Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Yuppie Rally - The Article

1. #1 Default Yuppie Rally - The Article 
    Blog Entries
    So earlier this month, the local area Porsche Owners Club magazine, published an article I wrote about our experience on the Yuppie Rally... Hope you all enjoy

“The car is smoking too much, I gotta pull over and see what it is” Crackled over the radio
    during the first day of our long journey home from The Dragon. If we were to compare our trip
    to America’s most technical driving road, to anything, it would read like a Hollywood war story;
    The heroes travel to the villains’ lair and after a long winded battle, return home victorious,
    albeit battered and humbled.

Setting out from Aston Martin New England we began the trip with emotions running high
    and a splash of nervous energy mixed in. Eighteen cars in all; a collection of some of the best
    cars dreams are made of… Lotus, AMG Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche, Nissan, and a pair of 1
    week old 2013 Mustangs(Boss 302 and a Shelby GT500) all prepped, stickered and ready to go.
    After everyone collected there gift bags, t-shirts and itineraries we were all called together for
    a detailed driver’s meeting. It was hard not to feel like a celebrity with the crowd of folks that
    came to see us off and a TV station(ok, it was local access) interviewing participants.

After the driver’s meeting the nervousness burned off with every car ignition turning over. The
    caravan to the mighty Dragon was underway. Chris Benvie(Our fearless leader for the majority
    of the rally, as well as one of the organizers), mounted his trusty steed(the GT500), and started
    down the back roads of Waltham, navigating the group to the highway avoiding as much traffic
    as possible. The next 4.5 hours of driving was spent navigating our way through Connecticut,
    New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. The trip down the Merritt Parkway was unforgettable.
    The aural pleasure that came from all 106 cylinders passing through the tunnel on 15 was
    indescribable. As day 1 came to a close… we were greeted by reserved parking for rally
    participants. It was time to unwind as the next day the group had to cover a lot of pavement.

With almost a total of 10 hours of driving ahead of us, the troop started out for our first
    checkpoint, Blenheim Vineyards in Charlottesville, VA. Day 2 offered some unwanted
    excitement off the get go as it appeared almost every state trooper in Maryland found their
    way to our immediate vicinity the entire length of road. With traffic it was impossible to do
    anything remotely illegal, but it didn’t stop Maryland law enforcement from circling us like
    sharks in water.

As we entered Virginia, the group got split up with two cars venturing in to an HOV lane that
    put us in farm country no more than 5 minutes from when we took it. After covering 100
    miles of green rolling hills and passing vineyard after vineyard, Virginia, despite its barbaric
    traffic laws, was my favorite state of the trip. Our arrival at Blenheim was met with an empty
    parking lot; in fact, our “miscalculation” hours earlier landed us ahead of the other group by
    40 minutes. We had our wine tasting, explored the surrounding area, and even got our first
    experience of “southern fixings” while we waited for the rest of the group to catch up. The two
    car rally had an excellent first half of the day.

As we entered Tennessee, we found a stretch of road like nothing we have in the Northeast…
    straight for miles upon miles, straight as far as the eye can see, with no traffic, and perfectly
    paved roads… It was like paradise and the pace quickly reached video game speeds. The closing
    hours of driving of day 2 proved to lift our spirits enough to make us think the Dragon would be
    no match for us. It was the part of the story where the reader can see the fatal flaw of the main

character, but wasn’t able to see what was about to happen.

The Tail of the Dragon has not earned its legend because it’s another winding road up a
    mountain; it is in fact a monster. It is said that in the last 10 years, The Dragon is responsible
    for almost 30 deaths on its 318 curves across 11miles of road. As we gassed up in Knoxville
    with a large crowd of onlookers, we punched in the coordinates for the gift shop half way
    through and took off. It was our battle ground for the next few hours. Blind corner after
    blind corner, elevation changes in mid corner, the road fluctuates almost 1100’ in elevation
    several times over the 11 miles. To give you an idea how serious this road is, the day before
    our arrival, the road took the life of one ill prepared rider. At the end… several passengers were
    sick, a couple cars found themselves in the dirt, and I heard at least one person say, “I am not
    ashamed to admit it, but this road is beyond my driving abilities.” Everyone survived, albeit a
    bit bruised and weakend but we made it.

That night, as a group, we commandeered the hotel lobby and spent the evening sharing
    stories, watching footage, and of course eating more bbq! As a side note the food and drink of
    the trip was second to none, southerners know how to eat and this group knows how to party!

“Good Morning Mr. Ladas, this is your 7am wake up call” Eyes wide open, we began a new
    day, it was time to start our trip home. The day would end in historic Williamsburg, VA… but
    this day, nothing would go as planned. Leaving Johnson City, Tennessee as a group, we were
    a bit on the sluggish side. We were still coming down our adrenaline high of the previous day,
    and our late departure showed it. It wasn’t long before we made our way in to North Carolina,
    the 10th state of our trip. The Basalt Black 996TT, which the group, comically nicknamed Team
    Bath Salts(a play on the license plate) and the 850ci had issues with vehicles smoking; Team
    Wiiide was continuing to experience transmission issues that almost side lined the car at the
    starting line; and our friends in the M6 suffering some mechanical failures the day before, had
    begun looking for a rental to finish the rally in. “I have to pull over, all the gauges are reporting
    ok, but I just need to find out what’s smoking” came from the owner of the 996TT. We found
    the next parking lot that we could pull over as a group to diagnose.

