Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: F1 2013 - Mercedes AMG - Pit Stop Training W/ Hamilton & Rosberg

1. #1 Default F1 2013 - Mercedes AMG - Pit Stop Training W/ Hamilton & Rosberg 
    Samuel C. Lurie - Owner/President
    The Beantown Sound - Professional Disc Jockey Services
    -----------------------------
    2012 Mercedes S65-AMG
    2011 Ford E350 Quigley 4x4
    2002 Porsche 996TT

2. #2 Default  
    damn thats fast, the wheel is held on but just one bolt though, didnt know that.
    any idea how much tire thread they go through before a pit stop?

3. #3 Default  
    I stopped being impressed by F1 pit stops when it because just tires. 4 guys with pneumatic guns and of course it's going to be fast.

I love watching LeMans pit stops when they're replacing parts. They can change out the bodywork and half the car in less than a minute, absolutely amazing. Watching ALMS at Lime Rock is even better since you can wander the pits. Watched one of the Moslers (i think) a couple years ago come in, get almost completely rebuilt, and then force its way through the crowd back to the track.

4. #4 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    I stopped being impressed by F1 pit stops when it because just tires. 4 guys with pneumatic guns and of course it's going to be fast.

I love watching LeMans pit stops when they're replacing parts. They can change out the bodywork and half the car in less than a minute, absolutely amazing. Watching ALMS at Lime Rock is even better since you can wander the pits. Watched one of the Moslers (i think) a couple years ago come in, get almost completely rebuilt, and then force its way through the crowd back to the track.
    They used to do refueling and tires, but fans got upset that winning races became more about pit strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Muscle View Post
    damn thats fast, the wheel is held on but just one bolt though, didnt know that.
    any idea how much tire thread they go through before a pit stop?
    And they dont technically have treads because they run slicks in the dry. Wear is largely dependent on the track surface, track layout, asphalt temp, and the particular tire compound used for the stint. I think each team goes through 4 or 5 sets, and they cost about $1000 each.
    Oh Yeah!

5. #5 Default  
    awesome video. during last F1 race they showed clip, you couldn't see them do the tires they where that fast lol

6. #6 Default  
    impressive but im more impressed with nascar crews

7. #7 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by streetxdreamer View Post
    impressive but im more impressed with nascar crews
    +1

5 lugs per wheel done one side at a time, fuel, and suspension adjustments in 15 seconds. plus duct tape and pulling sheet metal where needed.

8. #8 Default  
    NASCAR/Le Mans crew are pretty impressive, but I love the organization of a F1 pitstop. you have 17 guys all in sync to preform a task for under 3 seconds, every guy as one job and one job only.
    Oh Yeah!

9. #9 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cheu_f50 View Post
    NASCAR/Le Mans crew are pretty impressive, but I love the organization of a F1 pitstop. you have 17 guys all in sync to preform a task for under 3 seconds, every guy as one job and one job only.
    Yes, but that job is just tires these days. 17 guys to swap 4 tires using 4 nuts and 4 guns.

The nascar stop are impressive, but i just can't bring myself to watch the races, they are sooo boring.

10. #10 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    Yes, but that job is just tires these days. 17 guys to swap 4 tires using 4 nuts and 4 guns.

The nascar stop are impressive, but i just can't bring myself to watch the races, they are sooo boring.
    yup. wouldve been 2 more guys if there was refueling. The nature of the stop is still exactly the same though, because it takes longer to wait for the fuel to be pumped into the car and its just 2 guys attaching a hose on the car. The one LOL year of F1 pitstop was the one year where they made a rule about how tires need to last the entire race. Cars come in, get fuel, and off they go with almost no input from the crew.
    Oh Yeah!

Thread Information