Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Laser diffuser installation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1. #1 Default Laser diffuser installation 
    I'm starting the installation of my radar detector and laser diffuser in the wrx. Its an passport, not sure of the model. It came out of the cayenne.

    It has a hidden radar that installs behind the bumper, dual diffusers in front and a single in the rear.

    Any who, I accidentally broke off one of the plugs off one of the the laser diffusers. Is this just a regular phone connector? Easily fixable?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    You.... have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    you have issues.
    Reply With Quote  

  2. #2 Default  
    Do you have a picture? Most likely it is, and if so go to any IT department and they should be able to crimp a new end on for you. Just make sure to compare it to the other diffuser so you line it up right.
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    brass isn't good enough for those guys. Too heavy. They have burnt titanium because they are that awesome.
    Reply With Quote  

  3. #3 Default  
    just go to radio shack and buy the connectors. I have a crip tool for phone jacks and RJ45 connects. Bug me to bring it thursday.


    also, i want to see where you install yours. I'm going to get a laser system someday.
    Reply With Quote  

  4. #4 Default  
    Make sure to install close to the headlights and center plate. Placement is key.
    Reply With Quote  

  5. #5 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    just go to radio shack and buy the connectors. I have a crip tool for phone jacks and RJ45 connects. Bug me to bring it thursday.


    also, i want to see where you install yours. I'm going to get a laser system someday.
    They're rj-11.. ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    brass isn't good enough for those guys. Too heavy. They have burnt titanium because they are that awesome.
    Reply With Quote  

  6. #6 Default  
    derp... didnt see your responses. Tomorrow im going to retackle this. (and install my hellas lol)

    I have the rear one mounted....cinch.

    The front dual I mocked up, but it appears that I may have them too low according to what I have been reading. I mounted them to the cross member that the radiator is resting on. easily accessible through the front grille. Once i have the front grill off, I may look for other locations to mount these.

    As for the radar unit, per the suggestion of a nasioc member, im mounting it right in the air scoop lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    You.... have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    you have issues.
    Reply With Quote  

  7. #7 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Intheflesh View Post
    derp... didnt see your responses. Tomorrow im going to retackle this. (and install my hellas lol)

    I have the rear one mounted....cinch.

    The front dual I mocked up, but it appears that I may have them too low according to what I have been reading. I mounted them to the cross member that the radiator is resting on. easily accessible through the front grille. Once i have the front grill off, I may look for other locations to mount these.

    As for the radar unit, per the suggestion of a nasioc member, im mounting it right in the air scoop lol.
    Air scoop is a good place for it.
    Reply With Quote  

  8. #8 Default  
    You want your jammers as close to the headlights or front license plate as you can get, as that is what the cops aim for.
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    brass isn't good enough for those guys. Too heavy. They have burnt titanium because they are that awesome.
    Reply With Quote  

  9. #9 Default  
    what about the radar unit? does it need to be completely exposed?
    Ignore the STI, the front grill on my car is pretty much the same. can i mount it behind that plastic piece that goes down the middle?
    I do like the idea of mounting it in the air scoop, but I would like it to be more discrete, in the odd ball chance im driving through one of the states where radar detectors are illegal.


    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    You.... have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    you have issues.
    Reply With Quote  

  10. #10 Default  
    If its just for the detecting, you should be able to mount it inside the cabin if you want, yes/no? What model? Valentine? Passport? Escort?
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    brass isn't good enough for those guys. Too heavy. They have burnt titanium because they are that awesome.
    Reply With Quote  

  11. #11 Default  
    its an older passport SRX. the radar is a 'stealth' module; its the one in the upper right hand corner.





    I did like how NOTHING was visible in the car on this set up, but the technology is old.

    I have been throwing around the idea of selling this set up and getting a blinder hp 905 and paring it with a V1.
    Last edited by Intheflesh; 01-11-2013 at 03:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    You.... have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    you have issues.
    Reply With Quote  

  12. #12 Default  
    Passport 9500ix.

    Love mine. I'd never consider one without GPS after using mine for a year.
    Reply With Quote  

  13. #13 Default  
    If you want the best laser defense laser interceptor is the way to go then pair it up with a v1 or 9500ix for radar dection
    Reply With Quote  

  14. #14 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by streetxdreamer View Post
    If you want the best laser defense laser interceptor is the way to go then pair it up with a v1 or 9500ix for radar dection
    This. Seriously. I've been lasered at well over arrest me speeds a few times with my laser interceptors and I've had no issues.
    Reply With Quote  

  15. #15 Default  
    I just realized I left my 'concealed unit' in the cayenne. It's basically just a dual colored LED, with a lead and an rj22 connector on the other end. I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to wire another one, but I just don't know the pin outs. There's probably a resistor in there too that I'd need to know the value of.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    You.... have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    you have issues.
    Reply With Quote  

  16. #16 Default  
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    16,733,351
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Intheflesh View Post
    I just realized I left my 'concealed unit' in the cayenne. It's basically just a dual colored LED, with a lead and an rj22 connector on the other end. I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to wire another one, but I just don't know the pin outs. There's probably a resistor in there too that I'd need to know the value of.
    Or for $30, prolly easier to get another one from escort
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.
    Reply With Quote  

  17. #17 Default  
    Been searching, can't seem to find one!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    You.... have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    you have issues.
    Reply With Quote  

  18. #18 Default  
    Derp.., I have the same unit on fcar. Can just use a test light to check the pint outs
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    You.... have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    you have issues.
    Reply With Quote  

  19. #19 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Intheflesh View Post
    Been searching, can't seem to find one!
    Call Escort.
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    brass isn't good enough for those guys. Too heavy. They have burnt titanium because they are that awesome.
    Reply With Quote  

  20. #20 Default  
    That's what I'm going to do today. If I cant order one, I'll resort to reverse engineering one.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    You.... have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    you have issues.
    Reply With Quote  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information
Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •