Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: The cost of the Affordable Care Act

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 122
  1. #21 Default  
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    16,733,351
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by LastMercury View Post
    Half? From the article the cost is not even close. And I'm not asking them to absorb it. They would raise the price by the 10-14 (according to the Forbes articles math) per pie to offset it.
    Sorry didn't see the forbe's article, just saw graffix saying money for advertising and money for employee expenses as being interchangeable. I was using Matt's calculations
    Last edited by 55fanatic; 11-13-2012 at 10:43 PM.
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.
    Reply With Quote  

  2. #22 Default  
    I think people are missing the big picture here

    Yes, I agree Papa Johns is large enough where Obamacare won't affect it all that much and probably fare well with little or no change in their business. Although i havent really read too much into this topic, seems like all pro Obama supporters have raised their stakes and pitch forks at John Schnatter without looking at how Obamacare will affect other businesses more particularly small business...

    Small business where your margins are smaller changes like this may or may not break you. Do they fire that 50th employee or full time employees only allowed to work 29 hours max?

    Hell i don't know the answer to this but i can tell you this much if i was a small business owner. I would have a lot to think about.
    Reply With Quote  

  3. #23 Default  
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Strongly Sheltered in Place like a Hero
    Posts
    6,424
    Since when does a goddamned restaurant have to explain cost increases to the general public?

    I'd bet that at least a dollar per Friday's menu item goes towards sexual harassment settlements. Why aren't they shouting about that?

    In the end, am I really supposed to feel bad for Papa John? If his business is spread so thin that a few nickels per pizza closes his doors.... goodbye, douchebag. Let him close his damn doors. Why should this shitnipple in Louisville be getting cash from pizza dollars in MA? And for all you whiners about the business closing - do you honestly think there's not a local supplier that could fill the void left by this shitty pizza factory? Let the local businesses pick up the slack.

    Papa Johns was open in Salem for like a week. When a pizza delivery place goes lout of business in a college town you know their food is shit.

    -Justin

    White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)
    Reply With Quote  

  4. #24 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    Papa Johns net profits were 55million last year(including international stores) you want them(a publicly traded company) to absorb half of that. Get out of here with that noise... If that's what you think, you have no business being anywhere near a business that makes an income

    But your reasoning is sound, if they divert advertising to employee expenses, they will eventually reduce employee cost as they won't sell any pizzas.
    That owner said 5-8 million for healthcare...2million pizzas is that much If not more...hard not to see the math here
    Reply With Quote  

  5. #25 Default  
    Also I'm not for Obama care, I just think the owner of papa johns is just as bad for bitching about this, as warren buffet is for bitching about not getting taxed enough
    Reply With Quote  

  6. #26 Default  
    there are 4,000 Papa Johns lets say on average each store makes 100 pizzas a day

    So .14 cents a pizza extra is $14 bucks a day for each store, multiply that by 4000 stores its $56,000 a day, multiply that by 365 and you get $20,440,000!

    So Because Barrack Obama wants to push his health care it will cost Papa Johns an extra $20+ million a year in cost. And you say he should be able to afford that?
    Quote Originally Posted by kevblah View Post
    i love that scope
    Kev: Who the Fuck would buy a P226 in 9mm ME: Ummm the Navy Seals? Kev: yeah well what do they know?
    Retired Professional Troll
    Reply With Quote  

  7. #27 Default  
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Strongly Sheltered in Place like a Hero
    Posts
    6,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wolf View Post
    there are 4,000 Papa Johns lets say on average each store makes 100 pizzas a day

    So .14 cents a pizza extra is $14 bucks a day for each store, multiply that by 4000 stores its $56,000 a day, multiply that by 365 and you get $20,440,000!

    So Because Barrack Obama wants to push his health care it will cost Papa Johns an extra $20+ million a year in cost. And you say he should be able to afford that?
    $14/day per store? So each store will have to cut an employee hour per day. 7 hours per week.

    It's not exactly a death sentence, especially since they could simply increase the price of their pizza.

    If flour, cheese and tomatoes shot up in price, I'm sure good 'ol poppa would just pass that on to the customers without any press releases.

    -Justin

    White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)
    Reply With Quote  

  8. #28 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wolf View Post
    there are 4,000 Papa Johns lets say on average each store makes 100 pizzas a day

    So .14 cents a pizza extra is $14 bucks a day for each store, multiply that by 4000 stores its $56,000 a day, multiply that by 365 and you get $20,440,000!

