Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Anyone out there in IT land use a hosted PBX solution before

1. #1 Default Anyone out there in IT land use a hosted PBX solution before 
    Blog Entries
    Is there anything I might be missing? We've been having some phone issues around the office... Looks to be a pretty decent way to go for VoIP. Want to make sure there is something I'm not missing.
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

2. #2 Default  
    If you have a solid backbone, they make life so much easier... My company hasn't switched because our backbone has sucked ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    brass isn't good enough for those guys. Too heavy. They have burnt titanium because they are that awesome.

3. #3 Default  
    Blog Entries
    yeah our connections to them aren't a worry. Ive managed to track down 1 vendor who has positive reviews but I want to identify one or two more for quotes
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

4. #4 Default  
    My boss's wife used to do VoIP conversions.. I'll ask him in the morning
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    brass isn't good enough for those guys. Too heavy. They have burnt titanium because they are that awesome.

5. #5 Default  
    The hosted PBX provider won't be the problem, but your internal network needs to be configured correctly to support VoIP. This means good equipment with proper configurations and testing. Voice is the most sensitive type of data traffic and needs to be handled correctly. I have worked with many hosted PBX platforms and vendors. You can PM me the vendor you're considering and/or your installation size and network environment and I'd be happy to take a look at what you're considering.
    Joe

Estoril F30 335i ZMP

6. #6 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Sent you a PM

7. #7 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
    Voice is the most sensitive type of data traffic and needs to be handled correctly.
    I respectfully disagree I used to think the same, until I started playing around with VC. The only thing worse than real time voice, is real time video and voice!

That being said, we run Asterix internally with a solid SIP trunk provider and for the money it can't be beat. If you're ever interested in Asterix (an open source PBX platform) I'd highly recommend you look at a product made by a company called Asteria. They built a very functional web front end to Asterix which makes management pretty simple.

8. #8 Default  
    The F100 firm I work at has migrated to VOIP- actually using lync through our laptops. Voice quality is excellent, better than regular voice calls if we're calling another lync user. I bet they have some crazy robust QOS and traffic shaping going on to make it so reliable. (~19k employees in US)

9. #9 Default  
    Holy licensing bill, Lync ain't cheap. I looked at doing a proof of concept of Lync, the license cost per user (just for voice!) was about $110. That doesn't include server licensing, hardware (and Lync needs a lot of it), and CAL licensing for Lync's other pieces.

We ended up going with Cisco Jabber as our unified communications platform. Costs were cheaper (it's sad that anyone can make Cisco look cheap!). We run a significant percentage of Macs and the Lync experience isn't very good with them, plus we could still leverage our Cisco VC infrastructure.

We're by no means cheap either, we're a 2,000 person billion dollar company.

10. #10 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, we are getting out of the self hosted asterisk server business. Nothing but a head ache for us, and the time it would take for us to get up to speed is far too long.

11. #11 Default  
    Very thorough review with video walk though, looking for a tablet for my dad or an Apple Touch equivalent.

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/tablet.htm

2005 Civic EX Coupe SE (AT) - 21mm RSX rear sway Bar, Bilstein struts/shocks, Neuspeed Strut Bar, AEM SRI, Eibach Springs, Crower Stage 1 cam, bomerman19's BBK (Black), SS brake lines, Ingalls camber kit (F+R), OEM Fogs w/switch, EP3 Rear Discs (Black), EBC Red brake Pads (F+R)

1997 Accord EX (MT) - 227k+

XBL: burnout3amd
    PSN: burnout3amd

Trade your games and movies on Goozex

12. #12 Default  
    Blog Entries
    wrong thread I think

13. #13 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
    I respectfully disagree I used to think the same, until I started playing around with VC. The only thing worse than real time voice, is real time video and voice!

That being said, we run Asterix internally with a solid SIP trunk provider and for the money it can't be beat. If you're ever interested in Asterix (an open source PBX platform) I'd highly recommend you look at a product made by a company called Asteria. They built a very functional web front end to Asterix which makes management pretty simple.
    we had an internal asterisk server, actually multiple... and I respectfully disagree that for the money it can't be beat. We are at pretty similar spend per month to our overall monthly costs(actually a little less) with more features(since we couldn't get functionality working correctly in asterisk), and don't have to worry about updates, or call quality, getting hacked or the extra cycles it was taking to familiarize ourselves with a PBX. We were able to deploy a system across multiple offices, in multiple countries with one IT person and for the most part one person from each office that could assemble a phone and dial a number, lol

14. #14 Default  
    my company uses ringcentral, not sure how it differs from those other companies. but phone call quality is pretty good, and they updated their website recently so managing lines aren't too bad.

15. #15 Default  
    Blog Entries
    I assume the interfaces between the hosted carriers is pretty similar, the line management is simple. I think even a non IT person could do this

Thread Information