Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: "Tail of the Dragon" trip next spring?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Default "Tail of the Dragon" trip next spring? 
    Hey guys, whats up?

I was just browsing M3Post forum, and stumbled upon a cool thread about 3 M3 guys who drove from NYC to NC to have a blast along the famous "Tail of the Dragon" road. The reason why its famous is that it is a dangerous road with 318 curves in just 11 miles and also incredibly windy and twisty! Looks like a lot of fun!

I already looked it up on Google Maps, and the drive from Boston, MA (Larz Anderson starting point) would be an average of 15 hours (non-stop) so obviously this will have to be a three day or at least a weekend trip with pauses in between driving in order to enjoying it while remaining alert and rested.

There is already a thread gauging interest on M5Board and people are always looking to go on M3Post.

However, this would be a YR Members only event, sensibly limited to 5-10 cars, with the usual courtesy, respect and rules found here.

Would anyone from YR be interested in going in 2014?

P.S. Some pictures from the M3 trip mentioned above:

Regards,
    Aldiyar
    Last edited by Kazakh015; 11-14-2013 at 06:04 AM.
    "The E60's V10 is like dating that hot girl who takes you for granted, makes you buy her stuff all the time, the sex is mind blowing and she screams too loud during the act, mother never approved of her, and she got too drunk at your wedding and made out with the best man"

Aldiyar (Boston, MA)

2008 E60 BMW ///M5 (V10 SMG)
    40XXX Miles
    Spacegrau Metallic
    Vollleder Merino Silverstone II/ Alu Shadow, gebürstet

2. #2 Default  
    We did this trip last summer (2 summers ago now?), it was a great trip.
    Matt

3. #3 Default  
    Not a road I would rush back to, was fun to do once but I have driven much better roads.

Was not so much fun for a BMW in our group.

4. #4 Default  
    What Scott said.

its a good road but the drive to get to it is terrible. Glad I can say I've done it but def don't need to do it again.

5. #5 Default  
    Poor M6. Haven't seen that picture. Made me sad.

6. #6 Default  
    YR group shot at the start

boss on the dragon.

we had a great trip but in no rush to do it again.
    Father of Phiff

7. #7 Default  
    Our trip was kind of rushed on the way down there with a couple really long driving days. Going down and back in a weekend or three days would be a nightmare.

The dragon itself is unbelievable.

8. #8 Default  
    Blog Entries
    I'd like to do another trip that involves the roads around VA, I think there are suppose to be some great roads through there too?

edit:Blue Ridge Parkway
    Last edited by 55fanatic; 11-14-2013 at 10:27 AM.
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

9. #9 Default  
    Cabot Trail was much better, the drive there and back was pretty fun as well. The dragon is just too busy with bikes and tourists and the ride there and back was not so great.

10. #10 Default  
    surprised no one has posted youmustbenewhere.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    love to see your V... we have a bunch on the forum
    If referring to me, I have all the aids...

11. #11 Default  
    Heh...I drove fast. Alex had hangover. Too many G's. Had to stop to he could barf. Hilarious!

Samuel C. Lurie - Owner/President
    The Beantown Sound - Professional Disc Jockey Services
    -----------------------------
    2012 Mercedes S65-AMG
    2011 Ford E350 Quigley 4x4
    2002 Porsche 996TT

12. #12 Default  
    damn...what happened to that bmw?

13. #13 Default  

14. #14 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by inter1032 View Post
    damn...what happened to that bmw?
    vanos and smg pump blew up mid-run, happens to all of the M5/M6 cars

and then it slid off the road
    love to see your V... we have a bunch on the forum
    If referring to me, I have all the aids...

15. #15 Default  
    Blog Entries
    the footage from Tom Cote in the Lotus... wow, pretty sure the camera went IN your exhaust he got so close
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

16. #16 Default  
    The tail trip had some cool parts. I really enjoyed the secret detour which somehow placed us an hour ahead of the rest of the group. I did not enjoy having food poisoning for the first two days or so of the trip. Could not even drink any $1 sams in knoxville or wherever we were. The actual dragon was hard to drive in the slow4. Understeer everywhere.

17. #17 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    The tail trip had some cool parts. I really enjoyed the secret detour which somehow placed us an hour ahead of the rest of the group. I did not enjoy having food poisoning for the first two days or so of the trip. Could not even drink any $1 sams in knoxville or wherever we were. The actual dragon was hard to drive in the slow4. Understeer everywhere.
    LOL I was ok with you having food poisoning... I got to drive basically the first two days

18. #18 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevblah View Post
    surprised no one has posted youmustbenewhere.jpg
    Yeah, whatever, thanks for a very constructive, informative and friendly reply

Quote Originally Posted by kevblah View Post
    vanos and smg pump blew up mid-run, happens to all of the M5/M6 cars

and then it slid off the road
    Damn...the level of M5/M6 hate is of the charts on this forum...can't you just relax?! Yeah it happened to a few cars, so what, stop trolling and move on with your life, not like every single E6X M5/M6 has the same fate!

Personally, I have 9 months and nearly 10,000 trouble free miles on my car, and a warranty to save me IF something happens...

For everyone else:

Thanks for all the replies guys!

So, nice the majority of you went, and since there isn't much enthusiasm to go again, I guess I'll be better off doing with some people over at M5Board or M3Post...

On the other hand, Pete, if you're planning to organize a trip to Blue Ridge Pkwy, or any other great roads next year, count me IN

Thanks,
    Aldiyar
    Last edited by Kazakh015; 11-14-2013 at 03:32 PM.
    "The E60's V10 is like dating that hot girl who takes you for granted, makes you buy her stuff all the time, the sex is mind blowing and she screams too loud during the act, mother never approved of her, and she got too drunk at your wedding and made out with the best man"

Aldiyar (Boston, MA)

40XXX Miles
    Spacegrau Metallic

19. #19 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazakh015 View Post
    Yeah, whatever, thanks for a very constructive, informative and friendly reply

Damn...the level of M5/M6 hate is of the charts on this forum...can't you just relax?! Yeah it happened to a few cars, so what, stop trolling and move on with your life, not like every single E6X M5/M6 has the same fate!

Personally, I have 9 months and nearly 10,000 trouble free miles on my car, and a warranty to save me IF something happens...

For everyone else:

Thanks for all the replies guys!

So, nice the majority of you went, and since there isn't much enthusiasm to go again, I guess I'll be better off doing with some people over at M5Board or M3Post...

On the other hand, Pete, if you're planning to organize a trip to Blue Ridge Pkwy, or any other great roads next year, count me IN

Thanks,
    Aldiyar
    Don't worry about Kev, he is our forum douche and couldn't actually troll if his life depended on it

20. #20 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by BadJew View Post
    Don't worry about Kev, he is our forum douche and couldn't actually troll if his life depended on it
    Not worried at all, just a bit baffled

Aldiyar (Boston, MA)

40XXX Miles
    Spacegrau Metallic

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Thread Information