    So Because Barrack Obama wants to push his health care it will cost Papa Johns an extra $20+ million a year in cost. And you say he should be able to afford that?
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/calebmel...bamacare-math/

    Read this please...
    Reply With Quote  

  9. #29 Default  
    For the sake of argument, let’s say that Papa John’s sells exactly half medium/half large specialty pizzas. Averaging the ranges for both sizes, then averaging that product yields a .86% price increase — well outside the range of what Schnatter says Obamacare will cost him.

    So how much would prices go up, under these 50/50 conditions, if they were to fairly reflect the increased cost of doing business onset by Obamacare? Roughly 3.4 to 4.6 cents a pie.

    So its 5 cents a pizza when his shitty pizza is already like $16 for a large whats $16.05 at that point.
    1991 VW GTI 8V ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)
    2017 VW GLI ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)
    Reply With Quote  

  10. #30 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by John@KaizenTuning.com View Post
    That owner said 5-8 million for healthcare...2million pizzas is that much If not more...hard not to see the math here
    Lets try again here... Advertising money (the two million pizzas) is designed to come back and make more money. Healthcare (the 5-8 million dollars) is designed to keep people from dying. How are these interchangeable?

    TLDR: Papa John isn't giving away pizzas because he's a nice guy.

    I'm not getting into the politics of this because it's a waste of time, but the cost of advertising free pizzas versus cost of healthcare is a fucking retarded argument.
    Reply With Quote  

  11. #31 Default  
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Strongly Sheltered in Place like a Hero
    Posts
    6,424
    Seems to me like these companies were planning cutbacks anyway. They announced them before the election and claimed them contingent on its outcome in an attempt to force their employees to vote Romney. Of course, the cutbacks were coming anyway regardless of the election outcome.

    IMHO, this tactic makes me a lot less sympathetic to those in control of large corporations. They're showing themselves to be every ounce as soul-less and shitty as they claim the left has portrayed them to be.

    A couple more dickheads like poppa and the Murray Coal guy and I'll be actively pressuring my congressman for wealth redistribution measures - which is something I'm pretty fundamentally opposed to.

    -Justin

    White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)
    Reply With Quote  

  12. #32 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin.b View Post
    Since when does a goddamned restaurant have to explain cost increases to the general public?

    I'd bet that at least a dollar per Friday's menu item goes towards sexual harassment settlements. Why aren't they shouting about that?

    In the end, am I really supposed to feel bad for Papa John? If his business is spread so thin that a few nickels per pizza closes his doors.... goodbye, douchebag. Let him close his damn doors. Why should this shitnipple in Louisville be getting cash from pizza dollars in MA? And for all you whiners about the business closing - do you honestly think there's not a local supplier that could fill the void left by this shitty pizza factory? Let the local businesses pick up the slack.

    Papa Johns was open in Salem for like a week. When a pizza delivery place goes lout of business in a college town you know their food is shit.

    -Justin
    you are not suppose to feel bad, but the reason why this is a big deal is because papa johns doesnt profit much per pizza.

    Using 100per shop per day, they produce 146million pizzas a year for 55mil profit, that comes to 37.6 cents per pizza. I dont know how much a pizza typically cost at Papa Johns, but assuming its at the low end of $10 per pizza, their profit margin is less than 4%. so 14 cents per pizza isnt chump change. What the affordable care act does is raise the cost of living for everyone. And guess what - who do you think a raising cost of living is going to hurt the most ...
    Oh Yeah!
    Reply With Quote  

  13. #33 Default  
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Strongly Sheltered in Place like a Hero
    Posts
    6,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmask View Post
    Lets try again here... Advertising money (the two million pizzas) is designed to come back and make more money. Healthcare (the 5-8 million dollars) is designed to keep people from dying. How are these interchangeable?

    TLDR: Papa John isn't giving away pizzas because he's a nice guy.

    I'm not getting into the politics of this because it's a waste of time, but the cost of advertising free pizzas versus cost of healthcare is a fucking retarded argument.
    It's entirely valid as long as poppa wants to consider employee healthcare a cost component in pizza.

    If he had kept it in terms of employee hours then I may agree - but one hour per day per store isn't really the headline grabbing stat he was hoping for. So he reached out and tried to put in terms of pizza and came up with an even more underwhelming way to express it in a cost increase of less than a quarter per pizza.

