Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: I'm a newb...need your help (multi monitor setup)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Default I'm a newb...need your help (multi monitor setup) 
    So multi-tasking on a 14" laptop screen is pretty impossible- so I'm looking to add dual monitors, wireless keyboard and mouse to my laptop.

I have the keyboard and mouse, and will be buying monitors momentarily.

My laptop, Dell, has VGA out and HDMI out.

What else do I need? (Other than cables) Are there any other adapters or settings I need to change to make this multi screen thing work?

Thanks in advance for your reply

2. #2 Default  
    I would look to see if there is a docking station for your laptop that has dual monitor support first (dual DVI, VGA, or display ports), otherwise see if you can actually use your VGA and HDMI out at the same time to support dual monitors.

The buyer at work as dual monitors hooked to a docking station for her work laptop, but that is the first time I have seen that kind of configuration. Normally the laptop monitor is considered monitor 1, and your extra monitor is the second one.

What model dell is it?
    Matt

3. #3 Default  
    See if they have a docking station for your laptop.

I've run dual monitors off my laptop docking stations... Both Lenovo and HP.
    -Mike
    2006 Quarter Pounder Sport GT with cheese.

4. #4 Default  
    I'd be ok with laptop as 1 and other as 2...as long as I could have one spreadsheet on one and another on the laptop screen

It's a Dell Latitude E6230

5. #5 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris! View Post
    I'd be ok with laptop as 1 and other as 2...as long as I could have one spreadsheet on one and another on the laptop screen

It's a Dell Latitude E6230
    That is easy then, just buy a monitor and plug it in. You probably have to hit FN + a hot key (usually in the F12 section) and it will shift between laptop only, external only, or both at the same time.

Call dell to double check it will work with your model and get one of these port replicators, it has dual DVI outputs for dual monitor and a host of other ports. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...4&sku=430-3114
    Last edited by [cerberus]; 11-18-2013 at 07:54 PM.
    Matt

6. #6 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by [cerberus] View Post
    That is easy then, just buy a monitor and plug it in. You probably have to hit FN + a hot key (usually in the F12 section) and it will shift between laptop only, external only, or both at the same time.

Call dell and get one of these. It has dual DVI outputs for dual monitor and a host of other ports. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...4&sku=430-3114
    Awesome, thank you!

7. #7 Default  
    I edited my post, just make sure it will work with your specific model, they did not have a compatibility list. Then you can buy it on ebay or amazon for less I am sure.
    Matt

8. #8 Default  
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...4&sku=332-0446

Looks like it has all the ports that you'll need to do what you want to do. You might not need 2 full monitors if you can get by with 1 big one, but it depends on the kind of work you'll be doing. The only time I wished I had a bigger and/or 2nd monitor is when I was dealing with 2 or 3 sheets with huge numbers of columns at the same time, so if that's what you do, you'll be wanting 2.

9. #9 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Chances are you'll be able to use two monitors, as long as you shut down your laptop screen. Not such a big deal when you are hooking up a keyboard and mouse
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

10. #10 Default  
    Check with your laptop, but my laptop will only support 2 monitors at one time. BUT, those two monitors can be external monitors connected to the HDMI and VGA ports of the laptop. Now I have a big external monitor that I use as a second monitor with the laptop screen as monitor 1. Used mainly when I need to do 2 spreadsheets or a spreadsheet and a word document. Whichever screen is the 'paste' screen gets the big monitor, and the other goes on the little screen. In case you don't know, holding the control button and rolling the scroll wheel on the mouse zooms in/out in m$ office aps - handy for when there's a biog spreadsheet onthe little screen.

-Justin

White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)

11. #11 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by splatt View Post
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...4&sku=332-0446

Looks like it has all the ports that you'll need to do what you want to do. You might not need 2 full monitors if you can get by with 1 big one, but it depends on the kind of work you'll be doing. The only time I wished I had a bigger and/or 2nd monitor is when I was dealing with 2 or 3 sheets with huge numbers of columns at the same time, so if that's what you do, you'll be wanting 2.
    Yea. That's what I wanna do. I think Im going to get 2 of these:

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/det...d=abcat0509000

12. #12 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    Chances are you'll be able to use two monitors, as long as you shut down your laptop screen. Not such a big deal when you are hooking up a keyboard and mouse
    I will try this before buying the hub thingy. Save my company a couple bucks

13. #13 Default  
    It's def nicer to have two identical monitors rather than trying to use the laptop and then an additional screen, I find it much more comfortable on my eyes

14. #14 Default  
    I agree, but I've become used to this. I travel a lot for work and often use the TV as a second monitor through the HDMI port. Also, my home monitor is pretty big.

-Justin

White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)

15. #15 Default  
    I could use my TV...but I like to have the TV on while doing work

16. #16 Default I'm a newb...need your help (multi monitor setup) 
    Found them on Amazon a little cheaper. Will be in on Wednesday. Win.

Thanks for all of your input!

17. #17 Default  
    What OS does the laptop have? That may also change the ability of your multi monitor setup. I have a Dell Latitude E6500, and I run dual monitors, but I'm doing it through a docking station. I use my 15" laptop screen, and a 22" widescreen for my dual monitor support.
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    brass isn't good enough for those guys. Too heavy. They have burnt titanium because they are that awesome.

18. #18 Default  
    i use a docking station with dual DVI outs much easier. that way when you want to take the laptop it just a simple push of a button nothing to unplug. have one at home and work.
    Father of Phiff

19. #19 Default  
    Benvie. Dana's work gives her this ultraportable monitor that folds up to be the size of an iPad. And it doesn't require external power. It powers itself through two USB cables. If you're bringing this to different stores, this might be what you want. I'll look it up and give u the info.
    love to see your V... we have a bunch on the forum
    If referring to me, I have all the aids...

20. #20 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevblah View Post
    Benvie. Dana's work gives her this ultraportable monitor that folds up to be the size of an iPad. And it doesn't require external power. It powers itself through two USB cables. If you're bringing this to different stores, this might be what you want. I'll look it up and give u the info.
    Hey Kev-

I'm just using this at home, I always bring my laptop and cables and hook up to projectors or screens in conference rooms.

Thanks for looking out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information