Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Northeast Rally 2012 wrap up.. A long read, but even longer lasting memories...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Default Northeast Rally 2012 wrap up.. A long read, but even longer lasting memories... 
    Miles Covered: 1511 door to door
    Average mpg: 23ish
    Average Speed: Quick
    Times Pulled Over: 1
    Tickets Received: 0
    New friends made: Too many to count
    Amount of fun had: impossible to measure

Preface: I want to stress this was NOT A RACE. THE RALLY ORGANIZERS DO NOT CONDONE SPEEDING IN ANY MANNER. Some of the things in my story may involve driving quickly, but are done completely by my own choice, and did not give me ANY advantage WHATSOEVER.

This past weekend, we had the pleasure of participating in the 2012 Northeast Rally, presented by YuppieRacing.net. The starting point was Driven Perfection, in Quincy MA. We arrived at the start at 8am. We pulled in to see a vast variety of cars. Audi S4’s, Nissan 350z’s, a Hyundai Veloster, a Mitsubishi Evo, a Mini Coupe, Lotus Exige, and quite a few more. We checked in, and received all our vinyl decals, and proceeded to apply them to our car.

Here’s our Turbo Turd.

We hung out for about an hour, met some new people, saw some old faces, and enjoyed some free donuts and water which I believe was courtesy of Driven Perfection.

After the driver’s meeting, we received our first checkpoint. Wicked CAS in Kingston NH. We arrived at the checkpoint pretty much last, due to us trying to take the long way around Boston to avoid the downtown traffic, only to find out there was no downtown traffic. We got to look around Wicked CAS for a while, and see some of the amazing cars/trucks that they work on, and were fed a nice lunch. Then it was time to get back on the road..

Our next checkpoint card included multiple rolling checkpoints, and then our hotel as the final destination. First rolling checkpoint, ossipee, NH. So far, we weren’t having too much fun on the drive due to traffic, but that changed at one of New England’s good old roundabouts, AKA traffic circles… A large group of ralliers decided to go round and round a few times, holding up the entire traffic circle, and making some locals get angry, while other locals laughed and laughed. Then it was off to Ossipee.. Once we got close to ossipee, we punched the next checkpoint into the GPS. Montpelier VT.. It wanted us to turn left and head towards the highway. That close to the Kanc? I think not. We continued north, and found the always amazing, Kancamagus Highway.. Out of the 10 or so times that I have run the Kanc, this was only the 2nd where it actually wasn’t raining. I was stoked. Such an amazing road to drive..

Then the drive led us back onto the highway to head up to Montpelier VT.. Hey, it can’t always be back roads… We started heading up 89 at a decent rate of speed. Upon checking google latitude, it appeared that we were actually in the lead somehow!! We continued our rate of speed, made a quick splash for gas at the VT border, and continued onto Route 2. All of a sudden, Vermont’s finest decided to see what we were up to. They were very nice, and asked us what was going on, and seemed more interested in our car than in our speeding violation. After seeing the Porsche, the mini & the yellow RS4 pass us, we were back on the road. Within a few minutes, we caught up with them, and the mini & RS4 joined us while the Porsche stopped for gas. We hit Montpelier, and punched in the next Checkpoint, North Hero NY. Upon arriving in North Hero, we found an absolutely BEAUTIFUL area of Lake Champlain. We made a quick pit stop so some could take a few pics, and others could relieve themselves..

From there, it was onto the hotel. La Quinta in Plattsburg NY. We picked up pace, and just before hopping on the highway, I got separated from the Mini & the RS4, and was in the lead. We heard a certain supra was picking up pace and gaining quickly, so we wanted to get there as quickly as we could. The mini, RS4, and us had quite the fun jaunt down 87 and into Plattsburg. We pull into the hotel chanting “we’re #1 we’re #1” only to find Team Balthazar is already there ahead of us!!! So close, yet so far…

We got checked into the hotel, and enjoyed our evening over drinks, festivities, and quite the comfortable hot tub. Wheels up time was 8am…

The next morning was a little rough. Apparently some people enjoyed the festivities a little too much and it showed.. We got our first Checkpoint… The Olympic Center @ Lake Placid. Such a great drive. Nice, windy roads, on a cool summer morning. A little TOO chilly for convertible weather actually… We arrived at the checkpoint a tad early, so the Olympic museum wasn’t open yet. So we hung out in the parking lot waiting for the museum to open..

It was a beautiful little town, and we got to see the Olympic museum, including the rink where the miracle on Ice happened…

Now it was time to get back on the road. You had a choice here. You could either A. Go straight to the next checkpoint, or B. Take a detour up the Whiteface Mountain Veterans Highway, a road that rises 2300 feet in 5 miles… Yes please! We were first out of the Olympic Museum, and first up the highway. We hit quite a bit of traffic, mainly because the road condition wasn’t exactly ideal. It was also frickin freezing! Luckily team Shake & Bake loaned me a sweatshirt to keep me warm. We got to the top, turned around, and made it about halfway back down the mountain before seeing all the other ralliers heading up. Luckily, we didn’t hit much traffic, and the miata is so light, that if you kept up a good rate of speed, you would actually float OVER most of the bumps, making it quite the fun drive.

