Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Car Design - Looking for opinions

1. #1 Default Car Design - Looking for opinions 
    Hey Guys,

I've been drawing cars, bikes, planes, boats and just about anything propelled by an engine since 2006. I have been getting emails from transportation design schools for a while now (one from Michigan, California, and one out in Italy.) Drawing has always been a thing of mine ever since I was little, whether it would be people, animals objects, ect. I've submitted a few drawings to a couple magazines (Motortrend and Rides) and they published it in their reader comments section with good praise. I wanted to post a few that I have to see what you guys think about it and if you have any suggestions for them or what I should do.

Enjoy!

2. #2 Default  

3. #3 Default  
    Blog Entries
    You know, the ones in color and the ones in pencil look like they were drawn by two different people. Not sure why but some of the angles on the colored ones just dont seem right
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

4. #4 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    You know, the ones in color and the ones in pencil look like they were drawn by two different people. Not sure why but some of the angles on the colored ones just dont seem right
    The ones in color were done a while ago. Except for the Vette, The other's were done recently. It kind of shows a progression overtime. I was considering Photoshop with a Wacom tablet but, I still prefer old fashioned pencil, masking and markers.

5. #5 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mineutsystems View Post
    The ones in color were done a while ago. Except for the Vette, The other's were done recently. It kind of shows a progression overtime. I was considering Photoshop with a Wacom tablet but, I still prefer old fashioned pencil, masking and markers.
    Thats what I figured... they had a lot more going on... the 2 pencil ones that resemble the F430 and the Murcielago in the middle look more like design drawings... the others just look like you were drawing for fun... all way beyond my skillset! I like the pencil drawings the best!
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

6. #6 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Thats what I figured... they had a lot more going on... the 2 pencil ones that resemble the F430 and the Murcielago in the middle look more like design drawings... the others just look like you were drawing for fun... all way beyond my skillset! I like the pencil drawings the best!

7. #7 Default  
    have you thought about starting by hand and then transferring to digital to clean them up?

8. #8 Default  
    very talented
    Porsche 991 GT3
    & Nardo Grey & Copper
    HRE P101-IPE Catless Exhaust- Teachart Steering Wheel-4.0 Livery Stripes- Carbon Fiber Exterior Package

9. #9 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by John@KaizenTuning.com View Post
    have you thought about starting by hand and then transferring to digital to clean them up?
    I'm starting to get into a program called Alias Sketchbook to convert them to digital and it's much easier than trying to erase previous lines.

10. #10 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    Thanks! What I like to do is look at a specific car and give it my take on it, something like what Zagato Milano does to certain models.

11. #11 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by John@KaizenTuning.com View Post
    This

I'd consider looking into a vector drawing software such as Illustrator over just Photoshop, both are by Adobe.

edit: Didn't see your response to John. I've never used Sketchbook so I can't comment on it.
    Last edited by ensigma; 03-25-2012 at 09:23 PM.

12. #12 Default  
    Some more recent stuff I've been working on

13. #13 Default  
    Latest concept. Not sure what cross of cars it is though...

14. #14 Default  
    The lines kind of remind of the GTA Spano ... Very nice work anyway!
    1999 C43 AMG: E55 18' Monos, K&N filters, H&R Sport springs, Bilstein Sport schocks, Full LED interior, LED License plate, 8k HIDs head/fog lights, 10mm spacers, resonator + 2 sec. cats deleted, AMG license plate cover, AMG flat hood badge, matte black front grill, AMG pedals, 35% tint, yellow calipers, CF door pins, SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads.

15. #15 Default  
    Nice! I personally always think the grey scale looks better, color is so tough to get just right.

Here are a couple I did a few years ago ( I used to and still occasionally draw peoples cars, but realized like any artist you never really get back the amount of time and effort you put in to it ). I still like to do it to keep the hobby and skill though. Keep doing it, it's becoming more rare these days to find a true art that does not involve the computer! I also like the last concept you posted the best so far!

16. #16 Default  
    wow those look great! if you can sketch up some front, rear, side and top views id love to draw out a 3D image of the car
    was never good at drawing cars by hand

17. #17 Default  
    Great drawings! I love to draw but every time I try to sketch a car the front and back look uneven..

Thread Information