Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Commercial property advice

1. #1 Default Commercial property advice 
    ** This is not to be mentioned to anyone in the shooting community until it becomes a reality. I am probably going to be stepping on toes and pissing people off by doing this so please do not discuss this until further notice. ****

Well I think I'm going to pull the Trigger in 2013 and open up shop. Going to mainly stick to transfers and accessories and possibly teach my classes there as well. I'm looking for a something in the north shore that's easily accessible. Not looking for tons of space but something with a back room, a decent area in the main room and not anything too expensive. As far as I'm concerned I can do transfers in an area the size of a closet but I feel things are going to escalate quickly once it gets going and I will need the extra space.

For those of you that own business and companies with a store front what would you recommend to a first time renter.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevblah View Post
    i love that scope
    Kev: Who the Fuck would buy a P226 in 9mm ME: Ummm the Navy Seals? Kev: yeah well what do they know?
    Retired Professional Troll

2. #2 Default  
    sell ammo.

I don't have a storefront, but I do have commercial space. Only advice I can give you in this respect is to find a good landlord to work with. Ours is awesome. Before getting this space, we went to a few buildings with dbag landlord that refused to divide the space, refused to modify the space in any way (they wouldn't even put up a door for example), wanted a whole year rent pre-paid because we were a startup, and were expensive.

The guy we have now is very nice. I think he wanted 2 or 3 months up front and made several modifications up front to our first office. He's very easy to deal with for anything that comes up. Plus he has a 997 so obviously a man of good taste.

The few gun stores I have been to are: 1) tiny, 2) not really noticeable to passers by. I would think for retail these would be drawbacks, but for gun stores it does not seem to be an issue. Sounds like you are looking to keep within this model.
    Last edited by Big Pete; 10-01-2012 at 06:49 PM.

3. #3 Default  
    ammo sales are complimentary to firearms sales and due to shipping costs I'd never be able to keep up with FS or Walmart since they buy direct and in quantities of epic proportions so I will not sell ammo right away as buying it is always a sunk cost
    i love that scope
    Kev: Who the Fuck would buy a P226 in 9mm ME: Ummm the Navy Seals? Kev: yeah well what do they know?

4. #4 Default  
    never compete on price with wal mart. but wal mart only stocks the more common calibers, from what I can tell.

5. #5 Default  
    Gonna take a while to get actual inventory. I am going to focus on competitive Transfer prices to get the bills paid as I slowly build inventory.
    i love that scope

6. #6 Default  
    IMO if you are gonna go for it then go the whole way and sell everything possible to sell so your customers can get everything they need from you, don't give them a reason to go elsewhere. You need to be a one stop shop for your customers or they will go to someone who is, you are a good guy and people will buy from you because of this and because you will give great knowledge and service, if you are charging a few bucks more than Walmart they won't give a shit.

I would definitely pick the town you set up shop in very carefully but assume the exact location is not as important, buying a gun or ammo is hardly an impulse buy based on seeing a shiny thing in a window so you can afford to be hidden away which will obviously allow you to shop around a lot more and be a lot more picky.

One of the most useful things we ever did was go visit a similar store to ours in a different state (meeting was set up by a mutual supplier) obviously he had nothing to lose as we were not direct competition so he spoke very openly about everything, we ended up spending the day with him and we all learned a lot.

Plan your business very carefully and make sure you have a good model in place before you do anything

7. #7 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    buying a gun or ammo is hardly an impulse buy based on seeing a shiny thing in a window
    Hi Stephen, It's JD. Did you forget about 95% of My purchases? lol
    i love that scope

8. #8 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    One of the most useful things we ever did was go visit a similar store to ours in a different state (meeting was set up by a mutual supplier) obviously he had nothing to lose as we were not direct competition so he spoke very openly about everything, we ended up spending the day with him and we all learned a lot.
    This is Key advice thank you
    i love that scope

9. #9 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wolf View Post
    Hi Stephen, It's JD. Did you forget about 95% of My purchases? lol
    yeah, me too lol

Thread Information