We picked up the pace at the base of the mountain and made the drive down 87 to Route 7 to Mount Greylock. The drive up greylock was slow due to traffic, but it was still fun. We got to the top, to find the Legacy GT, the TrollFace S4, and R32 were already there. But they skipped the whiteface mountain, so therefore I consider us to have come in first. We hung out for a few minutes, let the car cool a bit, then grabbed our next checkpoint (Quincy MA), and headed out. We decided to take the fun road, and take Route 2 across the Mohawk Trail having some fun, but not pushing ourselves too hard. We got to I-91, and enjoyed a decent rate of speed all the way to the Mass pike.. That’s when I saw it. The Porsche was somehow dead even with us, having taken Route 7 south to the pike and came across that way.. It was on now… We wanted to make it to the checkpoint first… Badly… So we picked up speed.. Wherever we could.. We kept an eye on Latitude, and knew we were close. We arrived at the harbor in Quincy to find the blue Porsche directly in front of us. We both circled around the parking lot franticly looking for the checkpoint worker. As we both pulled up (The Porsche in front of us), my wife jumped out of the car and ran up to the checkpoint worker, proclaiming us the first place into the checkpoint.

Then we got the next destination, the hotel, Holiday Inn Express in Manchester NH. Unfortunately, we needed gas, and the Porsche did not. So they proclaimed victory as they were getting a little bit of a jump on us because of this… We splashed some gas, and boogied up the highways into NH.. We ended up getting to the hotel about 5 minutes before we did. Still not too shabby for our little crapbox.

We checked into the hotel, and I proceeded to head out to the parking lot with my beverages to see who shows up and in what order (I swear it wasn’t to brag because we were there so much earlier than everybody else). Other drivers and I chatted for awhile, and then it was time for dinner. The organizers of the rally had arranged a dinner for us at a nearby bar/restaurant. They also organized a shuttle to take us to the restaurant so we wouldn’t have to drive. We got to the restaurant, and there was a private room for us, already setup, complete with couches so we could relax. The drinks flowed, the food came, and everything was delicious. The organizers then informed us that we could either go to a local Night club, or back to the hotel, and that there would be shuttles for both.

Apparently we missed the memo when he said the taxi was there to take people back to the hotel, and we missed it because we were chatting with some of our new found friends. Upon finding this out, I told the organizer don’t worry about it, and we’ll just walk back as it was only a few blocks… Next thing I know, he tells me that there is a town car on its way to pick us up and take us back to the hotel. He told me it was already paid for, but tried to give me money anyways to cover it in case he hadn’t already paid enough. I refused this, as he had already gone above and beyond organizing the transportation to begin with.

The town car took us back to the hotel, and we met up with friends, and enjoyed a great night relaxing and chatting with our old and new friends… Next thing we knew it was 230, and it was time for bed. We were due to be wheels up at 930am.
    Last edited by nperkins; 08-21-2012 at 02:07 PM.

2. #2 Default  
    The next morning I woke up, started the car, and heard some noise in the top end. I checked the oil, and noticed it was 1 quarts low… As to be expected after spending so much time the previous day over 5000 RPMs… I added more oil, filled up the gas tank, we grabbed our checkpoint, and we were off! Finish line destination… Winterport Dragway, in Winterport ME… 225 miles. We left at about 9:50am I believe it was. We hopped on the highway with the lotus, the 350z convertible, the mini, the challenger, and the supra, and picked up pace. We stopped quickly for gas after about 100 miles, and hopped back on the road. Next thing we know, we are off the highway, and looking for the checkpoint. The supra pulls in for gas, and I am now last in the pack of cars… We realize we are going the wrong direction, hook a u-turn, and boogie back the other way… We pull into the dragway… With the crapbox in first place. I look at my watch… Its about noon. Do the math.

We hung out at the dragway for an hour or two, waiting for everybody to show up… Then we got the chance to run our cars down the 1/8th mile strip if we wanted. I decided to line up against the big turbo supra. I’ve never laughed so hard losing a race… I spun through 2nd gear, and I watched the supra wheel hop away from me all the way down the track. That car can MOVE…

We got our last card, said our goodbyes to our old and new friends and headed home on the 5 hour drive. The drive home was just as much fun as the rest of the drives… Even when we were stuck in traffic. We laughed, we joked, we used the blow off valve to annoy people… It was great.. Then the time came to split off from the rest of the pack and drive home by ourselves. The last 90 minutes just wasn’t the same without the great people we met throughout the weekend.

In the years I’ve been doing driving events like this, this was by far the most well organized event I’ve ever participated in… I can’t wait for next year, to not only see what the YuppieRacing guys do next, but to see all the new friends I’ve made again..

Please let me know if I missed anything, or if you have pictures you think would fit well in the story..

