Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: syria.....what are your thoughts

1. #1 Unhappy syria.....what are your thoughts 
    I believe we should give the president the ability to strike, but only after he exhausts diplomatic mens. I think we need to trust that he will do the right thing - even though i dont like man. We cant ask him to show up at the table with no force.

Other things we have learned since sunday

1. John Kerry - is a complete bitch
    2. Russia is driving the middle east now and we are not even at the table.
    I am not a 14 year old girl, but I play one on the internet.

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say 'I don't know what these dangly things are, but I am going to yank on them and drink whatever comes out.'

2. #2 Default  
    Putting the American politics side out of it (liberals blah blah, conservatives yada yada) it's tough position. The Geneva convention is in place to prevent chemical warfare from happening, and those who use it need to be punished harshly to discourage the offender and the rest of the world from using chemical weapons. So if we don't strike, it makes the UNSC look bad (they're being a bunch of bitches about it IMO) in that the punishment for this is minimal (taking away and dismantling their weapons, a task headed by Russia, one of Syria's biggest allies....). If we do strike, we look bad to the rest of the UNSC who said no to force, further damage relations with Russia, and possibly help rebels who want nothing more than to take over the country and push an anti-West agenda. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. The president seems really trigger happy in this situation and I don't feel like it's for the right reasons.

If we take the diplomatic approach and just take away the weapons and leave it at that, it makes the punishment just a slap on the wrist. The UN was worried about proof, but Syria is essentially admitting guilt by allowing the rest of their chemical weapons to be taken away. It's like a kid who gets a BB gun, shoots the neighbor's kid, and only has it taken away instead of a serious ass whooping.
    Last edited by bigpoppa822; 09-11-2013 at 03:53 PM.

3. #3 Default  
    I think the US needs to stay out of Syria

4. #4 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by streetxdreamer View Post
    I think the US needs to stay out of Syria
    I think there is a difference between going into Syria, and reacting to what they have done. There should be retaliation for the chemical attacks. And i think the punishment should be more than just taking them away. But i'm not sure what the appropriate action is.

5. #5 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppa822 View Post
    Putting the American politics side out of it (liberals blah blah, conservatives yada yada) it's tough position. The Geneva convention is in place to prevent chemical warfare from happening, and those who use it need to be punished harshly to discourage the offender and the rest of the world from using chemical weapons. So if we don't strike, it makes the UNSC look bad (they're being a bunch of bitches about it IMO) in that the punishment for this is minimal (taking away and dismantling their weapons, a task headed by Russia, one of Syria's biggest allies....). If we do strike, we look bad to the rest of the UNSC who said no to force, further damage relations with Russia, and possibly help rebels who want nothing more than to take over the country and push an anti-West agenda. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. The president seems really trigger happy in this situation and I don't feel like it's for the right reasons.

If we take the diplomatic approach and just take away the weapons and leave it at that, it makes the punishment just a slap on the wrist. The UN was worried about proof, but Syria is essentially admitting guilt by allowing the rest of their chemical weapons to be taken away. It's like a kid who gets a BB gun, shoots the neighbor's kid, and only has it taken away instead of a serious ass whooping.
    depending on the personality of the child, giving them a serious ass whooping might provoke him to be even more aggressive and do something worse, or incite resent for said punishment. in this case, doing something like this to Syria will make them even more anti-west and even more aggressive. sometimes giving a punishment that is equivalent in seriousness isn't always the best punishment. while a stern punishment is necessary, you also want to give one that won't inspire more hate and fuel for war, but instead make them learn their lesson. easier said than done tho.

are we any better to go against the UN as they have?

6. #6 Default  
    i don't get why its our job to punish Syria. let someone else deal with it. and honestly attacking the country isnt going to fix the problem. theres no way to fix this situation with force.
    1991 VW GTI 8V ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)
    2017 VW GLI ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)

7. #7 Default  
    I have not heard a sound objective from the president or anyone else for that matter domestically or internationally.

Do I have issues with another war? no, if it is necessary, then do it.

I cannot stand behind some wishy washy plan that isnt going to put boots on the ground but suppose to teach Assad a lesson. I fail to see how that is possible or useful in any way.
    Oh Yeah!

8. #8 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Contra View Post
    in this case, doing something like this to Syria will make them even more anti-west and even more aggressive.
    Good example - Germany after WWI. They were so pissed once they were taken apart and dissembled from everything, they started second war.

