Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Anyone Know Anything About 3D Printers?

1. #1 Default Anyone Know Anything About 3D Printers? 
    Tom and I are thinking of buying/building one. We both have the mechanical know-how, but our programing skills are limited at best.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    You.... have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    you have issues.

2. #2 Default  
    I would just buy one honestly. You can get a desktop sized one for a couple thousand, and it comes ready to go. They usually come with all the software you need, just setup and go. I've been tempted in the past to get one, but can't justify the cost for the limited use it would get.

3. #3 Default  
    There's us ones on eBay for ~500, but comes with no support. That's what we were looking at. I would like to think we have the know how to operate it using free source code (of ehich there seems to be an abundance) but code is like sanscrit to me.
    You.... have problems.
    you have issues.

4. #4 Default  
    I believe that there is open-source 3D modeling software that is compatible with the Reprap line of printers but I'm not sure. It also may be possible that they can read solidworks files which would be a huge plus for some of the items we are looking to manufacture because SW works with AutoCAD.

5. #5 Default  
    Most of them need some software to take the cad file, and break it into useful info for the printer. I've never looked into the open source stuff though.

the only one i've ever really used was a dimension printer at school. the software was pretty good, and damn easy to use, but they aren't cheap.
    http://www.dimensionprinting.com/3d-...ng-1200es.aspx

we made things like this for our senior project.

share what you end up doing though. Someday i'll probably end up buying one.

6. #6 Default  
    Ive been thinking about buying one for my company also. Was just gonna grab a makerbot to start.
    STI sedan with shocker sticker

7. #7 Default  
    3d shockers?
    Father of Phiff

8. #8 Default  
    You need CAM software to write code for the printer to read. There are a number of open source cam programs that will work.

What is the goal? Depending on the medium you will not get anything durable enough to do anything but part fitment with. If you are looking at making a LOT of parts, I would look at a good printer. If you just need to make a few, check out sites like quick parts.com or protomold.com or something similar.

I have seen homemade printers that use ABS as a medium to build the part. I am not sure how close your tolerances can be without the ABS fusing different parts together. THere is a big thing that people will be able to print off guns with open sorce 3d files.
    Matt

9. #9 Default  
    can you make one of these?
    1991 VW GTI 8V ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)
    2017 VW GLI ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)

10. #10 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by [cerberus] View Post
    You need CAM software to write code for the printer to read. There are a number of open source cam programs that will work.

What is the goal? Depending on the medium you will not get anything durable enough to do anything but part fitment with. If you are looking at making a LOT of parts, I would look at a good printer. If you just need to make a few, check out sites like quick parts.com or protomold.com or something similar.

I have seen homemade printers that use ABS as a medium to build the part. I am not sure how close your tolerances can be without the ABS fusing different parts together. THere is a big thing that people will be able to print off guns with open sorce 3d files.
    ultimate goal is produce some prototypes for the 'wigits' tom and I are looking to have manufactured.

or we may use the protypes as a positive cast to make some injection-molding molds.

ABS plastic will probably be sufficient (even for the end product) for what we want to do.
    You.... have problems.
    you have issues.

11. #11 Default  
    Look into quick parts, my company uses them, and they can have a part to you in 3 days that is super precise. Again it is all based on volume, and how much 3d design you do before creating apart for testing.

To do an injection mold, you will need more advanced tooling then some type of positive negative mold. You will not be able to cast with anything strong enough to hold up to plastic injection that will not damage the prototype part before the cast is finished.
    Matt

12. #12 Default  
    I'll pitch in if you plan on buying one. As long as I have access to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevblah View Post
    i love that scope
    Kev: Who the Fuck would buy a P226 in 9mm ME: Ummm the Navy Seals? Kev: yeah well what do they know?
    Retired Professional Troll

Thread Information