3. #3 Default  
    Awesome write-up, awesome little car, awesome story. It was absolutely the most fun I've had at any event, driving event or otherwise. Thanks again to Pete and Chris for putting this together, not a single detail was overlooked and it showed!

4. #4 Default  
    Awesome write-up noah. I really wish I couldve made it
    STI sedan with shocker sticker

5. #5 Default  
    A little sad I couldn't make it this year, but adventures were had anyway. Nicely written up.
    Futility Motorsport - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby (dead), Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, BMW 313rx
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    you are definitely one seriously dedicated, possibly certifiable individual
    Motorcycles - KZ400 Cafe Build, XS500 Build

6. #6 Default  
    damn, I am having a much harder time coming back to reality than I thought I would....Nothing that a little purchase for the car can't fix however

7. #7 Default  
    Oh... And I forgot to mention the mod list for next year has been made.

- Gear swap. Probably 4.10 LSD rear, HOPEFULLY 3.90 LSD rear.
    - Full Cage add on. Car felt sketchy over 100 with just a roll bar.
    - Finish the 16" wheels and put tires on them (Taller tires to add more gear)
    - Improve system electronics reliability
    - Find better 2 way Radio Solution
    - Intercooler and retune
    - Oil Cooler (Those high RPM's were cooking the oil)
    - Remove Power Steering & Convert rack to manual rack (The fluid was getting too cooked, and you don't even need it in this car)
    - G String Top to provide SOME sort of shade.
    - New Coilovers and poly suspension bushings.

8. #8 Default  
    That yellow S4 is an RS4 ;)

Great write up man!

9. #9 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris! View Post
    That yellow S4 is an RS4 ;)

Great write up man!
    Fixed... ;)

10. #10 Default  
    Great write up! Now that the rally is over, tell me about that Porsche curse??? We managed to make it home in one piece haha.
    Time Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year

11. #11 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Great write up! Now that the rally is over, tell me about that Porsche curse??? We managed to make it home in one piece haha.
    lol... The curse is that as far as I can remember, a porsche has never finished one of these rallies. The first year some guys just left after checkpoint one... Another year Russ had a flat tire and couldn't get a replacement... Then a few years ago Sam's car died a day or two before the rally... So congrats!

12. #12 Default  
    Great write-up. Nice meeting/driving with you! I'll be honest when you were posting the list of things you needed to finish before the rally in the prep thread I didn't think your car would make it the whole way, major props for getting it all together

13. #13 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh S View Post
    Great write-up. Nice meeting/driving with you! I'll be honest when you were posting the list of things you needed to finish before the rally in the prep thread I didn't think your car would make it the whole way, major props for getting it all together
    Thanks... That's what made me the happiest of the whole trip... Everybody seeing the car shortly before and even at the beginning of the rally and having that "Somebody's gonna need AAA" look on their faces, then walking up to me through the weekend and telling me how impressed they were with the little crapbox. Made me feel accomplished, and all the hard work and late nights worth it.

I want a rematch on that drag race though... I saw the video... What a GOD AWFUL launch I had... When I'm not worried about assploding the rear diff if I launch it too hard... I at least want to hang to the 330 mark... And I'm also researching adding Launch/Traction Control to the MegaSquirt... Its been done a few times, and will probably require me to write some code... But it would be AWESOME if I can do it.

14. #14 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by nperkins View Post
    lol... The curse is that as far as I can remember, a porsche has never finished one of these rallies. The first year some guys just left after checkpoint one... Another year Russ had a flat tire and couldn't get a replacement... Then a few years ago Sam's car died a day or two before the rally... So congrats!
    It's not that my car died. It just didn't have an engine in it when the rally started. Or for the following two months.
    Samuel C. Lurie - Owner/President
    The Beantown Sound - Professional Disc Jockey Services
    -----------------------------
    2012 Mercedes S65-AMG
    2011 Ford E350 Quigley 4x4
    2002 Porsche 996TT

15. #15 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam @ The Beantown Sound View Post
    It's not that my car died. It just didn't have an engine in it when the rally started. Or for the following two months.
    That just sounds terribly inconvenient.
    Time Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year

16. #16 Default  
    amazing
    Porsche 991 GT3
    Green/ Black Iridescent
    HRE P101-IPE Catless Exhaust- Techart Steering Wheel-991R/ Classic Livery- Carbon Fiber Exterior Package

17. #17 Default  
    Just went through the pictures on my phone from Drynk - we definitely didn't have any fun there on Saturday... haha

18. #18 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by THawes View Post
    Just went through the pictures on my phone from Drynk - we definitely didn't have any fun there on Saturday... haha
    Kinda sad I missed it... But at the same time.. We had a blast hanging out at the hotel... I learned lots of new things... Like Nantucket Red is an actual color lol.

19. #19 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by THawes View Post

Kinda sad I missed it... But at the same time.. We had a blast hanging out at the hotel... I learned lots of new things... Like Nantucket Red is an actual color lol.
    I should have stayed in lol

20. #20 Default  
    Lmao

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information