Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: RB26DETT powered 240sx Convertible Build Thread

1. #1 Default RB26DETT powered 240sx Convertible Build Thread 
    So here is some background on me and the car.

I started this build over 2 years ago and this build shows from then till now. I began planning this car back in 2007 when I was deployed (Active Army 1st Cav Baby!)

So for the next year to year and a half I slowly built up a list of what I wanted to use and then found the car (shipped from FL so there is little to no rust)

Currently, I'm finishing my Associates Degree in Science for BMW Technology (Last semester now) I also work at a BMW dealership but I'll leave it at that. Currently just part-time technician there until I graduate and then possibly going on to BMW STEP training.

I have a lot more planned for this car but it will be over time little by little (blowing all my money on all my tools for now)

It's long (had to split it into multiple posts) but enjoy and I'm sure you'll see me around if you havn't already.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is my 1993 240sx Vert

The old KA24DE (will put in classifieds later, does have a 5 speed trans)

Out with the old and in with the RB
    This RB26DETT is from R32 purchased from JDMofMiami
    Will be using Syko Performance Mounting kit

Stock Turbos

I did put the Tein Super Drift Coilovers on and ran into a convertible issue that some of you may already know.
    The re-enforcment for the vert sits right over the rear coilover dampener adjustment and will actually hit the adjuster.

The solution??? DREMEL!!!!

I also installed the Circuit Sports Coolant tank.

Next I put a triple gauge pod in place of the center vent

Kaaz 1.5 LSD is in the big brown box next to the Apexi intake kit.

DriveShaftShop Drive Shaft

Spec Stage 2 Clutch Kit (RB25)

HKS Blow Off Valve (real not a fakey)

Mishimoto Intercooler

Z32 30MM Aluminum Front Calipers with OE Brembo Rotors

NUR Spec Cover Plate

It will be going on Carbon Fiber Covers, I'll post the pics of them when they get in.

Apexi GTR Intake system with stock GTR MAF's

Sorry I dont have it out but I dont want it getting messed up,
    Blitz Nur spec exhaust.

Autometer ES (glows red with black background) electirc fullsweep boost, oil temp, and water temp and a electric short sweep oil pressure
    And a electric HVAC controller from a JDM S13

GTS-T Crossmember (new) RB25 engine mounts (new) purchased right from Syko Performance.
    Syko Performance RB26DETT into S13 Mounts.
    Apexi Downpipe (has to be modified)

RB26DETT Carbon Fiber Timing and Coil Covers (non-Kansei)

Got my GTR steering wheel

Brought the last of the parts down today, Blitz nur exhaust, apexi r32
    intake kit with stock MAFs and the driveshaft.
    Here are some more pics.
    The KA is out, I'll find out if the shops wants to do somthing with it or it
    may be up for partout.

The RB on the stand getting some reconditioning and upgrades.

Here is a picture of the sway bar I put in a few months ago,I got the
    Tanabe sway bar set (they are awsome in the corners). The front is huge
    its a 30.5mm

Last is the whole car on the lift

Test fitted of the carbon fiber covers.

Engine bay stripped with the crossmember and the upgrades to the rack
    and pinion

Greddy timing belt N1 water pump and N1 Oil pump

The fitment of the carbon fiber peices were near perfect!!!

Oil pan needed cutting and welding
    I had a friend at work weld it up.

I also sandblasted the valve covers and repainted them with
    high heat gloss black paint. Heres pics of what they'll look like on the motor.

2. #2 Default  
    They were mounting the motor for hopefully the last time ha ha ha
    (words from the Techs mouth)
    All the parts on the two shelves in the background (yeah all of it for this)

These are the R32 GTS-T wheels
    they look tiny compared to the GTR wheels in the other picture.

R32 GTR 16x8 wheels

I'll have some more pics a few days hopfully they'll have my valve covers
    back on so it'll start to look a little cleaner.

GTR wheels how they will look on the car.
    30mm rotor
    5 lug conversion
    Red Rays lug nuts

Nismo Transmission mount
    There was a mix up with the order I had to order a set
    but they sent me 2 Transmission mounts and 1 Engine mount
    So the 1 Trans mount and the 1 Engine mount are for sale in the classifieds.

Got the new HKS Type 1 Turbo Timer

I wish I had some better pictures but it was dark where the car was.

The engine is fully mounted in and it fits way better than I thought it would.
    The valve covers are back mounted on, and the radiator is in but I'm
    almost positive that will be in and out with the crank pulley not being here
    yet.

And heres just a pic of my wifes car (her project)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T Quatro
    AWE Tuning Exhaust with black diamond tips (made to order, still waiting)
    ECS carbon Fiber engine cover
    APR Carbonio Intake
    Forge 007 Diverter Valve
    New OZ 18x8 Superterismo GT Black Rims
    235/40ZR -18 Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum XL Tires

Here's the Downpipe issue that is being worked out right now I edited the picture to explain but
    basiclly the o2 elbow on the front turbo comes out in the middle of the steering shaft (common issue
    from what I hear)

Brand new from Japan, rb25 (non-Neo) Crank pulley
    Down side was that it was a 4-8 week wait
    Up side New stock part for $100

Also picked up 88 300zx BMC
    Brembo OE S14 Rotors for the S14 Rear brake conversion
    Nismo Short shifter for RB25

Sent a 23710-05U61 ECU to AutoVaughn Performance in Murfreesboro, TN for a NIStune Type-2 package (board install,
    cable, software etc..)

R32 GTR wheels on with the powdercoated 300zx 30mm aluminum brakes with Brembo OEM rotors

Just got my new tires put on, the 225/55 16 that were on the GTR wheels rubbed because they are
    8in's wide and the very corner of the tire hit the back towards the door,so I threw on some Maxxis V-1 225/45 16
    and they work really well. Not to mention they look wicked nice on the car.

Here are some pics of the mounts with the skyline motor mounts and Syko mounts.
    Also the greddy oil filter and cooler block adaptor setup

Huge 30.5mm Tanabe Sway bar, Modifyed oil pan, Kics magnetic drain plug

Other side with the mounts, turbo lines so on

GTR Wheels, 300ZX 30MM brakes and Volk Lug nuts in all their glory

And the nasty Blitz Nur spec Exhaust

Samco RB25DET Radiator hoses, checked the fitment and they need alittle trimmiing like
    others have said but they will fit near perfectly. Waiting on ebrake cables and breather hoses.

It's running on 6 cylinders now, aparently it had an extra ground wire which wasn't even in the diagram.

Water pump issue
    Notice the origanal Water pump has just a single hole
    but the N1 has a oblong hole? Well the hole is so big it doesn't match up to the block and coolant sprayed out. Needs to be welded and then re-drilled. I have 2 N1's and it was on both of them, probably because it's for the RB25 and RB26 I think.

Sadly because of this it had to be torn apart (sucks but better now than later)

I love my cooling system though (greddy breather swirl tank)

Here's the Exhaust pics

Custom pipe from turbo to the downpipe

Modified Apexi Downpipe

Custom made Flex Test Pipe (yup no Cat)

Custom exhaust hangers

Innovate Wideband O2

3. #3 Default  
    Mishimoto Intercooler

Tanabe Sway bar, Oil pan ...etc

Wideband Gauge, Dakoda digital boxes in glove box

I searched the car for rust and only found some bubbling in the bottom of the drives rear quarter but still easily fixable, and this in the passangers rear wheel well, not bad for the year but I need to fix these.

Part of the Greddy swirl tank hoseing

I pulled the bumper and bumper support and cut crap out for better cooling. I will have picks of everything back on tomorrow. And it ran 30 degrees cooler, before I was running 200-210 upto 220 with the turbos spooled but now its 180-190 with turbos spooled.

Not the prettiest but I needed the cooling and just from this it's running 30 degrees cooler

Downpipe is like an inch from the ground.

Finally Finished my Reciculation and fitted it in the car and it runs smoother but still boggy.

This is the recirculation pipe after I hacked and slashed it and had it welded.

This is it all done on the motor after another hack and slash, I fabed up all the pieces and had them all welded up and it sits really well in there.

The wife finally cleaned her car up so I had to take some pics and throw them up. Ha ha ha

I torn it down some to torque down the head bolts and check some stuff.

The headbolts did move some

Tear down took 1 hr to 1.5 hrs wasn't keeping track just know my wife showed up from work just in time for the aftermath and devistation of my only vehicle in peices in her dads garage ha ha ha.

The pics are in order of my disassembly

Ashes in my turbo IC collector pipe

Some pics I took before winter

Fuji SPL Meet before winter hit

New Clutchmaster clutch because SPEC sucks and burnt out in less than 5000 miles

Winter Blues while it waited for repairs

It's back up and running and I replaced the broken drivers door handle

So my wife ruined her basiclly new computer with viruses and maxing the harddrive space out with music and crap as well as whatever else she did to it, until it was usless.

She said if I can fix it I can have it and I love challenges and needed a new computer just for Nistune and school work.

It took me close to 16 hours to copy things and clean the whole system up but I did it and loaded Nistune and Logworks for the Wideband on.

I now have a computer dedicated to tuneing.

Finally got around to doing a continuity test on the O2's to make sure they were in the right position.................They are, the problem lies else where

Remounted the oil cooler because the fittings were dangerously close to the ground and have scraped in the past.

Origanlly how it was

Ran the lines over the IC piping

Removed the bumper support and cut a little off to make some room

Snapped a pic while everything was off

New oil cooler position

Where it is in the bumper

DYNO SHEETS

Dyno'd it last Friday and made 330hp @6600rpm when I had some coil pack break up.
    VIDEO BELOW[/color]
    RB26DETT 240sx Convertible on dyno

4. #4 Default  
    After CIP in CT I had bad turbo gasket leaking.

I brought it into work today and found some nice stuff
    P.S. I hope I never have to do it again ha ha ha

Here are the pics

First I pulled the intakes

Pulled the collector piping and started ploting on how to deal with the vaccum and coolant hardlines

Next I had to remove the heat shields, the rear one gave me a really hardtime

Got those off and check out what the problem was

I don't know if you can see it but nuts were missing

What wasn't missing were completely no tension loose

I replaced all the nuts with new ones and torqued them down to spec and re-bent the nut holder tabs that stop them from moving.

The nuts on Both the turbo/manifold and turbo/o2 housing on both turbos were like that. Basicly nothing was attached. Friggin crazy

Snapped a pic of the Snail and then packed it all back up

As good as new with increadible spool time, almost instant boost pressure.

Brought my tires into BMW and mounted and balanced them today so I thought I'd take some pics for those of you who have never seen how to dismount and mount tires.

So first you have to take the Schrader valve out of the valve stem and then let the air drain out.

Then you break the bead on both sides using the tire machine like this.

Then you put the rim and tire combo up on the machine and tighten it down. Next you catch the lip with the arm and use a tire pry bar to hook the bead and pull it up over the arm.

Then you press the foot pedal to turn the wheel and it will start to seperate the tire and rim.

Then you pull the bottom of the tire up as high as possible on the side closest to you and pry the opposite side up the same way as before. Sorry I didn't get a pic of it I was busy doing it ha ha.

Then the rim is bare and awaits some new shoes.

Make sure before you mount the new tire that you follow either the direction of the tire or if there is no outside/inside or direction that you mount the FULL DOT number on the outside. Just a good habit to get into. Also you want to make sure you lubricate the bead up nicely so it will go on easily.

The bottom can in most cases just be pushed down on the rim but some need a little extra using the arm and the pedal to spin the wheel.

Once the bottom is on then you use the arm and pull the bead over the left side of the arm and flip down the roller and give it a little spin.

As you can see from the pic below I use a wedge that tightens on to the rim to ad force, some guys use the pry bars but I don't like to because they can damage the rim and/or break the tire bead which is bad to say the least.

Once that's down you fill her up with air until you hear the 2 loud pops from the bead seating. Just fill it up to 30-35psi and slap the valve back in and it's all set for a nice balancing.

Just a pic of my brakes and suspension because I love them ha ha ha

Took me about 30 mins to tear everything out for the install

Swapped out the uncracked modified dash for my old cracked one.

I wont name the site that I got the wiring conversion from because I'm going to talk crap about it. It was just plain poorly done. I spent way to much time correcting the wiring. I still have some left but I'll get to it.

Here it is once I fixed the wiring and got it working properly

And here are the pics of it in the car for my drive home. Still have some fixes that need to be done. Have to convert the speed though, reads like double of triple right now, using my Dakota Digital converter to do it.

5. #5 Default  
    I love what you've done with the car, I didn't know you were on this forum. I remember seeing this car for the first time last year and you started the engine and revved it for me I was so happy haha. Also we met at Mass Bay last year, I asked if you owned this car, I'm not sure if you remember me but GREAT write up man!

6. #6 Default  
    I have already told you in person a few times but I love this car. Looks great and must be a blast to drive.
    '86 325es - MTechnic I - s54tu
    '89 325is
    '08 RS4

7. #7 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnIrvine View Post
    I love what you've done with the car, I didn't know you were on this forum. I remember seeing this car for the first time last year and you started the engine and revved it for me I was so happy haha. Also we met at Mass Bay last year, I asked if you owned this car, I'm not sure if you remember me but GREAT write up man!
    You were the one that put those videos up on Youtube right? I remember. 800HP? (Shakes head and facepalm follows) ha ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by Cristov9000 View Post
    I have already told you in person a few times but I love this car. Looks great and must be a blast to drive.
    I remember, we spoke briefly a few times. Love your E30's by the way, they were deffinitly done right. Not half-assed at all. Always two thumbs up in my book.

8. #8 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost_22_47 View Post
    You were the one that put those videos up on Youtube right? I remember. 800HP? (Shakes head and facepalm follows) ha ha ha
    Ya, i did that so I could attract more views (130,000 for the 2 videos since may)

9. #9 Default  
    Looks like you still have some work to do but it is coming along nicely. I respect anyone that puts that kind of work into something. Looking forward to seeing the final product.
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    I stopped a moment like that too... I wiped Mat's cheek cause he had nutella all over his face

10. #10 Default  
    Have you had any issues with the exhaust hitting the ground?

When I had my Apexi dual on my 240, that thing was hitting on everything. It hit so hard on a speedbump once that it snapped the flange off my exhaust manifold. I finally went with a Circuit Sports. It may have had an extra bend in the tubing, but it hung up a lot tighter to the underside of the chassis.

Did you get the climate control working? It's a cool unit, but when I looked into it and found out about the wiring involved I just kept the levers. You seem to have a lot more patience than I for wiring.

Awesome build.

-Justin

White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)

11. #11 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin.b View Post
    Have you had any issues with the exhaust hitting the ground?

When I had my Apexi dual on my 240, that thing was hitting on everything. It hit so hard on a speedbump once that it snapped the flange off my exhaust manifold. I finally went with a Circuit Sports. It may have had an extra bend in the tubing, but it hung up a lot tighter to the underside of the chassis.

Did you get the climate control working? It's a cool unit, but when I looked into it and found out about the wiring involved I just kept the levers. You seem to have a lot more patience than I for wiring.

Awesome build.

-Justin
    Yeah my downpipe is like an inch or inch and a half to the ground at one point but I don't have to many issues with it. I just avoid any bump and NEVER go over speed bumps ha ha ha. I found flanges and I will eventually be making my own specificly for retaining the twin turbos on the rb26 in an S13. Mainly to be able to ditch the pipe reduction needed to snake through the steering staft to rack. I can open it up and run it a different way and increase the pipe diameter and there by increase the exhaust flow for better efficiency.

Electrically yeah I got it working but I ended up selling it. I have another but it is missing some stuff I need. I don't need motor anyways because that just switches the vent from bypassing the heater core. I have no A/C and have it set to full heat anyways so I will get another sensor kit and put it in sometime, it'll go nicely with the NX digital cluster.

12. #12 Default  
    very nice build, i'm on the build of a rb25 into a datsun 240z
    '00 GS300
    '08 IS250
    '05 IS300
    '73 240Z
    Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Philsans5
    Wes get your hands out of there!
    Quote Originally Posted by streetxdreamer View Post
    spotted LFA in toilet, promptly flushed it
    Quote Originally Posted by MassBimmer View Post
    Hennessey

13. #13 Default  
    very nice!
    Porsche 991 GT3
    Green/ Black Iridescent
    HRE P101-IPE Catless Exhaust- Techart Steering Wheel-991R/ Classic Livery- Carbon Fiber Exterior Package

14. #14 Default Had a good read of this forum :) 
    Loved browsing this forum Btw, if anyone wants to know the best online casino in Indonesia, may I suggest looking at this bagus hebat link sbobet site along with this bagus luar biasa sbobet page and this baik terbaik situs alternatif sbobet website and don't forget this bagus terbaik link sbobet, not to mention this hebat bagus sbobet website along with this luar biasa hebat link sbobet page and this teratas baik sbobet alternatif forum and don't forget this bagus hebat link alternatif sbobet and this terbaik baik judi sbobet alternatif page along with this hebat hebat link alternatif sbobet website too!

15. #15 Default Loved browsing this article :) 
    Love a good read of this forum Btw, check out this Consumers Companion guide to resurge review complaints with this resurge review complaints website as well as this resurge supplement reviews 2020 page and even this resurge supplement reviews 2020 page together with this resurge supplement reviews 2020 website, it's great!

16. #16 Default Had a good read of this page :) 
    Loving the insights of this page Btw, if you want to know the best online casino in Indonesia, I highly suggest this luar biasa judi online site along with this teratas bandar judi bola profile and this luar biasa togel online forum and don't forget this luar biasa judi bola, not to mention this baik sbobet profile alongside this luar biasa sbobet profile and this luar biasa bandar judi bola site and don't forget this luar biasa sbobet and this teratas togel online forum along with this bagus sbobet website too! Also check out this teratas bandar sbobet forum along with this terbaik dadu online site and this baik maxbet online forum and don't forget this hebat agen sbobet, not to mention this bagus dadu online website along with this bagus maxbet online forum and this baik sbobet profile and don't forget this luar biasa sbobet and this bagus bandar judi bola forum along with this terbaik sbobet profile too!

17. #17 Default Love reading this forum :) 
    Loving the insights of this site Btw, if you want to know the best oleratine online, I highly recommend this best oleuropein.org site to see along with this cool Oleratine site to check out and this cool oleratine.com site to peruse.

I must also suggest this recommended dbs check site to peruse along with this best dbs check page to see and this great dbs check website to peruse and don't forget this great dbs check website to check out, not to mention this great dbs check site to peruse alongside this top dbs check website to see and this top dbs check page to see and don't forget this best dbs check forum to see and this good dbs check website to peruse along with this recommended dbs check website to see too.

Finally I highly suggest this top animated text fx wordpress site along with this good wp text fx page and this top wp text effects website and don't forget this recommended wp animated text, not to mention this top wordpress effects profile is great as well!

Thread Information