talked with keyport today after work, and it appears a lot of this was just poor communication. Their last email/ticket reply to me asked me to find out what the chip code was for my car. I had talked to the dealer, however neither the service department nor the parts department had any idea, they just order new key blanks. Apparently for the 2012 models Subaru changed the chip and didn't tell anyone. They keyport people had actually figured this out shortly after this email, but it never got communicated to me. They did intend to send me a new chip if i could help confirm they had the right information. Like i said, this fact was not successfully communicated. (fault belongs to both sides on this one) My ticket got closed even though i had never indicated that the problem was resolved, which was what set me off to just call the whole thing off.

So, where we stand after my phone call today. Because I've already cut open my key they aren't sending me a new chip (my call), but they are refunding the money for the original chip. I believe an RMA is being opened to get the original chip returned to keyport as well. I was also assured that there would be some revisions to customer support, namely addressing the fact that tickets were closed before they should have been.

long story short, i misinterpreted the intent/tone of some of the replies from keyport, which combined with some slips on their end led to this situation. It sounds like they honestly want to learn from this to make sure it doesn't happen again, so i'm happy there.

I do need to give a lot of credit to the nashua subaru dealer. They attempted the key programming 3 times, while only charging me for it once, and exhausted all their resources trying to get it done. They then programmed all my OEM keys again for me when i found two were out of sync from the various attempts.

with specific regard to the keyport itself, it's awesome. Maybe i'm weird with hating clutter on keychains, but i much prefer this solution to a bunch of loose keys.

16. #16 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    with specific regard to the keyport itself, it's awesome. Maybe i'm weird with hating clutter on keychains, but i much prefer this solution to a bunch of loose keys.
    I'm with you on the keychain clutter. I think I may give it a go noting the caveats of your experience. Thanks for posting.
    --
    Vijay S.
    '09 M3 6MT Coupe
    '99 Viper ACR Twin Turbo

17. #17 Default  
    From the grave, a new review.

Keyport put out their new 2.0 version recently, using kickstarter to fund the project. the new version is all poly-carbonate, comes in black, white, and red to start, and has a couple new features. I've grown quite fond of my keyport in the year and a half i've owned it, so I figured, why not, i'll grab a second. The new one arrived today, and I've had a couple hours to play with it.

New vs. old
    The new one is considerable lighter, and a bit wider. The size is due to the fact that it now has removable end plates that you can order in various colors. I ordered a white keyport 2.0 with optional black end-plates. Honestly the black end-plates look a thousand times better than the whites ones. There is also a new end cap with a ring instead of the old lanyard type. (you can get the new style for the v1 of the keyport as well).

So my impression so far?
    Well, i'm torn. The new version feels a LOT cheaper than the original. I think it's just because this one is all poly-carbonate and the old one had a metal shell. The old one i've abused for a year and a half and it's never complained. The new one just doesn't feel like it can take the same abuse. However the new one is much smoother when sliding out keys. (but we'll see if this is design improvement or just a new item vs old). I'm not going to pass final judgement until I've used this new one for a few weeks.

commenting on the V1, I love it. It's taken all the abuse i can throw at it, all the keys have held up well, and I've never once considered getting rid of it. I did place an order for their bottle opener insert to replace the flashlight, but that hasn't arrived yet. Trying to track down what happened to that order. The only irritation is down to my car. If the chip is not perfectly in the right place in the keyport, my car won't start. Nudge the slide just a little and the car flips out. Not the keyport's fault, it's subaru for making the receiver so finicky. It's not a problem 95% of the time, but once and a while i'll hit the slide with the chip and knock it out of alignment.

18. #18 Default  
    Blog Entries
    If you want to sell your old one gimme a heads up!

19. #19 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    If you want to sell your old one gimme a heads up!
    I need some time to play with the new one. I'm not sure if I want to get rid of one, or make one of them my motorcycle key set.

20. #20 Default  
    Blog Entries
    okie doke... I have an ever increasing number of keys for the gas station... that I would like to take off my key ring, would be pretty cool to get that down to one fob. Although not sure if they could reproduce the keys I need...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information