9. #9 Default  
    syrians hate us

people in that region hate us

if we spend millions of or tax dollars and lives to invade, they will still hate us.. and we may even make more people hate us like russia

why are we doing this? because they gassed their own people? if two people that hate me gassed each other.. i wouldn't give a flying fsck.. why should we?

did syria send troops when we had our civil war?

let the french take care of it.. they owe us

10. #10 Default  
    About this whole case, let's be serious. Assad is no terrorist. He's a damn ophthalmologist, medical school graduate. He is the leader of the country but nothing like Hussein or Ahmadinejad. I read some conspiracy thing how it is Israel who is starting the war there to bring American army next door for an actual threat to them - Iran.

On a contrary, Assad was one of the people strongly against invading Iraq in 2003, even though it was obvious Syria and Iraq were enemies at that time. USA accused Assad back then for providing supplies to Iraq during the invasion. Assad must've been like: "are you serious?!".

While I don't think he's an angel, I don't think he could pull off a mass killing like that one few weeks ago.

11. #11 Default  
    Both sides suck, we should stay out of it and let them kill each other off, less crazy extremist To deal with later

12. #12 Default  
    I think the UN needs to do something if people are going to respect the UN, but I don't think the US needs to be the enforcer in this situation. We've done our share of policing the world, and it hasn't exactly worked out so great for us.

13. #13 Default  
    The UN has been a joke for years, no one respects it. And almost all the nations have no desire to enforce anything so the whole UN has no teeth without us. But then if we do any enforcing, they hate us for it. I say leave our guys out of harms way and worry about ourselves.

14. #14 Default syria.....what are your thoughts 
    We have our own problems at home

Debt
    Economic growth
    Jobless-ness
    Road infrastructure problems
    Behind in schooling and education
    And so much more

Before we can go fix everyone else, we should look in the mirror

The Muslim world hates us, for the most part. Lets not piss them off more.

15. #15 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cheu_f50 View Post
    I have not heard a sound objective from the president or anyone else for that matter domestically or internationally.

Do I have issues with another war? no, if it is necessary, then do it.

I cannot stand behind some wishy washy plan that isnt going to put boots on the ground but suppose to teach Assad a lesson. I fail to see how that is possible or useful in any way.
    This too. I don't understand the whole "what he did was so terrible, we need to fire a shot over the bow to send a message." Makes no sense. They say he is so terrible and they would like him removed from power. So if you're going to do anything, remove him. But just to lob a few bombs in there to try to cover Obama's ass is stupid and serves no purpose. What message does that send to other radical leaders? Not that we can afford to be removing him right now.

16. #16 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris! View Post
    We have our own problems at home

Debt
    Economic growth
    Jobless-ness
    Road infrastructure problems
    Behind in schooling and education
    And so much more

Before we can go fix everyone else, we should look in the mirror

The Muslim world hates us, for the most part. Lets not piss them off more.
    +1

We need to get our own damn house in order.
    CLS500 |AMG Package | Premium Package | Lighting Package | Entertainment Package | iPod Kit | Keyless Go | Parktronic | Distronic | Hands Free Communication | Bluetooth | Trunk Closer | Voice Command

R500 | Premium Package | Lighting Package | Entertainment Package | Parktronic | Hands Free Communication | Bluetooth | Chrome Package | On 20's

E320 | On Chrome 16's

17. #17 Default  
    Fuck Syria. We are not World Police.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevblah View Post
    i love that scope
    Kev: Who the Fuck would buy a P226 in 9mm ME: Ummm the Navy Seals? Kev: yeah well what do they know?
    Retired Professional Troll

18. #18 Default  
    I need to hear from a few of these folks before I make up my mind.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/johnekdahl/1...r-may-hav-a1x1

19. #19 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterZ View Post
    I need to hear from a few of these folks before I make up my mind.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/johnekdahl/1...r-may-hav-a1x1
    “You can’t beat your enemy anymore through wars; instead you create an entire generation of people revenge-seeking.”
    — George Clooney

20. #20 Default  
    Ya I'm not a citizen or resident, I just work here and pay a lot of taxes. I can still see the economics don't make sense to wage wars over principal alone - even the principal/reason is questionable

Thread Information