Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Just bought a new Mac Mini..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Default Just bought a new Mac Mini.. 
    Who knew B&H Photo also sells computer gear for cheap and with free shipping + no tax. I ended up getting:

Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 = $564.95
    Crucial 8GB (2X4GB) SO-DIMM DDR3 = $39.30
    Crucial 256GB m4 SSD 2.5" SSD = $179.99
    Parallels Software = FREE
    Mountian Lion OSX upgrade = FREE

$784.24 shipped / no tax

...and because it's B&H I'll probably get it on Mon or Tues.. I'll do a fresh install of Lion on the SSD and use the 500GB SATA drive as data in a dual drive config

--mike

2. #2 Default  
    Lion upgrade is free from apple if you buy between certain dates. Search apple for free lion upgrade and you get a code from the app store.

Bootcamp install is win
    I am not a 14 year old girl, but I play one on the internet.

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say 'I don't know what these dangly things are, but I am going to yank on them and drink whatever comes out.'

3. #3 Default  
    Parallels > bootcamp

Fuckin hate bootcamp having now used parallels...ugh want to switch lol

Anywho nice pickup mr lee

4. #4 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by John@KaizenTuning.com View Post
    Parallels > bootcamp

Quite correct, Parallels is awesome. I have been using it for some years now, and have done many installs for people.

I agree, the Mac Mini is nice and good price!
    CLS500 |AMG Package | Premium Package | Lighting Package | Entertainment Package | iPod Kit | Keyless Go | Parktronic | Distronic | Hands Free Communication | Bluetooth | Trunk Closer | Voice Command

R500 | Premium Package | Lighting Package | Entertainment Package | Parktronic | Hands Free Communication | Bluetooth | Chrome Package | On 20's

E320 | On Chrome 16's

5. #5 Default  
    After using this mac for a couple of days now.. I'm loving it!

Lion seems to have addressed the many annoying little things about Leopard that i could not stand and had me running back to windows 7. I feel like this is the first version of OSX that I can actually use on a daily basis.. for work and as a personal desktop.. still no gaming of course LOL

after upgrading to the SSD, I can boot to the desktop in just 5 secs! The computer is just so responsive sandy bridge core i5 rocks!

and i love the magic mouse too .. gestures make life so nice..

Now, I want one of those new Macbook Pro's with 2560x1440!!!

oh BTW, anyone have a spare win 7 serial they want to donate? =P

6. #6 Default  
    have one. display is insane. have the 15, with 2.7, 16gig and 700 ssd

Like it a lot

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say 'I don't know what these dangly things are, but I am going to yank on them and drink whatever comes out.'

7. #7 Default  
    ^^ U are so ballar!!! I envy...

one day i will have one.. just not this month, not ballar enough.. maybe in a couple of months =P

8. #8 Default  
    I bought it to get rid of a mac air that I had and a desktop system. the desktop was a PC. the desktop took up a bunch of room and basically was only used to run a couple of programs that dont work well with other programs that are on my work PC. the mac air had only a 125 ssd in it which I consumed for the most part.

Yes it was s bit on the pricy side, but the desktop was 10 years old and I have been good this year.

On a side note. I found a song that was corrupted in my itunes that was taking up 19gig of space. Sort by size is something worth doing if you use itunes

9. #9 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by John@KaizenTuning.com View Post
    Parallels > bootcamp

i found running bootcamp the mac was slower. i agree split the harddrive
    as for the lion osx isnt it free? i downloaded it and had it running within the hour layout is pretty cool very similar to windows 8

10. #10 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by leemik View Post
    After using this mac for a couple of days now.. I'm loving it!

Lion seems to have addressed the many annoying little things about Leopard that i could not stand and had me running back to windows 7. I feel like this is the first version of OSX that I can actually use on a daily basis.. for work and as a personal desktop.. still no gaming of course LOL

after upgrading to the SSD, I can boot to the desktop in just 5 secs! The computer is just so responsive sandy bridge core i5 rocks!

and i love the magic mouse too .. gestures make life so nice..

Now, I want one of those new Macbook Pro's with 2560x1440!!!

oh BTW, anyone have a spare win 7 serial they want to donate? =P
    Awesome, I have the same SSD, 256GB drive in my new custom built system. I am debating on putting Win8 on it, so I may **cough cough** pass you my old Win7 serial. I am still enjoying my iMac 27 inch, only mod I madfe was upgrading to 16GB RAM.
    CLS500 |AMG Package | Premium Package | Lighting Package | Entertainment Package | iPod Kit | Keyless Go | Parktronic | Distronic | Hands Free Communication | Bluetooth | Trunk Closer | Voice Command

R500 | Premium Package | Lighting Package | Entertainment Package | Parktronic | Hands Free Communication | Bluetooth | Chrome Package | On 20's

E320 | On Chrome 16's

11. #11 Default  
    Thx for the offer but i found a work around for the W7 "serial issue" =P

I ended up with 16GB of memory too .. i found a pair 8GB sticks for $64 shipped.. so now the 8GB mem is spare..an excuse to buy a low end retina MacBook Pro!! MUAHAHa

EDIT: oh wow.. just found out MBP memory is soldered on to motherboard!! =(
    Last edited by leemik; 08-27-2012 at 03:31 PM.

12. #12 Default  
    EDIT: oh wow.. just found out MBP memory is soldered on to motherboard!! =(
    Is that just on the Retina MBP's? The regular MBP's have two RAM slots on them.

13. #13 Default  
    looks like it's the retina ones.. and you can't do a simple SSD upgrade either.. nor change the battery without sending it back to apple..

holy crap..maybe i'll wait til the next iteration of MBP =/

14. #14 Default  
    looks like it's the retina ones.. and you can't do a simple SSD upgrade either.. nor change the battery without sending it back to apple..

holy crap..maybe i'll wait til the next iteration of MBP =/
    You serious? Wow..Apple is really trying to keep you from changing parts. I recently upgrading a friend of mine to an SSD on hi iMac 24 and it was the devil getting that done. The problem was the short a$$ SATA cable.

I am going to do the Win8 move, getting my TechNet subscription on the low low...

E320 | On Chrome 16's

15. #15 Default  
    Oh lord im struggling to edit the C&C photos on my new Macs because the Apple Magic Mouse is killin' me... It's frustrating as hell to use with photo editing software .. Has apple ever created a "good" mouse? Every single mouse they have ever sold has been a huge heaping pile of dung!!!

It's so bad I need to return it for the multi-touch track pad (so i can still multi-gesture) and a regular two button scroll wheel mouse before I can finish the pics.

16. #16 Default  
    Oh lord im struggling to edit the C&C photos on my new Macs because the Apple Magic Mouse is killin' me... It's frustrating as hell to use with photo editing software .. Has apple ever created a "good" mouse? Every single mouse they have ever sold has been a huge heaping pile of dung!!!

It's so bad I need to return it for the multi-touch track pad (so i can still multi-gesture) and a regular two button scroll wheel mouse before I can finish the pics.
    How did that "one pic" come out?? Also, did you happen to get a shot of the No Homo license plate??
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    I stopped a moment like that too... I wiped Mat's cheek cause he had nutella all over his face

17. #17 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Inf4life View Post
    How did that "one pic" come out?? Also, did you happen to get a shot of the No Homo license plate??
    Those two shots were taken on my 5D.. I still haven't gotten to that memory card yet.. still working ones off my 1D before I gave up last night.. I guess I could have just switched back over to my PC but I'm stubborn =P going to buy a new mouse after I eat lunch =)

18. #18 Default  
    Those two shots were taken on my 5D.. I still haven't gotten to that memory card yet.. still working ones off my 1D before I gave up last night.. I guess I could have just switched back over to my PC but I'm stubborn =P going to buy a new mouse after I eat lunch =)
    Word. Will be awaiting the greatness that are Mike Lee pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    I stopped a moment like that too... I wiped Mat's cheek cause he had nutella all over his face

19. #19 Default  
    Well that didn't last very long... I ended up installing Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 on my MacMini ... and it's now running my website MUAHAHA..

This is not a Bootcamp install.. It is a straight Win2K8 server R2 x64 install.. Some small config tricks were needed to get it to work but it did.. MacMini makes a great Windows server.. small, quiet, fast, low power draw..

Fret not Mac fanboys, I ended up dual booting OSX Mountain Lion and Windows 7 on all my other PC's =P

my new media PC.. Sandy Bridge Core i7 dual boot Mountain Lion Windows 7

my eyefinity gaming setup Core i7 930 dual boot with Mountain Lion and Win 7..all three monitors work in OSX

taking the place of the macmini is an old core i5-750 dual boot with Mountain Lion and Win 7

My macs run Windows and my windows PC's run OSX! LOLOLOLOLOLOL

oh and my new 13" macbookair!

20. #20 Default  
    mac fanboy for dayssss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information