Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: welfare vs minimum wage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Default welfare vs minimum wage 
    interesting

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...est=latestnews

also, should a drug test be required to claim welfare ?

2. #2 Default  
    Which drugs?
    Just the right amount of way too much.

Don't make me assume my ultimate form.

3. #3 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    I firmly believe that if i have to pass a drug test to get a normal job, you must also pass one to get welfare/unemployment/etc.

4. #4 Default  
    Seems reasonable that if you want society to support you, you should at least obey the laws of society.

5. #5 Default  
    On the radio yesterday, there was a report that Masaschusetts ranks 3rd in the country for welfare handouts. The average person receiving welfare benefits receives $50K/year.

there are people with master's degrees and real jobs not making that much. wtf.

Last edited by Intheflesh; 08-22-2013 at 11:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    You.... have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    you have issues.

6. #6 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    I firmly believe that if i have to pass a drug test to get a normal job, you must also pass one to get welfare/unemployment/etc.
    me too

7. #7 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Intheflesh View Post
    On the radio yesterday, there was a report that Masaschusetts ranks 3rd in the country for welfare handouts. The average person receiving welfare benefits receives $50K/year.

there are people with master's degrees and real jobs not making that much. wtf.

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2013/...hat-pays-more/

their info was probably from this? i'm guessing that masshealth highly inflates that number though? idk.

8. #8 Default  
    I should just quit my job and go on welfare then, I'd get a raise

9. #9 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Contra View Post
    http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2013/...hat-pays-more/

their info was probably from this? i'm guessing that masshealth highly inflates that number though? idk.
    Yep, WSJ was their source.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    You.... have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    you have issues.

10. #10 Default  
    i see both sides. if i do manage to get on welfare i want to be able to smoke crack.
    Father of Phiff

11. #11 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
    i see both sides. if i do manage to get on welfare i want to be able to smoke crack.
    sell house acquire trailer...and crack whore wife with 9 kids

profit ?

12. #12 Default  
    Will need to afford eyebrow paint as well

13. #13 Default  
    we can tattoo them on, prison style with a switch blade and some ink from an old pen

14. #14 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
    lol, hell yeah

We were on welfare when I was a kid (like pre-middle school), but no drugs.

I think it depends which drugs get tested for.
    If you test for pot, then need to test for booze too.

Crack and meth make people highly motivated. Not usually in constructive manners.
    Heroin, that person is definitely not ever going to look for a job, or leave their couch. On the plus side, the purity keeps swinging as different groups come and go, so you get more welfare recipient turnover via overdoses.
    Just the right amount of way too much.

Don't make me assume my ultimate form.

15. #15 Default  
    I'm done with the drug testing thing. Because we've become spineless cunts willing to piss in a cup for the chance to earn less than a welfare recipient doesn't mean everyone should have to piss in a cup every time they want to do anything.

Welfare is tied to the costs of living and providing for the people in a household. Salaries are only tied to the lowest amount someone is willing to take to do a job. College kids are coming out of school with $150k+ loans hanging over them and jump at the first $35k job offer that comes their way, then are more than happy to work 15 hour days, weekends and holidays without compensation.

And somehow, instead of being pissed that we're getting screwed and trying to elevate our own positions, we seek to knock down anyone that's getting a perceived better deal.

-Justin

White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)

16. #16 Default  
    you've got to be kidding me

17. #17 Default  
    10/10

18. #18 Default  
    If I wasn't clear - my point is that salaries are too fucking low. I'm not saying that welfare should be a good career path.

-Justin

White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)

19. #19 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    interesting

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...est=latestnews

Two separate issues.

I'll take the last one first, since it's the easiest. No, drug testing should not be required, because it's not cost effective. Meaning, it's been shown, that the money saved from cut support, does not exceed the outlay to do the testing. Mainly because the idea that all welfare recipients are drug using fiends, is unfounded hysteria. This has been proven in both Florida and Utah, both states that implemented such laws.

The second part, regarding welfare vs. minimum wage. First let's start with the admittedly more ad hominem argument. Anything coming from the CATO Institute should throw a red flag immediately. Anything coming from the CATO Institute that is then regurgitated on Fox News, should definitely make you second guess what's being dished up. But if you move onto the data of the report ( http://object.cato.org/sites/cato.or...ff_2013_wp.pdf ), it's pretty typical CATO methodology, it's dressed up to look meaningful and well thought out like a peer reviewed article...but it's not. They take many...MANY...leaps of logic, and even admit to as much in nearly every category, as well as the telling, "Prebuttal to Critics" (I can't believe they seriously put that in there! haha...). Basically they admit to lumping everything in, including tax credits, but then justify it by freely fudging the numbers down a little (arbitrarily in some instances it seems) and admitting that they're admitting that. Oh, plus LOTS of tables, with fudged numbers to give an appearance of credibility.

This is fun!

20. #20 Default  
    I don't think the argument on drug testing for people claiming welfare is only one of saving money but rather of principal, should the tax payer be supporting someone's drug habit ? And maybe the people in Florida upon finding out that they would be drug tested stopped taking drugs in which case that's a good thing. Or maybe the drug tests just weren't good enough. In my opinion if you are being given financial assistance whether its welfare of unemployment then you should have to earn it, in the case of unemployment you should have to prove you are actively seeking employment, not just clicking a few buttons on website. With welfare then you should have to prove its not being used to support a drug habit.

I have no idea how extensive the Florida tests were but maybe just make them random if cost is a big issue, at least it would be some incentive for people to think twice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information