Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: W203 6-Speed problems

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Default W203 6-Speed problems 
    Im not sure if anyone on here is familiar with the 6 speed in the W203, but I have been struggling with what I am calling "weird" shifting for the past few weeks. When the weather is warm (yesterday in the 80s for example), shifting is pretty smooth and gear engagement for each gear is easy. However when the temp drops, even into the mid 50s, gear shifts become increasingly notchy. The shift from 1st to second is especially bad until the transmission is completely up to temp, and even then it crunches some times. I have also noticed that when I start the car in the morning (irrelevant of temperature), it sounds like the clutch isn't 100% disengaged for a few seconds, almost as if I were revving the engine and only slightly engaging the clutch.

Some people have told me it sounds like the throw bearing isn't fully disengaging the clutch on start up or between gear shifts causing the problem. Others have said that to check the brake fluid level as the W203 shares fluid between the brake system and clutch system. Based on what i've said above, does anyone have any other suggestion as to what they think may be the problem?

2. #2 Default  
    I'm no benz expert, but i'd look into transmission fluid before I looked into clutch fluid... Maybe its due for a change, or was recently changed and possibly too thick of a fluid was put in?

3. #3 Default  
    1. Miles?
    2. Check brake fluid I'm sure it takes 2 seconds.
    3. Has a transmission fluid change ever been done?
    4. Is the engagement weird when you're driving before its warm?
    5. Does the clutch chatter?
    6. Any noises or squeaks? A TOB will whine most often when its on its way out
    7. Is there any change to your pedal feel?

4. #4 Default  
    yea id check trans fluid and brake fluid before jumping into a throw out bearing being the issue. start with checking the easy stuff first could simply be low fluid.
    1991 VW GTI 8V ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)
    2017 VW GLI ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)

5. #5 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by nperkins View Post
    I'm no benz expert, but i'd look into transmission fluid before I looked into clutch fluid... Maybe its due for a change, or was recently changed and possibly too thick of a fluid was put in?
    That was done less than 2 weeks ago along with the rear diff at European Auto Solutions. I am 100000% they used the right fluid and the right amount, they know MBs inside and out.

6. #6 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppa822 View Post
    1. Miles?

2. Check brake fluid I'm sure it takes 2 seconds.

Will need to do that after work today.

3. Has a transmission fluid change ever been done?

Yes, 2 weeks ago.

4. Is the engagement weird when you're driving before its warm?

Absolutely, feels like there is a bit of a delay getting the next gear to line up.

5. Does the clutch chatter?

It does on startup.

6. Any noises or squeaks? A TOB will whine most often when its on its way out

Nope, no noises that I have noticed.

7. Is there any change to your pedal feel?

No, the clutch feel has been very consistent.
    Answered inline.

7. #7 Default  
    When did the change start? Was it before the fluid was changed or after? If it was before, did the fluid change make any difference?

8. #8 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by nperkins View Post
    When did the change start? Was it before the fluid was changed or after? If it was before, did the fluid change make any difference?
    The fluid change didn't seem to make any difference really. It made the shifts between higher gears a hair easier when the transmission reached optimal temp, that's about it

9. #9 Default  
    I'm going to agree with the others and say it's the trans fluid. Perhaps the wrong kind was used. A lot of cheaper cars exhibit this in cold weather. Tho 50 doesn't seem that cold to cause it.
    '00 Mercury Cougar V6 5spd | '13 Ford Fusion SE 2.0l Ecoboost | My site: Skolenimation

10. #10 Default  
    Sounds to me like you may have worn synchros and the new fluid is so thin that its giving them a hard time engaging properly which would explain the notchiness and that you're having the issues on a cold start. Or it could be the input shaft bearing.

11. #11 Default  
    As I said, I am sure the correct fluid was used, no one knows more about MBs than the EAS techs. However, I cannot rule out the synchronous like bigpoppa said. I started considering the synchros also when the shift from 2nd to 3rd got VERY notchy under heavy load. The synchro idea also sounds possible because if I shift at just a crawl (under 1500 rpm) there are no problems

12. #12 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Moreira_C230 View Post
    That was done less than 2 weeks ago along with the rear diff at European Auto Solutions. I am 100000% they used the right fluid and the right amount, they know MBs inside and out.
    It sounds an awful lot like they used gear oil. Probably the right weight and everything, just too slick for the synchros to work.

You can dump in some friction additive or change out the trans fluid for one suited for synchros and see if that works. I would be surprised if it doesn't.

-Justin

White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)

13. #13 Default  
    I highly doubt EAS messed the car up, they're a Mercedes shop. I would consider adding some friction modifier though.

Tomorrow when you drive the car cold, double clutch and report back. If there are no problems with you double clutching then it may be the synchros.

14. #14 Default  
    Let me be completely clear, the right fluid was used for the transmission. The problems with delayed gear engagement were there long before the change. If someone told me the fluid was never changed, I would think nothing of it.

15. #15 Default  
    I highly doubt EAS messed the car up, they're a Mercedes shop. I would consider adding some friction modifier though.

Tomorrow when you drive the car cold, double clutch and report back. If there are no problems with you double clutching then it may be the synchros.

Very good thought there. That I have not tried. I have however tried pumping the clutch multiple times before getting going to see if it improved anything but it did not.

16. #16 Default  
    Blog Entries
    I want to make a joke about not double clutching like you should and blowing welds on a manifold but while I agree with Big Poppa, could also be an airbubble in the line if its a hydraulic cluch and the clutch really isnt disengaging/engaging all the way
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

17. #17 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    I want to make a joke about not double clutching like you should and blowing welds on a manifold but while I agree with Big Poppa, could also be an airbubble in the line if its a hydraulic cluch and the clutch really isnt disengaging/engaging all the way
    what about a joke about a manual in a Mercedes? lol

18. #18 Default  
    Blog Entries
    its not as funny... ROW benzes get manuals... except AMGs... no AMGs get manuals
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

19. #19 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    its not as funny... ROW benzes get manuals... except AMGs... no AMGs get manuals
    One of the reasons why I didn't but an AMG......the other and far more significant reason being cost. I'll be paying Boston University back for years.

20. #20 Default  

It's not really that big an error if they did it. But the symptoms seem to point to the wrong fluid in there. Problems when cold make me think it's too heavy for the temperature range here, and the difficult shifts sound like a lack of friction additives not helping the synchros do their job. Add in that they're showing up immediately after a fluid change and... well... if it were my car I wouldn't be investigating anything further until I changed out that fluid.

A problem that comes and goes with the temperature is far more likely to be with the trans fluid than the clutch. But if the trans had mechanical issues before the fluid change, it's not as if the fluid change could fix them.

-Justin

White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information