Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Exedy Clutches?

1. #1 Default Exedy Clutches? 
    Dad found a deal on a stage 2 Exedy clutch for the lotus. I've never heard of the brand. anyone know anything about them?

I'm also skeptical about a stage 2 clutch in a street car. I'm still pushing for a supercharger, which will require an upgraded clutch, but i've never driven a car with an upgraded clutch to know how it works for a street car.

http://www.exedyusa.com/race/Clutch_Specifications

school me people.

2. #2 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Exedy is a pretty well known brand of clutches I thought
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

3. #3 Default  
    Having never researched clutches, i wouldn't know. It's a pretty good deal, about half what i've seen some sites selling it for, so i might tell him to just grab it. Even if we decide a stage 2 is too much for our use, we can recoup cost and get a stage 1.

4. #4 Default  
    i ran a 6 puck unsprung HD clutch in my MR2. held 700ftlbs. it drove fine pedal was a bit stiffer. youll only run into driveability issues when you do an agressive clutch with a light weight flywheel. A stage 2 is going to be a little better than stock. this is similar to what i had and the price is damn good mine was $500.

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...3#.UMiDoKxPols
    1991 VW GTI 8V ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)
    2017 VW GLI ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)

5. #5 Default  
    Exedy are pretty much the best clutches IMO... OEM Subaru are exedy (Yeah I know just what you wanna hear lol)... They are also OEM honda, and many other companies... I have run ACT clutches in the past without great luck. Exedy has always been great.

If its a full face clutch, I say yes... If its a puck clutch (Has 6 grip surfaces or 3), prepare for a little chatter when taking off from a stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    brass isn't good enough for those guys. Too heavy. They have burnt titanium because they are that awesome.

6. #6 Default  
    per picture above, it's a 3 puck. Thanks for the feedback on the company though. i honestly knew nothing about them.

I think we'll probably just aim for a stage 1 clutch.

7. #7 Default  
    had one in my cobra. it was an on/off switch. hated it. this was 10 years ago with 600rwhp so not sure if there was anything else.
    Father of Phiff

8. #8 Default  
    per picture above, it's a 3 puck. Thanks for the feedback on the company though. i honestly knew nothing about them.

I think we'll probably just aim for a stage 1 clutch.
    sorry, pic didn't load earlier. Thats a Stage2+... I had it in my Sti.. Pedal feel wasn't bad at all considering... Had a considerable amount of chatter, but it would grab like no other. Hard shifts into third you would sometimes hear the rear diff bang around lol... Its definitely overkill on an N/A Lotus. I'd go Exedy OEM replacement. Should be like 300-350 since its a celica cluthc.
    brass isn't good enough for those guys. Too heavy. They have burnt titanium because they are that awesome.

9. #9 Default  
    Yup, stage 1 is ~$330 everywhere. Damn cheap parts. OEM replacement clutch for my Porsche was $600.

10. #10 Default  
    I have an exedy installed. No complaints with quality or installation. Mine came with an extra pilot bearing that I didn't use, my platform doesn't use but my tranny is shared with a MR2

I'd recommend it as a nice OEM replacement
    04' Nogaro S4 6mt

11. #11 Default  
    Exedy is good quality, used in OE applications on most Japanese cars. Parent company is Daiken Clutch. Both names are interchangeable. That toyota engine in the lotus is probably an Exedy already.

If I can suggest, I'd like to see a Carbonetics in that thing. One's going in the 240, and just adding my $0.02

I'm sorry to hear you suffer from Cranial-Rectal Inversion

Quote Originally Posted by jjm4life View Post
    Older cars just have more soul
    Quote Originally Posted by 55Fanatic View Post
    Can you imagine if we had 2 Rich's on this forum? oye

12. #12 Default  
    Exedy will work Greg in the lotus. Had their clutch and lwfw in my evo.
    Bath salts and dick pills

13. #13 Default  
    We used to put exedy clutches in western stars and freight liners.

I assume they will be good in a car that's as big as a trucks wheel

14. #14 Default  
    Whos greg and why is he in the lotus?

I'm sorry to hear you suffer from Cranial-Rectal Inversion

Quote Originally Posted by jjm4life View Post
    Older cars just have more soul
    Quote Originally Posted by 55Fanatic View Post
    Can you imagine if we had 2 Rich's on this forum? oye

Thread Information