Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: The cost of the Affordable Care Act

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Default The cost of the Affordable Care Act 
    Papa John's is in the news because of his vocal distain for what the ACA is going to cost his company in profits.

He's personally said it would cost an extra 20 per pizza to cover employees. Many say this is a no-brainer in that people would gladly pay that little bit extra if they knew it meant his workers would be healthy and covered. Yet others are supporting his decision to cut workers hours and wages so he can avoid it.

This is the same guy who is giving away 2 million pizzas in a promotion, paid almost $300k to find his H.S. Camaro and then gave free pizza's to any Camaro owners around that same time. So from a good PR perspective you think this would be something you could easily run with in saying that for a few cents extra I'm able to give my employees a better way of life. Better ingredients, less Hep-C.

The cost is going to be different for many companies. But if they were up front about the increase by saying we're going to raise our prices by 20 to $1.00 so that everyone who works for us has access to free or affordable health care would you be more inclined to support them? Would you continue to support them even if they cut worker hours to avoid it?
    '00 Mercury Cougar V6 5spd | '13 Ford Fusion SE 2.0l Ecoboost | My site: Skolenimation

2. #2 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LastMercury View Post
    Papa John's is in the news because of his vocal distain for what the ACA is going to cost his company in profits.

He's personally said it would cost an extra 20 per pizza to cover employees. Many say this is a no-brainer in that people would gladly pay that little bit extra if they knew it meant his workers would be healthy and covered. Yet others are supporting his decision to cut workers hours and wages so he can avoid it.

This is the same guy who is giving away 2 million pizzas in a promotion, paid almost $300k to find his H.S. Camaro and then gave free pizza's to any Camaro owners around that same time. So from a good PR perspective you think this would be something you could easily run with in saying that for a few cents extra I'm able to give my employees a better way of life. Better ingredients, less Hep-C.

The cost is going to be different for many companies. But if they were up front about the increase by saying we're going to raise our prices by 20 to $1.00 so that everyone who works for us has access to free or affordable health care would you be more inclined to support them? Would you continue to support them even if they cut worker hours to avoid it?
    A lot of restaurant franchise owners are making the same claim. There was a gentleman who owned 40 Applebee's franchises. He said it would cost $.50 per menu item to equal out what it's going to cost. And while .50 doesn't sound like a lot, I foresee something similar happening that happened with ethanol. They added ethanol to our gas and cars got worse gas mileage(so they needed more) and because Corn was being processed it caused the rates of animal feed and food we eat to go up. Before this is done, some people will be getting affordable health care, others will be paying higher rates for everything else and people in general will be getting squeezed even more
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

3. #3 Default  
    what is the actual dollar amount increase for him per year ? i think i read somewhere yesterday that its an 8 figure dollar amount

saying its only 20 cents a pizza makes it sound like its a tiny amount and he should stfu and pay up

4. #4 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Lol it's .20 per millions of pizzas
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

5. #5 Default  
    its just a reason for them to increase the prices of menu items. Plus i dont like papa johns anyways pizza blows and its stupid expensive anyway. Pizza hut all day.
    1991 VW GTI 8V ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)
    2017 VW GLI ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)

6. #6 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    Lol it's .20 per millions of pizzas
    huh ? he said its .20 per pizza

7. #7 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by DjStarscr3am View Post
    its just a reason for them to increase the prices of menu items. Plus i dont like papa johns anyways pizza blows and its stupid expensive anyway. Pizza hut all day.
    so if his costs increase he shouldnt be allowed to increase his sell price ?

i dont think he needs an excuse to raise prices, if he wanted or needed to he would just do it

8. #8 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by DjStarscr3am View Post
    this affects pizza hut too lol

9. #9 Default  
    when I order a pizza, I care about quality of pizza, delivery time. Might come off as cold hearted, but worker insurance really isnt something I consider when I order a pizza. If there are more than one pizza shop around offering the exact same pizza, I'd rather go with the cheapest one and give the delivery guy a slightly bigger tip. But if everyone is raising prices because of this, the ones losing are the consumers and small chains who cant spread the increased cost as well as a big chain like Papa Jonhs.
    Last edited by cheu_f50; 11-13-2012 at 10:05 AM.
    Oh Yeah!

10. #10 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    what is the actual dollar amount increase for him per year ? i think i read somewhere yesterday that its an 8 figure dollar amount

saying its only 20 cents a pizza makes it sound like its a tiny amount and he should stfu and pay up
    It is close to 20 million a year. I made this based on another form thread, and employees who worked in the store. I have no idea how accurate the number is, it is more of a reverse engineering thing.

Matt

11. #11 Default  

i dont think he needs an excuse to raise prices, if he wanted or needed to he would just do it
    Oh he can but these places are going to use this for their reasoning for increased prices. Not a we want our employees healthy point of view but a blame the Govt. they did this to you kind of deal. is rather pay .20 more on a pizza than have to pay an extra 5K at a hospital for an ER visit. You wouldn't believe the bills i see at this hospital that are for uninsured people and illegals. Rack up 500K in hospital bills and not pay a dime for it. then the hospital needs to recover that money from the legit people by making services more expensive to cover their losses. Why do you think hospitals lay off people every month. To try to stay out of the red. So when you go to the ER and your insurance covers 80% and you get wacked for $2,000 you can thank papa john and his uninsured employees lol.
    1991 VW GTI 8V ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)
    2017 VW GLI ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)

12. #12 Default  
    lol

13. #13 Default  
    A lot of restaurant franchise owners are making the same claim. There was a gentleman who owned 40 Applebee's franchises. He said it would cost $.50 per menu item to equal out what it's going to cost. And while .50 doesn't sound like a lot, I foresee something similar happening that happened with ethanol. They added ethanol to our gas and cars got worse gas mileage(so they needed more) and because Corn was being processed it caused the rates of animal feed and food we eat to go up. Before this is done, some people will be getting affordable health care, others will be paying higher rates for everything else and people in general will be getting squeezed even more
    Depending on the business they will figure out where the happy medium of charging more because people will pay it and charging too much so that it costs them lost business. This isn't a cost increase just for profits sake, it's to directly give American workers a better way of life in one area. And I see people being OK with that over just a blind price increase. I'm not sure the ethanol argument works here, but I can see where you're coming from.

I saw several quotes but $8-10mil seemed to be the agreed amount. $15mil max.

People were saying increase it by 50 if he wants. So long as people knew part of that was going to cover employees health insurance they were OK with it. He doesn't need an excuse to raise them, but if he's raising them to further fund his lavish lifestyle while at the same time cutting workers wages out of spite? The guy built a successful business but comes off as the "fuck-you, got mine" type where if he could pay less than minimum wage to increase profits for himself he would. I've read that his business has a delivery charge but it doesn't go towards the drivers. So people tip less thinking it does.

Quote Originally Posted by cheu_f50 View Post
    when I order a pizza, I care about quality of pizza, delivery time. Might come off as cold hearted, but worker insurance really isnt something I consider when I order a pizza. If there are more than one pizza shop around offering the exact same pizza, I'd rather go with the cheapest one and give the delivery guy a slightly bigger tip. But if everyone is raising prices because of this, the ones losing are the consumers and small chains who cant spread the increased cost as well as a big chain like Papa Jonhs.
    You might care if the people handling your food are sick, underpaid and resentful of the company because they're treated like shit there. I used to be one of those workers at a restaurant.
    '00 Mercury Cougar V6 5spd | '13 Ford Fusion SE 2.0l Ecoboost | My site: Skolenimation

14. #14 Default  
    This Forbes article breaks it down: http://www.forbes.com/sites/calebmel...bamacare-math/

