Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Deval's new tax plan

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. #61 Default  
    http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/porta...port090908.pdf

This is a bit old now, but the difference is definitely there.

Having a police detail requires a 4 hr minimum per their collective bargaining agreement. A hired flagger can double for something else and flag only when needed.i agree that there are times where having a cop is better, or even necessary, but there are a lot of scenarios where a cop is definitely an overkill and we are still required to have them.
    Oh Yeah!

2. #62 Default  
    I think the cops time could be much better spent than sitting in a cruiser at a construction zone

3. #63 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    I think the cops time could be much better spent than sitting in a cruiser at a construction zone
    It is usually overtime, so they do not take away from the normal ticket writers.
    Matt

4. #64 Default  
    How many times have I been driving home from an event late on a Saturday night (usually early Sunday morning) down any one of MA major interstates and seen 3-4-5-6+ police cars along miles of highway, with little to no construction going on. All of them just sitting in their cars with the lights flashing away.
    Samuel C. Lurie - Owner/President
    The Beantown Sound - Professional Disc Jockey Services
    -----------------------------
    2012 Mercedes S65-AMG
    2011 Ford E350 Quigley 4x4
    2002 Porsche 996TT

5. #65 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by [cerberus] View Post
    It is usually overtime, so they do not take away from the normal ticket writers.
    It's not overtime. It's entirely separate and paid by the contractor. Detail earnings also don't count towards pension.

If you want to take on waste, do something about lifetime healthcare for city/state employees and their families. Also reform the pension system to eliminate double-dipping, king for a day and other loopholes that make the system easy to abuse.

-Justin
    Last edited by Justin.b; 01-19-2013 at 02:12 PM.

White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)

6. #66 Default  
    In the case of public work where does the money come from to pay the contractor which in turn pays for the police detail

7. #67 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    In the case of public work where does the money come from to pay the contractor which in turn pays for the police detail
    I'm not saying it doesn't come from tax money and I'm not saying it's not wasteful. I guess people focus on it because details are visible. But the waste in details is not even worth mentioning compared to the costs of the abuses in the pension system and the waste in the lifetime healthcare for public employees.

Chasing details first is like buying a project car with no engine, transmission, interior or electronics and detailing the paint as the first step of the project.

-Justin

White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)

8. #68 Default  
    That is true, because detail cost in the grand scheme of things is tiny.

My issue with it is that everyone knows its not always necessary, and we are knowingly being wasteful.
    Oh Yeah!

9. #69 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam @ The Beantown Sound View Post
    Since I don't mind taking some flames.....

I also propose we no longer use police for construction details. What does that cost per year in taxes? God only knows how many MILLIONS!
    We all commented on that while in Canada. They just use construction workers as flag men. Brilliant.

But good luck fighting the police union on that one
    Bath salts and dick pills

10. #70 Default  
    Whats the cost of an officer on detail vs a construction worker waving a flag? would imagine its pretty negligible

its still going to come out of the tax payers pocket

11. #71 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by streetxdreamer View Post
    Whats the cost of an officer on detail vs a construction worker?

a construction laborer gets anywhere from $15-$30 an hour

12. #72 Default  
    I know a lot of cops.. a few of them take so much detail work that it affects their regular duties.. They just park the cruiser and sleep sometimes and call me to tell me how tired as hell they are. WTF dude!

and speaking of the cruiser they take to details...there is extra depreciation, extra miles and extra maint that costs us $$$$$? they should be at least required to take their own vehicles with portable blue flashers...

but things will never change... the police unions, teachers unions, postal service unions, public transit unions are blocking progress in our country for the sake of extreme greed.

13. #73 Default  
    Whats the cost of an officer on detail vs a construction worker waving a flag? would imagine its pretty negligible

there is a cost difference in pay. but the bigger thing is having a construction worker waving a flag means when he doesnt need to wave a flag, he can be helping with something else. Where as if you pay for a cop, it is usually a minimum of 4 hours (or somettimes you pay them in 4 hours blocks) where you still need to hire another construction worker to do something else because the cop isnt going to do anything else but wave flags. So its more like paying more for a cop, and have to pay for an extra guy at the same time
    Oh Yeah!

14. #74 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cheu_f50 View Post
    there is a cost difference in pay. but the bigger thing is having a construction worker waving a flag means when he doesnt need to wave a flag, he can be helping with something else. Where as if you pay for a cop, it is usually a minimum of 4 hours (or somettimes you pay them in 4 hours blocks) where you still need to hire another construction worker to do something else because the cop isnt going to do anything else but wave flags. So its more like paying more for a cop, and have to pay for an extra guy at the same time
    I was talking about replacing the officer with an additional worker to be the flag person not adding another worker to do the construction job

15. #75 Default  
    I was talking about replacing the officer with an additional worker to be the flag person not adding another worker to do the construction job
    you wouldnt replace thats the point. If you have the construction guys flagging - you have your normal crew, with one guy our of your normal crew dedicated to flags when necessary. If you have the cops doing detail - the cop is additional.
    Oh Yeah!

16. #76 Default  
    in another words - flagging generally is a task that is absorbed by the crew. Where as in many states where Unions are strong, it became a position.
    Oh Yeah!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Thread Information