Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Upgrading factory audio system in GMT800 Tahoe

Hybrid View

1. #1 Default Upgrading factory audio system in GMT800 Tahoe 
    So my buddy has a 2002 Tahoe with blown out speakers and asked me to help him replace the audio system. Since its all being replaced anyway he figured he should upgrade it a little bit. I know next to nothing about stereo equipment so I'm a little out of my element here.

It seems like his car has 4 door speakers that are 6 3/4 inches, and then two smaller roof speakers that are 4 1/2 inches and a 8 inch sub. I think he wants to spend less than $450 total. Is this doable? Where should we start?
    '84 Carrera
    '04 330xi ZSP
    '03 Suzuki SV650
    '77 Triumph Bonneville T140

2. #2 Default  
    learn how to take door panels off without breaking tabs. the speakers will be plug and play, the sub will probably need a connector of some sort.

$450 total can be done without using complete shit components. go on crutchfield.com and see what they have.

I personally love Kenwood for their value but they are by no means a high end audio company.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KFC1...620.html?tp=94

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KFC1...4S.html?tp=102

and the sub probably needs to be a shallow mount to fit in the stock location

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113XW80...0F.html?tp=111

That's $360 for everything.

3. #3 Default  
    I can do the actual install, I've done that before, I've just never done the ordering of parts and don't know what to look for.

With those speakers you posted, would I need to upgrade the amp and head unit as well?
    '84 Carrera
    '04 330xi ZSP
    '03 Suzuki SV650

4. #4 Default  
    No like I said above everything is plug and play. The more watts you give them (up to their limit of course), they better they will sound, but they work just fine on stock connections.

5. #5 Default  
    Awesome, thanks
    '84 Carrera
    '04 330xi ZSP
    '03 Suzuki SV650

6. #6 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Juan View Post
    I can do the actual install, I've done that before, I've just never done the ordering of parts and don't know what to look for.

With those speakers you posted, would I need to upgrade the amp and head unit as well?
    i have always had a pioneer radio, i dont know much about kenwood but the pioneer charges your phone/iphone while you are driving and listening to music which is a plus. i find it also to be the easiest unit to use.

7. #7 Default  
    Blog Entries
    I've got some great equipment if you want to buy second hand... Boston Accoustic components as well as JL amps
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

Thread Information