Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: clutch gone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Default clutch gone 
    so i was driving home from burlington today and my clutch died, the horrid smell and all that good stuff. i did drive to concord were i got towed. anyone know how hard it will be to replace?/ how much ill cost to take it to a shop? its a 2000 bmw 323i

2. #2 Default  
    You are having all kinds of issues lately eh?

How many miles are on the car?

3. #3 Default  
    Blog Entries
    $1200ish if it's similar to my M3
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

4. #4 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris! View Post

Once you start having problems like that it's time to dump it. Just buy 55Fanatic's A4.
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    I stopped a moment like that too... I wiped Mat's cheek cause he had nutella all over his face

5. #5 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Inf4life View Post
    Just buy 55Fanatic's A4.

It is FULLY serviced
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

6. #6 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris! View Post

as of now 169,918 miles

7. #7 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Inf4life View Post
    Once you start having problems like that it's time to dump it. Just buy 55Fanatic's A4.
    in order to buy another car i need this one gone. my parents don't want an extra car in their driveway

8. #8 Default  
    At that mileage, you're going to continue having these issues.

Not to say ownin a high mileage car is a bad thing, it's just going to get costly.

Expect to pay between 1000-1500 to get this repaired.

9. #9 Default  
    the way I see it, you get this repaired and you will be good for another 150,000 miles. the tranny should last you until 250k to 300k. between selling it, tax on new car, registration and other fees, and possible maintenance on the next car you buy, you might as well just get it fixed. It is true that you will continue to have to put money into maintenance (suspension if you have not done it yet, cooling system might need some work), but your possible scenarios are

1) sell car with existing "problems", take a hit on the selling price as it is a high mileage car
    1.1) buy another car and risk having the similar problems in a couple of years
    2) prepare to pay for maintenance - a few thousand (which i must admit is not a small amount) and drive the car for the next few years/next 100k miles

I guess it all comes down to whether you like the car enough to keep it vs replacing it with something else.
    Oh Yeah!

10. #10 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cheu_f50 View Post
    the way I see it, you get this repaired and you will be good for another 150,000 miles. the tranny should last you until 250k to 300k. between selling it, tax on new car, registration and other fees, and possible maintenance on the next car you buy, you might as well just get it fixed. It is true that you will continue to have to put money into maintenance (suspension if you have not done it yet, cooling system might need some work), but your possible scenarios are

1) sell car with existing "problems", take a hit on the selling price as it is a high mileage car
    1.1) buy another car and risk having the similar problems in a couple of years
    2) prepare to pay for maintenance - a few thousand (which i must admit is not a small amount) and drive the car for the next few years/next 100k miles

I guess it all comes down to whether you like the car enough to keep it vs replacing it with something else.
    thats what i have been thinking about, i know for a fact that something will do wrong in the next couple of months, i mean i had it towed 2x this week alone. i really want another bmw but something with more power and less miles for a lower price just b.c i have 4 years of college to help pay for. so basically a car that will last me through college

11. #11 Default  
    Just get an e30 in good shape, who needs more power when you can have more light!

12. #12 Default  
    i think a E36 328is would probably be more fun than a E46 323i. either way though if you are getting back into a high mileage BMW, you will need to worry about maintenance. The same goes for Audi/MB.

I dont know how much money is in your budget, but Ferrari360Man's (formally LotusMan) 350z is probably a great deal. $9k OBO is kinda hard to beat especially since you know the car is well taken care of.
    Oh Yeah!

13. #13 Default  
    get a corolla. cheap reliable and will get you through college.
    1991 VW GTI 8V ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)
    2017 VW GLI ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)

14. #14 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by DjStarscr3am View Post
    get a corolla. cheap reliable and will get you through college.
    say no thanks to that. I had one through college (until buying the M3). might as well chop off my dick.
    Oh Yeah!

15. #15 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cheu_f50 View Post
    say no thanks to that. I had one through college (until buying the M3). might as well chop off my dick.
    i want a bmw, i have been playing around with mine b4 it took a dump and i just started having fun doing all the work and such on it.

16. #16 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Muscle View Post
    thats what i have been thinking about, i know for a fact that something will do wrong in the next couple of months, i mean i had it towed 2x this week alone. i really want another bmw but something with more power and less miles for a lower price just b.c i have 4 years of college to help pay for. so basically a car that will last me through college
    Question: Do you even need a car in college? It's really a luxury rather than a necessity in most campus situations.

17. #17 Default  
    Blog Entries
    What is your budget on a new vehicle?

18. #18 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Muscle View Post
    i want a bmw, i have been playing around with mine b4 it took a dump and i just started having fun doing all the work and such on it.
    do the clutch yourself? not a whole hell of alot of technical stuff mainly its just a bitch getting trannys back on the car without a lift or tranny jack but hell what are friends for. did the clutch in my old civic and my MR2 in my driveway. if you do it yourself make sure you pay attention you the oem parts so you dont end up redoing it all lol.
    1991 VW GTI 8V ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)
    2017 VW GLI ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)

19. #19 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by KPewPew View Post
    Question: Do you even need a car in college? It's really a luxury rather than a necessity in most campus situations.
    id like to have a car just in case, ill be leaving it in a friends garage not far from the campus. it is a luxury, but its one luxury that i would like to have all the time so its at my disposal.

20. #20 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by DjStarscr3am View Post
    do the clutch yourself? not a whole hell of alot of technical stuff mainly its just a bitch getting trannys back on the car without a lift or tranny jack but hell what are friends for. did the clutch in my old civic and my MR2 in my driveway. if you do it yourself make sure you pay attention you the oem parts so you dont end up redoing it all lol.
    doing it myself, i have read into this stuff in the past and alot more the past few days and it seems like such a bitch to do. i talked with a friend, bmw mechanic does all the work on his car and he said even with his experience its a bitch to do. i would rather get a car with lower miles and start over.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Thread Information