Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: CB Radios

1. #1 Default CB Radios 
    Blog Entries
    I seem to recall more than a few people using them on the Northeast Rally. Who are you using them to communicate with? Each other? Truckers? What kind of distance are they good for?

Does anyone make a low profile radio that can be hidden in a glove box?
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

2. #2 Default  
    In past years we have used them to communicate multiple ways because of their increased range over 2 ways (could get a solid few miles if the antenna is tuned)... But in the miata it doesn't work as well. I'm going to have to figure out a new solution for next year.

The rule was always... When on a highway, tune to trucker channels and listen/chat with truckers. When off the highway, go to other channel and chat/communicate with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    brass isn't good enough for those guys. Too heavy. They have burnt titanium because they are that awesome.

3. #3 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nperkins View Post
    In past years we have used them to communicate multiple ways because of their increased range over 2 ways (could get a solid few miles if the antenna is tuned)... But in the miata it doesn't work as well. I'm going to have to figure out a new solution for next year.

The rule was always... When on a highway, tune to trucker channels and listen/chat with truckers. When off the highway, go to other channel and chat/communicate with each other.
    You have to tune an antenna? It's not a matter of plopping a 4' whip on your trunk?

What is the reaction with truckers when they figure out who you are? Positive/Negative?
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

4. #4 Default  
    It will work, but its more efficient if its tuned unless you are using something like a firestick, which comes pre-tuned...

I have a CB-205... At the top of the bubble part in the middle of the antenna is a set screw.. you loosen the screw, and raise or lower the upper antenna in 1/8" increments, then place test "calls", while looking at a meter. It will help you find your antenna's "sweet spot".
    brass isn't good enough for those guys. Too heavy. They have burnt titanium because they are that awesome.

5. #5 Default  
    Just get amateur radio rig. 50mile range. Certification is easy to pass.
    STI sedan with shocker sticker

6. #6 Default  
    I wish it was possible to talk to the rest of the people who are on 2 ways. No use having one with no one to talk to.

7. #7 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    I wish it was possible to talk to the rest of the people who are on 2 ways. No use having one with no one to talk to.
    On NER I think 3 cars had them, but you end up keeping both

8. #8 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    On NER I think 3 cars had them, but you end up keeping both
    Yeah this year it was us, Dmitry, Emilio, and I think 1 other had them. Previous years there were many more. We'll figure out a better way for it to work in the convertible for next year. I may fab up a completely new custom center console with PA speaker that I can tie in the scanner, CB, and 2 way...

Thread Information