We quickly discovered a seal on a power steering line failed and fluid had been spewing all over
    the engine bay. The power steering fluid reservoir was dry. The race to find a solution began
    and while the majority of the group had lunch, a rescue team had been dispatched out to the
    area dealerships to find fluid along with the chance of throwing the Custom Widebody 993 up
    on a lift to try and diagnose the ailing transmission. The 850 found its way to a dealership and
    was able to diagnose his smoking vehicle as an over full differential. While that group limped
    their way back to our temporary camp, the majority of cars continued towards Williamsburg.

The “injured” teams arrived about 2 hours after the first group pulled in. They were met
    with applause and congratulations as they entered the banquet hall for dinner. Everyone had
    arrived safe and sound. If the day was full of frustrations, the evening was filled with as many
    laughs. The group was in great spirits that evening, even Team M6 who came out to find a
    rental car with all new rally dressings. Ralliers wanted to make sure they got the full experience
    of the event We were ready for our final day… Over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, through

Maryland and Delaware, and on to AC!

It was 7:30 and I awoke to a text asking if I could take my car over to a repair garage and pick
    up our ralliers in the custom 993. The trans had finally died, and the vehicle was immobile. It
    appeared that a second vehicle had fallen. As day turned in to night, and the cars pulled in to
    the hotel one by one, we had made it. Everyone was accounted for even the widebody, sitting
    on a Uhaul trailer, being towed by a Uhaul. Despite the situation, the owner stayed up beat,
    “Hey at least I got better gas mileage with the Uhaul”

In true Hollywood war story fashion, it was time for the heroes’ welcome. The celebrations
    continued till night turned in to day with everyone celebrating with us. Just short of a fireworks
    display, the story was complete!

With no alarms to wake us, no check points or destinations to get to, the next day everyone
    traveled at their own pace, on their own routes.

We had made it 6 days, ~2,500k miles, 10 states, 1 dragon slayed, no tickets - it was time to roll
    the credits.
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

2. #2 Default  
    Great write up Pete!

3. #3 Default  
    cliff notes please

joke . very nicely written

4. #4 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    cliff notes please
    cliff notes: take every HOV lane you find... YMMV
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

5. #5 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    cliff notes: take every HOV lane you find... YMMV
    lol, I did smile when I read that part, thank you

6. #6 Default  
    Blog Entries
    lol, lots of good memories on that trip... cant believe it was 2 months ago

7. #7 Default  
    Great write up Pete, even with the little fibbing

8. #8 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuicksilverR8 View Post
    Great write up Pete, even with the little fibbing
    I wrote it as I remembered it... But My memory isn't what it used to be

9. #9 Default  
    great write up!
    '00 GS300
    '08 IS250
    '05 IS300
    '73 240Z
    Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Philsans5
    Wes get your hands out of there!
    Quote Originally Posted by streetxdreamer View Post
    spotted LFA in toilet, promptly flushed it
    Quote Originally Posted by MassBimmer View Post
    Hennessey

10. #10 Default  
    Awesome verbage...
    1938 Chevrolet Master Deluxe
    1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham Lowrider

TWiG Photography!!!

11. #11 Default  
    ahhh the HOV lane. another one of my great ideas.
    Father of Phiff

12. #12 Default  
    Nice writeup that would have been taken to the next level if there were matching pictures that went along with it too?

13. #13 Default  
    Blog Entries
    There were pictures I sent her that Alex and Doran took... Waiting for an actual copy of the magazine to screen shot it

14. #14 Default  
    great write up
    Porsche 991 GT3
    Green/ Black Iridescent
    HRE P101-IPE Catless Exhaust- Techart Steering Wheel-991R/ Classic Livery- Carbon Fiber Exterior Package

15. #15 Default Love a good read of this site :) 
    For the person asking for sites about dog training certification, dog training cheat sheet, guard dog training ct, , I highly recommend this useful dog behaviourist advice profile or for dog training school, dog obedience training videos, k9 training dvd, see this best dog boarding advice page as well as puppy training schools, dog boarding cards, precision river k9 training, see this best dog boarding, dog training tricks, dog behaviourist certification, read this good protection dog training info not to mention family protection dog training, protection dog training puppy, k9 training collar, try this great dog boarding tips and dog boarding and kennels, dog boarding nashua nh, protection dog training equipment, try this useful guard dog training advice. For dog training bag, dog boarding kennels michigan, puppy training petsmart, read this cool dog behaviourist tips and for how to become a dog behaviourist, dog boarding prices near me, dog training treats, see this excellent protection dog training advice as well as dog training leash, dog boarding at home, dog training clubs, see this good dog obedience tips is good and for puppy training tips for chewing, puppy training pad private label, puppy training classes near me, peruse this cool puppy training tips and dog boarding cary, dog behaviourist calgary, puppy training tips for chewing, try this best puppy training info for good measure.

Thread Information