Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

View Poll Results: If you had 70K for a car, would you buy a new model or a model 10+ years old?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Model 10+ years old

19 63.33%
  • Brand new model

11 36.67%

Thread: Old vs New - 70K budget

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Default Old vs New - 70K budget 
    So as stated in other thread. If you were given 70K to buy a car, would you buy a NEW model or a car older than 10 years old? For sake of arguement we probably should not include any aftermarket mods, or "I'd get a 70K car and sell to profit, etc.." . For example, get a new M3 or an E30 Evosport. Cristov need not answer, we already know, lol. Would be interesting to see answers considering how much technology has grown in the past 20 years. Also for sake of post, should probably go by todays prices and not what car was worth "X" years ago

Admin Edit: remember this is a current model year car OR a car that is 2002 or older for $70k.

2. #2 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Not sure I would buy a 10yr old plus car but nothing up to $100k these days brand new does it for me.

I am pretty set on wanting a W211 E55 and maybe a 996TT, both are available for 70k and would give me way more pleasure than any one car
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

3. #3 Default  
    Old school

4. #4 Default  
    so 5 year old used is no good?

i'd take a new z06.

5. #5 Default  
    Agreed Pete, although I did have to think about this one...there was just nothing that popped in my head as buy me for a new car. I would love a GTR, but cant be had for that price new, and yes some used could be had, but they are newer than 10 years old. So my choice was an older car, maybe a supra. The older cars just seem more raw, thus putting a bigger smile on my face when driving them like they are meant to be driving with much less, if any, electronic aids, etc.

EDIT: Raf, I figured 5 year old cars were too close to today's models, really wanted to make a distinct older school line, thus I bumped it to 10 years, making the decisions more definitive.

6. #6 Default  
    not a lot at 70k new does it for me... so I'd got used... Maybe an resto/mod muscle car or 10 year old Fcar

7. #7 Default  
    assuming the old car will start up fine and run without a single problem, old car for me. for 70k maybe ill get myself a nice E-type and ill be happy.
    Oh Yeah!

8. #8 Default  
    I'd buy a new 650hp GT500 for $54k and put the rest in my pocket

9. #9 Default  
    Funny I have been debating this for a while (with myself mostly). I am hoping my next car is a sporty 2 door to neutralize the land barge I drive now and am looking at this exact max cost. some cars that are worth $20k are as appealing to me as some worth the full $70k. When looking at older cars, this really opens up the field for me.

There are older cars that really speak to me at these prices (mainly 2005 AM Vanquish S, 1970 Merc 280SL or early 60s 300sl or late 60s 280SE coupe, Porsche 356 or 993 911 Turbo). But some new cars hit me too like the Audi TTRS, 1m, and the Cayman R. But at the end of the day, I am going to stick with the older cars because I feel like they have appealed to me for this long and they will probably appeal to me much longer than the new cars. As long as you have another more modern car to DD, this is the way I would go.
    Last edited by chasem3; 03-15-2012 at 09:46 AM.

10. #10 Default  
    I would definately try to find an E30 M3 as original as possible and a Lacia Delta Integrale or a Ur-quat

I also want a lambo diablo for some strange reason.
    STI sedan with shocker sticker

11. #11 Default  
    i would scoop up either a supra or an E36 M3 and mod the ever living shit out of it
    1991 VW GTI 8V ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)
    2017 VW GLI ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)

12. #12 Default  
    70K? I'd pick up a used Aston Martin DB9 or F360 or something like that and keep it stock =P

13. #13 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leemik View Post
    70K? I'd pick up a used Aston Martin DB9 or F360 or something like that and keep it stock =P
    Does custom Amuse Ferrari exhaust count as stock?
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

14. #14 Default  
    Needs to be brand new or more than 10 years old? Do I need to dd it? Factor in costs to run it?

15. #15 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    Needs to be brand new or more than 10 years old? Do I need to dd it? Factor in costs to run it?
    Over thinking this Pete

16. #16 Default  
    new but 70k is a tough price point. i'd end up with exactly what i am buying with money left over.
    Father of Phiff

17. #17 Default  
    Makes a big difference, no?

18. #18 Default  
    I'm torn. On one hand i'd build my perfect Seven clone. On the other i could fund my mustang restoration with that money.

If i was handed the money today i'd probably go the mustang route since i don't have a garage for the seven.

19. #19 Default  
    It all depends on the mod factor.. I'd love to grab something classic and throw an LS7 and C5 vette suspension underneath it...

20. #20 Default  
    Only new car at 70k level I'd want would be a z06, or cts. Maybe a c63 amg

But why would I do that when there's plenty of those cars used in the 45-50k range?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    You.... have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    you have issues.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Thread Information