    -Justin

    White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)
    Reply With Quote  

  14. #34 Default  
    and im curious as to how Walmart/Target's figures will be like. Because they have a very low income/profit per employee ration too. Their profit margin is below 5% as well, so they will be taking a huge hit too.
    Oh Yeah!
    Reply With Quote  

  15. #35 Default  
    seeing as how 1 hour per day per store comes to over 15 million a year, I think thats enough of an argument. if Papa John's as a whole mismanage employees by 4 hours per day per store, their entirely profit is wiped and they are in the negative.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmask View Post
    Lets try again here... Advertising money (the two million pizzas) is designed to come back and make more money. Healthcare (the 5-8 million dollars) is designed to keep people from dying. How are these interchangeable?
    yup
    Last edited by cheu_f50; 11-14-2012 at 10:07 AM.
    Oh Yeah!
    Reply With Quote  

  16. #36 Default  
    He has some unknown hate towards Obama and his policies. Just looking at the price of his stock it's doubled since Obama took office so I don't know why he mad.

    My only knowledge about pizza profit margins was when I worked at Papa Gino's during H.S. back in '94-96. We were explained the actual costs so we were aware of spoilage loss and stuff. Your average pizza (then) costed about $2 in materials and were being sold for $6-14.
    '00 Mercury Cougar V6 5spd | '13 Ford Fusion SE 2.0l Ecoboost | My site: Skolenimation
    Reply With Quote  

  17. #37 Default  
    Not going to make friends with this post but these are my feelings:

    Papa John (him or his family) built that shit. he is successful and now the "entitlement focussed i dont want to work" people of this world expect him to pay for them. I have built a business as well, I pay for my health care. I don't want to have to pay for other people that dont do shit, sit home, and suck the federal tit.

    When I became a US citizen, I learned that in America you have the right to pursue freedom and happiness. It seems people now believe they have the right to freedom and happiness.
    I am not a 14 year old girl, but I play one on the internet.

    Who was the first person to look at a cow and say 'I don't know what these dangly things are, but I am going to yank on them and drink whatever comes out.'
    Reply With Quote  

  18. #38 Default  
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    16,733,351
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin.b View Post
    Since when does a goddamned restaurant have to explain cost increases to the general public?

    I'd bet that at least a dollar per Friday's menu item goes towards sexual harassment settlements. Why aren't they shouting about that?

    In the end, am I really supposed to feel bad for Papa John? If his business is spread so thin that a few nickels per pizza closes his doors.... goodbye, douchebag. Let him close his damn doors. Why should this shitnipple in Louisville be getting cash from pizza dollars in MA? And for all you whiners about the business closing - do you honestly think there's not a local supplier that could fill the void left by this shitty pizza factory? Let the local businesses pick up the slack.

    Papa Johns was open in Salem for like a week. When a pizza delivery place goes lout of business in a college town you know their food is shit.

    -Justin
    I don't give a lick if papa johns goes out of business... What I want People, is to know THEY ARE STILL PAYING FOR THIS. If he wants to raise prices $.14 or $.50 per item... It's coming out of your pocket. Not his.

    Our president looks like a hero, but in the end WE are still paying for this crap, and now it means at the end of the day, less money sits in my pocket. It's going to trickle down through everything you do day to day in life.

    Our government clearly knows shit about trying to help us. The same way ethanol in our gas drove up prices in everyday goods, the same thing is going to happen with healthcare.
    Last edited by 55fanatic; 11-14-2012 at 10:26 AM.
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.
    Reply With Quote  

  19. #39 Default  
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    4,376
    Quote Originally Posted by LastMercury View Post
    He has some unknown hate towards Obama and his policies. Just looking at the price of his stock it's doubled since Obama took office so I don't know why he mad.

    My only knowledge about pizza profit margins was when I worked at Papa Gino's during H.S. back in '94-96. We were explained the actual costs so we were aware of spoilage loss and stuff. Your average pizza (then) costed about $2 in materials and were being sold for $6-14.
    So $2 in materials, but what about overhead. Your pay check, your co workers paycheck, the cost of the building, the cost of electricity, insurance, taxes, permit costs, there are a lot of things that drive the price of things other the the parts that go into them.

    I have just started building shooting targets for sell, really low volume, and I have been learning a lot about what my real profit should be and that what I thought I could make for a lot less, I really cant without shortchanging my time. Everyone in this thread who thinks they have the simple answer needs to go back working for the man. (I am in this also)
    Matt
    Reply With Quote  

  20. #40 Default  
    Like I said, I am not for obamacare, I just disagree with the owner of papa johns and his reasoning.
    Reply With Quote  

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Thread Information
Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •