Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Under what circumstances is a company required to pay you for downtime?

1. #1 Default Under what circumstances is a company required to pay you for downtime? 
    So, continued from the hurricane thread I now have the full story on what happened. When the power was shut off by National Grid to fix a downed line in E. Boston they didn't turn ours back on (in Chelsea) because of a problem with the wiring on the property. Place is old and has tons of issues and probably safety violations here & there.

When they finally fixed the wiring issue an inspector came in and discovered the areas around the electrical rooms were not up to code as far as fire doors go. So the company had to order 14 doors and have them installed. In total we were out of work for a week & a half.

Mass law states a workplace does not have to pay hourly employees if the company is closed be it expected or unexpectedly. But this is for weather related concerns as far as I could tell. Since this escalated into what I assume is a safety violation I'm not sure where it falls. As of now we were all told that we'll have to use any sick & vacation time to cover the lost hours. Not everyone has enough and on top of that they're still doing the usual 2-week shutdown in December so people will be screwed again.

I'll have to call the unemployment place tomorrow and explain to them the full situation and see if they know how it's handled. Because even if we can collect it's only 50% of ones income and it would be at least 5 weeks before you saw a check for that.

Seeing how Mass is an employer-at-will state it sounds like we're screwed. But I didn't know if anyone else knew more like if a company could collect on insurance for loss of income due to weather or something.
    '00 Mercury Cougar V6 5spd | '13 Ford Fusion SE 2.0l Ecoboost | My site: Skolenimation

2. #2 Default  
    If its like CT, you can apply for unemployment for the time lost...
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    brass isn't good enough for those guys. Too heavy. They have burnt titanium because they are that awesome.

3. #3 Default  
    sue the company for lost wages and irreparable emotional damage due to lack of pay.
    1991 VW GTI 8V ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)
    2017 VW GLI ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)

4. #4 Default  
    Sounds pretty clear to me "expected or unexpected" closure

5. #5 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by streetxdreamer View Post
    Sounds pretty clear to me "expected or unexpected" closure
    yeah, it sounds like the reason its closed is irrelevant, if it wasnt as clear cut as that then i assume it would state the circumstances under which the workplace would have to pay

worth a phone call though

6. #6 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    yeah, it sounds like the reason its closed is irrelevant, if it wasnt as clear cut as that then i assume it would state the circumstances under which the workplace would have to pay

worth a phone call though
    Yea. I'm gonna call tomorrow when they open but I'm just trying to get as much info as possible.

From what I'm told from a coworker who talked w/unemployment briefly last week we can file but it ultimately has to be approved by my work. And they can just turn around and deny it for those who have the vacation time to cover it.

You know what would be real fucking useful? A god damn meeting here that explains the fucking situation.
    '00 Mercury Cougar V6 5spd | '13 Ford Fusion SE 2.0l Ecoboost | My site: Skolenimation

7. #7 Default  
    You really need to gtfo, they sound like a horrible company

8. #8 Default  
    Been job searching for a while now. I'm about 3 cc payments from being debt free so I can choose to be picky at this point and don't want to end up in another company like this. I redid my resumé during the downtime and sent it to a few places.

9. #9 Default  
    sorry to hear about your situation but I think the problem is that you are paid hourly

I mean if I were scheduled to work at mcdonalds and the board of heath closed the restaurant down for a week.. i don't expect to get paid for those lost hours i would have worked.. If they tried to dock my pay and i was salaried then I might have a case? but what do i know i'm just trying to use common sense

This is prolly a case where a union would actually help..

10. #10 Default  
    Thanks.

Turns out I have enough sick & vacation time to cover all but 3hrs of lost time. I'm not going to open up an unemployment claim at this point because if the company does close then I've already started a claim when i didn't need it, and one that was only going to cover 50% of my pay after waiting 5-6 weeks for a check, and it would just short change me on the amount of weeks I could collect.

So this morning I spent my time sending emails to recruiters instead of work. While at work.

11. #11 Default  
    What a mess, shitty company. Not sure what you do but our company is hiring installers.

12. #12 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyZ33 View Post
    What a mess, shitty company. Not sure what you do but our company is hiring installers.
    Installers of what ?

13. #13 Default  
    Solar!

We just closed 150 residential projects in Arlington, Hopkinton, and Mendon. So we needs good people fast.

Thread Information