Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Mac Folks, Help a Brother Out

1. #1 Default Mac Folks, Help a Brother Out 
    Let me preface this by saying I know nothing about macs whatsoever but I have a pretty good general technological grasp.

So I bought my girlfriend an older Macbook for Christmas because she really needs a computer but I can't afford a new one. I can't upgrade to Mountain Lion on it due to hardware limitations but I can upgrade to Lion.

It's a MB403LL/A model and the "superdrive" that comes in it doesn't work, so I can't upgrade the OS via CD.

I have a copy of Lion on my windows laptop. Do I:

a. just transfer the lion image files onto the usb, then to the laptop's hard drive, then run the installer

b. make the usb a boot drive and upgrade the OS that way

c. some other way

If B, how do I go about doing that on a windows computer?

2. #2 Default  
    you can try A) copy the installation files over to see if it works... format the usb drive as FAT32..

I don't believe there's any easy way to create a Mac bootable installer on windows..well never say never because some nerd has probably created some convoluted way of doing it that requires a phd in hacking to accomplish =/

3. #3 Default  
    i torrented mine an it came as a rar file, all i had to do was run winrar and then install

4. #4 Default  
    Well I ended up making this thread ahead of myself. The macbook I bought didn't come with a charger so I've been waiting for one. Borrowed Johnny's today, booted up the compayter to make sure it worked, and it has a fresh copy of Lion already on it! I was very happy.
    Thanks for the suggestions anyway guys.

5. #5 Default  
    For future reference:

If your computer has Lion (or even Mountain Lion) installed then the installer created a small partition of the installer itself when it upgraded. So if you take the computer that has it already installed and boot it while holding "T" you can boot it into Target Disk mode and hook the computers up via Firewire (not sure about those that don't have FW ports) and yours will behave like a standard external HDD.

It's how I used to force install OS's onto hardware that wouldn't accept the disc due to requirements.
    '00 Mercury Cougar V6 5spd | '13 Ford Fusion SE 2.0l Ecoboost | My site: Skolenimation

6. #6 Default  
    Also, if the computer originally came with Lion, it is probably a later model MacBook. Lion has been around roughly two years and it shouldnt have problems upgrading to Mtn Lion.
    06 G35 4dr

7. #7 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by ccc123pm View Post
    Also, if the computer originally came with Lion, it is probably a later model MacBook. Lion has been around roughly two years and it shouldnt have problems upgrading to Mtn Lion.
    I bought the computer from one of those office liquidation places so either the previous owner upgraded it or the place I got it from did. It's an early 08 that cannot be upgraded to Mountain Lion due to video hardware limitations.

I charged it up and the battery has only had 150 cycles on it and will last about 7 hours. Runs pretty well too. I bought some RAM to upgrade it from 2GB to 4, $25 for two 2GB sticks of DDR2 667mhz.

Thread Information