Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Best Rewards Hotel and Credit Cards

1. #1 Default Best Rewards Hotel and Credit Cards 
    I know the topic of best rewards cards has been discussed here, so I apologize for any redundancy.

I am starting a new job come June which will involve traveling Monday through Thursday. I will be using my personal card for expenses with reimbursement. That being said, I wanted to ask people's opinions on the best cards for travel, business expenses, and hotels. I anticipate using multiple cards if need be if the rewards programs differ in their offerings for airline purchases versus gasoline.

That being said, I have family that use strictly Marriott hotels to travel and earn rewards/points at. They also have a Marriott rewards credit card to charge the stay at to maximize on points earned. Is Marriott the best chain or should I consider Starwood, Hilton, Comfort Suites, etc.?

Im also debating splurging for the Amex Platinum, granting access to the airport lounges. Anyone have any experience opinion on this?

Thanks for any and all input.

2. #2 Default  
    Amex is great for Hotel points

My parents take a vacation yearly on Marriott points through Amex

3. #3 Default  
    i look at the conversion rate between amex points and a hotel stay and its less than 100 points to a $1, which makes ur return less than 1%. it would actually be smarter to just cash out amex points for a gift card that has a 100/1 conversion rate and book your hotel through expedia.

4. #4 Default  
    I have a AMEX Hilton Honors card that I use. Pretty decent rewards program. I wanna say it's 1 point per normal $1 spent, 3 points per $1 on gas and it's 6 points per $1 spent at Hilton hotels.
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    I stopped a moment like that too... I wiped Mat's cheek cause he had nutella all over his face

5. #5 Default  
    domestic travel or international travel?

I can only see lounges being a good thing for international travels. You dont have that much time between flights for domestic connections, and when you do the lounge itself might not be at the terminal you are at/going to.

came across this - http://cdn.nerdwallet.com/infographi...el-rewards.jpg

seems like Marriott has more hotels compared to Hilton/Starwood. Personally I dont think I prefer one or the other - so its all down to what is more widely available for me.
    Oh Yeah!

6. #6 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cheu_f50 View Post
    domestic travel or international travel?

I can only see lounges being a good thing for international travels. You dont have that much time between flights for domestic connections, and when you do the lounge itself might not be at the terminal you are at/going to.

came across this - http://cdn.nerdwallet.com/infographi...el-rewards.jpg

seems like Marriott has more hotels compared to Hilton/Starwood. Personally I dont think I prefer one or the other - so its all down to what is more widely available for me.
    Most, if not all of the travel would be domestic. My thoughts behind the platinum card are as follows:
    1. Airlines suck and are often delayed.
    2. Gen-Pop airport wifi is slow and annoying
    3. Charging ports are scarce in the waiting areas
    4. Waived $100 fee for a Trusted Travler global entry card.

Marriott seems to have the most comprehensive networks of hotels, both affordable and high end. Thats how I have been leaning thus far, just thought I would explore other options first.

7. #7 Default  
    You're on the right track.

Marriott is probably the best as all around rewards/convenience/locations/etc I have typically end up splitting my stays between Hilton and Marriott.

I've used the airport lounge access benefit of Amex platinum quite a few times. It's a nice perk, but that alone may not be worth the annual fee. When I traveled a lot for business it made sense. You also get a couple of hundred in airline credits per year. You have to select one airline at the beginning of the year and then you can use those credits for baggage fees and onboard purchases. That comes in handy on personal travel.
    -Mike
    2006 Quarter Pounder Sport GT with cheese.

8. #8 Default  
    Bumping old thread I saw while searching for something else . . .

I use a Chase Sapphire visa, for several years now. It's been my favorite card to date by far. My Amex goes unused and my Marriott card is long gone.

There was a time when some cards like the Marriott card had really good returns. If you saved enough points for a week-long resort destination, you got a substantial discount. Now, I'm not aware of any "reward" card that beats a cash-back card.

The Chase card is 1% plus more on certain purchases, and when I call them, someone picks up the phone and asks what they can do to help.

Overseas, I use a Capital One card because it doesn't have a foreign transaction fee.

BTW, if you don't do it already, get a separate card for you're automatic charges, such as phone bills, cable, etc. Leave that card at home. It's much less likely to get compromised or lost. You'll be happy you did if you're regular card gets lost or stolen since you won't have a bunch of companies to call with updated credit card info.
    -Shawn
    NEMOLL

Thread Information