Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: car will not start

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Default car will not start 
    ok, so recently i mentioned that my belt snapped. today i went in to replace the serpentine belt and i noticed that my waterpump was totally shot; it was wiggling around freely. so i went ahead bough another and replaced it no problem there. after correctly putting all the belts on and reattaching the fan which is in front of the radiator i was able to start the car and have it running. A few minutes later i wanted to move the car to the other side of my garage to its spot but all i got from the car was loud clicks flashing headlights and thats it. no crank nothing. what can people suggest i do. right now im leaving it to dry off from all the fluid that drained out of the waterpump; i dont know if that will do anything but im out of options i have spent 4hours in my engine with no luck.

2. #2 Default  
    I'm going to ask thecar necessary stupid question. Does it have gas? Any visible damage from the bel

I'm sorry to hear you suffer from Cranial-Rectal Inversion

Quote Originally Posted by jjm4life View Post
    Older cars just have more soul
    Quote Originally Posted by 55Fanatic View Post
    Can you imagine if we had 2 Rich's on this forum? oye

3. #3 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by RAW0330 View Post
    I'm going to ask thecar necessary stupid question. Does it have gas? Any visible damage from the bel
    yes the car has a little more then half a tank. and no damage, from what i can tell my WP stopped working and the belt snapped because of that, thats the knowledge i have gained from my limited reading on this topic.

4. #4 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Battery charged? If the belt wasn't moving alternator might not have been working
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

5. #5 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    Battery charged? If the belt wasn't moving alternator might not have been working
    friend and i tried a jump start, but battery is fully charged no problem there. mind i had the car turn on but a few min later it would not.

6. #6 Default  
    Undo the serp belt and make sure the water pump and alternator spin freely. Double check the routing of the belt. Report back when you outrule a few other things. Try tapping on the starter solenoid with the plastic end of a screwdriver as well.

7. #7 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppa822 View Post
    Undo the serp belt and make sure the water pump and alternator spin freely. Double check the routing of the belt. Report back when you outrule a few other things. Try tapping on the starter solenoid with the plastic end of a screwdriver as well.
    everything spins, i tried removing and doing again, belt is routed correctly. im thinking it may have to do with the electrical system or something but again i am not sure.

8. #8 Default  
    did you disconnect the battery? make sure the clamps on the battery terminals are tight, loose connection maybe

9. #9 Default  
    Try to get someone to listen while you try to start the car(or vice versa). Clicking but no cranking is the noise you typically get when the gear on the starter pops out but doesn't spin, or pops out and spins but doesn't engage the flywheel. Can be caused by anything from a dying starter to a bad electrical connection somewhere. Make sure all your grounds and major connections are tight.

10. #10 Default  
    What type of clicking when you turn the key to start? Is it one loud click then nothing else? Or is it a series of clicks?

11. #11 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    What type of clicking when you turn the key to start? Is it one loud click then nothing else? Or is it a series of clicks?
    its like a loud tick. but the crank shaft isnt getting anything. but yes it clicks like 3 times and then silence

12. #12 Default  
    Clicking with no cranking is an electrical problem... I really think the belt is incorrectly installed, or the alternator isn't working.

When you say battery is good, how do you know?

What year/model car also?

13. #13 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by nperkins View Post
    Clicking with no cranking is an electrical problem... I really think the belt is incorrectly installed, or the alternator isn't working.

When you say battery is good, how do you know?

What year/model car also?
    its a 2000 bmw 323i. i mean its should be working just becuase i had it working with the new belt i turned it on all was good. a few min later i couldnt get it to start...
    battery wise all my light work. what voltage does the car need to turn on 12.67?

14. #14 Default  
    It could be the battery. I've had batteries that read 12V+ but are just at the end of their life and can't deliver enough juice to crank the car. But if you tried jumping it (correctly) and it didn't go then i'd be less inclined to believe it's the battery.

15. #15 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    It could be the battery. I've had batteries that read 12V+ but are just at the end of their life and can't deliver enough juice to crank the car. But if you tried jumping it (correctly) and it didn't go then i'd be less inclined to believe it's the battery.
    Happened to me before

16. #16 Default  
    Check the connections on the starter. You could have bumped the cable going from the solenoid to the starter motor or the positive lead from the battery to the starter itself.

What could be happening is one of the wires is loose, or broken, and is occasionally making contact enough to start. But the movement from the motor running moves the wires away which is why it started once but not again a moment later.

My Crown Vic has done this a few times. The wires are just exposed to the elements and eventually corrode or get hit w/debris and cause a cut in the solenoid to starter motor wire.
    '00 Mercury Cougar V6 5spd | '13 Ford Fusion SE 2.0l Ecoboost | My site: Skolenimation

17. #17 Default  
    I'd say replace the battery... especially in a BMW... Either that, or its POSSIBLE (depending on the type of tensioner) that you have the belt WAYYYY overtightened...

18. #18 Default  
    If the car started the other day, it's probably something simple, assuming that the car sounded and acted fine. LastMercury's suggestion of checking the connections to the starter is a good one. Check all the other wires/grounds too. Autozone can check the battery to see if it's still good or not.

19. #19 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by LastMercury View Post
    Check the connections on the starter. You could have bumped the cable going from the solenoid to the starter motor or the positive lead from the battery to the starter itself.

What could be happening is one of the wires is loose, or broken, and is occasionally making contact enough to start. But the movement from the motor running moves the wires away which is why it started once but not again a moment later.

My Crown Vic has done this a few times. The wires are just exposed to the elements and eventually corrode or get hit w/debris and cause a cut in the solenoid to starter motor wire.
    +1 this has also happened to me. Check your starter connections.

20. #20 Default  
    And disconnect the battery before you start wrenching on the starter. Tho hopefully you know better.
    '00 Mercury Cougar V6 5spd | '13 Ford Fusion SE 2.0l Ecoboost | My site: Skolenimation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information