Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: body shop with fiberglass experience?

1. #1 Default body shop with fiberglass experience? 
    So, i may have hit a very expensive bump on the way home today. Splitter is pretty wrecked, and the clam shell is cracked. Not sure which direction we'll go for repair, but anyone know a GOOD shop that knows fiberglass well? I don't know if Phil does fiberglass work or not.

Would just be for the clam repair.

Off to hate myself for a while now.
    Futility Motorsport - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby (dead), Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, BMW 313rx
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    you are definitely one seriously dedicated, possibly certifiable individual
    Motorcycles - KZ400 Cafe Build, XS500 Build

2. #2 Default  
    One of my friends had his Elise in the shop for like 15k of insurance covered bodywork. I'll ask him where he went when I get the chance, but I'm pretty sure it was just somewhere his insurance co suggested.

3. #3 Default  
    talk to philsan and see wat he can do
    '00 GS300
    '08 IS250
    '05 IS300
    '73 240Z
    Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Philsans5
    Wes get your hands out of there!
    Quote Originally Posted by streetxdreamer View Post
    spotted LFA in toilet, promptly flushed it
    Quote Originally Posted by MassBimmer View Post
    Hennessey

4. #4 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by the.wong.kid View Post
    talk to philsan and see wat he can do
    I'll talk to him about it. Dad and I just talked. we can go a few routes. Either find another lightly damaged clam, fix it and have it painted, then have this as a spare. have a shop fix this one. or pull it and fix it ourselves then have someone paint it.

we might go the self-fix route since Dad has a bit of fiberglass experience. I'm just trying to collect all the options.
    Futility Motorsport - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby (dead), Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, BMW 313rx

5. #5 Default  
    sorry to hear ...
    Oh Yeah!

6. #6 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Phil is def well versed with fiberglass! A lot of the wide body kits he fixes for race cars are fiberglass. Having said that, maybe you get to add a clamshell hinge as an upgrade now?

Let me know if there's anything I can do
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

7. #7 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Ps front or rear clam?
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

8. #8 Default  
    Front clam. Smacked it on a bump hard.

9. #9 Default  
    back in front of a computer finally. If Phil knows fiberglass i'll give him a call. all the die hard lotus people say you can't fix the clams because of the type of fiberglass they use, but i think they're full of crap. plus i'm not spending 5k on a new one.

I'll see if we decide to take on the work ourselves, but either-way i'll probably call Phil for paint.

10. #10 Default  
    There are a few clams up on eBay and lt for like 1500. Sector111 also has their replacement clams. Give Phil a call though as he knows fiberglass . He Fixed a rebar puncture in my exige rear clam.
    Bath salts and dick pills

11. #11 Default  
    i know some not so handy people who do their own fiberglass after watching a youtube video and buying a sander, so you may be able to pull it off. my understanding is that if you screw up you can always redo it
    2013 Suzuki GSXR600 Street Whore
    2007 CBR600RR Track Whore
    2009 Honda CRF230M Motard
    2015 Toyota Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport Garage Queen

12. #12 Default  
    yea, my dad has been working with fiberglass on boats for years, so i'm sure we can do the work ourselves, it's just finding the time.

the other thing is they way the clam shells are made. The Elise is some sort of injection molded fiberglass, or something like that. The exige is hand laid. Just makes it a little weird to work with.

Still hate myself, but feeling a little better after playing in the blue hills area tonight. We'll figure out what to do to fix it.

13. #13 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    yea, my dad has been working with fiberglass on boats for years, so i'm sure we can do the work ourselves, it's just finding the time.

the other thing is they way the clam shells are made. The Elise is some sort of injection molded fiberglass, or something like that. The exige is hand laid. Just makes it a little weird to work with.
    Okay... I was wondering why people said you can't fix it. I saw Tom's clam when we pulled it, and it didn't look like anything "custom" per say... You can still fix injection molded glass, its just a little more difficult...

Only word of advice I can offer... If/when you remove the clam, pay attention to the shims!

14. #14 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by nperkins View Post
    Okay... I was wondering why people said you can't fix it. I saw Tom's clam when we pulled it, and it didn't look like anything "custom" per say... You can still fix injection molded glass, its just a little more difficult...

Only word of advice I can offer... If/when you remove the clam, pay attention to the shims!
    Yup, i've read some threads about pulling the clams. We've also got PDFs of all the factory manuals, so that will help a lot.

The car will be at the aston martin C&C this saturday so everyone can admire my huge screw up.

15. #15 Default  
    ^^ maybe Phil will cut us a 2for 1 clam special?
    Bath salts and dick pills

Thread Information