15. #15 Default  
    People were saying increase it by 50 if he wants. So long as people knew part of that was going to cover employees health insurance they were OK with it. He doesn't need an excuse to raise them, but if he's raising them to further fund his lavish lifestyle while at the same time cutting workers wages out of spite? The guy built a successful business but comes off as the "fuck-you, got mine" type where if he could pay less than minimum wage to increase profits for himself he would. I've read that his business has a delivery charge but it doesn't go towards the drivers. So people tip less thinking it does.
    I dont think business people in general cut wages out of spite. They have better things to do like managing their business instead of playing games with employees to get revenge. Papa John's is a publicly traded company. the difference of 10-15 Million isnt something they can just brush off

You might care if the people handling your food are sick, underpaid and resentful of the company because they're treated like shit there. I used to be one of those workers at a restaurant.
    I dont think having health care will make min. wage workers less disgruntled. Its one of those things where at first you have relief, but it will set it after a few weeks and they will realize they are still making min. wage. And no, I still don't care because if people handling my food are sick, underpaid and resentful, and ultimately affect the quality of the food (in this case pizza) I ordered, as a consumer I have the option of going to a different pizza place. And if all of the fast food pizza places are the same with unhappy workers, I will always have the choice to get upscale gourmet pizza instead. Ultimately I judge my product by its quality, not the the people working on it.
    Last edited by cheu_f50; 11-13-2012 at 11:02 AM.
    Oh Yeah!

16. #16 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cheu_f50 View Post
    I dont think business people in general cut wages out of spite. They have better things to do like managing their business instead of playing games with employees to get revenge. Papa John's is a publicly traded company. the difference of 10-15 Million isnt something they can just brush off

I dont think having health care will make min. wage workers less disgruntled. Its one of those things where at first you have relief, but it will set it after a few weeks and they will realize they are still making min. wage. And no, I still don't care because if people handling my food are sick, underpaid and resentful, and ultimately affect the quality of the food (in this case pizza) I ordered, as a consumer I have the option of going to a different pizza place. And if all of the fast food pizza places are the same with unhappy workers, I will always have the choice to get upscale gourmet pizza instead. Ultimately I judge my product by its quality, not the the people working on it.
    Some people have already laid off workers out of spite from the election results.

Health care may not only take a level of stress off a min wage worker, and thus make them more content for the time being, but it also reflects on the business since these are the people dealing directly with your source of income. Minimum wage or not.

Just like box wine beating out some higher priced wines in a blind taste test your gourmet pizza may be no better than some local shop under certain circumstances. Quality of work may improve if workers are being treated well and that would reflect in the product (not just food). Obviously if a shop uses shit ingredients it's not going to help if people have coverage or not. But if your local joint, that you like, bumps the price a bit just to cover employees, people should be happy about that.

I look at it as a way to better the American quality of life. This is something that can directly effect American workers for the better. Better health, less hospital bills, more money saved, more put back into the economy.

17. #17 Default  
    Can't afford 8 million more in medical but can afford to give away 2million pizzas...wait what?

18. #18 Default  
    One comes out of marketing budget, the other comes out of profit.

19. #19 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Papa Johns net profits were 55million last year(including international stores) you want them(a publicly traded company) to absorb half of that. Get out of here with that noise... If that's what you think, you have no business being anywhere near a business that makes an income

But your reasoning is sound, if they divert advertising to employee expenses, they will eventually reduce employee cost as they won't sell any pizzas.

20. #20 Default  
    Papa Johns net profits were 55million last year(including international stores) you want them(a publicly traded company) to absorb half of that. Get out of here with that noise... If that's what you think, you have no business being anywhere near a business that makes an income

But your reasoning is sound, if they divert advertising to employee expenses, they will eventually reduce employee cost as they won't sell any pizzas.
    Half? From the article the cost is not even close. And I'm not asking them to absorb it. They would raise the price by the 10-14 (according to the Forbes articles math) per pie to offset it.
    Last edited by LastMercury; 11-13-2012 at 10:13 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Thread Information