Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Project 911

Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
  1. #41 Default  
    ^^ had crossed my mind. But its a far reach. Probably just leave the radio in the stock location.

I want those e28 but everyone has scared me away from them.
    Bath salts and dick pills

2. #42 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Safi and Matt at LD have done some pretty sick hideaway installs.
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

3. #43 Default  
    this ^

have only seen a couple of safis but ive seen a lot of matts, very impressive, cant go wrong with either

4. #44 Default  
    what are you trying to do to the tach?

5. #45 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    Safi and Matt at LD have done some pretty sick hideaway installs.
    i havent spoken to matt yet, texted safi and had a very brief conversation about it. either of them would work out well for me im sure. i know safi is also able to redo the interior parts i want wrapped in suede as well

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    what are you trying to do to the tach?
    i think just a different color. a mexico blue tach would be kinda cool. the singer cars all have different colors tachs i think its a cool look.

already talking to the guy about the e28s. just not sure its gonna work out. they are currently 18x9, he has 3inch lips he can sell me too . i think in order to make them fit my car i would need new barrels. im really not sure how it all works. makes my head hurt thinking about it. offeset needs to be around 50 at 18x10. his wheels are 18x9 and like a 30 et. so if i added the lips, it would still be a 30 et, but 10 wide... wouldnt fit. needs new barrels right? spacers wouldnt work because then the wheel would be another 20mm further out. or would that work? i dont know

6. #46 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jjm4life View Post
    i havent spoken to matt yet, texted safi and had a very brief conversation about it. either of them would work out well for me im sure. i know safi is also able to redo the interior parts i want wrapped in suede as well

i think just a different color. a mexico blue tach would be kinda cool. the singer cars all have different colors tachs i think its a cool look.

already talking to the guy about the e28s. just not sure its gonna work out. they are currently 18x9, he has 3inch lips he can sell me too . i think in order to make them fit my car i would need new barrels. im really not sure how it all works. makes my head hurt thinking about it. offeset needs to be around 50 at 18x10. his wheels are 18x9 and like a 30 et. so if i added the lips, it would still be a 30 et, but 10 wide... wouldnt fit. needs new barrels right? spacers wouldnt work because then the wheel would be another 20mm further out. or would that work? i dont know
    when you add a spacer it lowers the offset, adding a lip also offers the offset I think

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

7. #47 Default  
    ^^ yea that makes sense.. so 25mm or so is an inch. if i add an inch to the lip id have my 50ish offset.

heres what i dont get. if its a 30 now, they would fit, but just be really sunken looking right? just adding to the lip doesnt seem like it should work, but i guess the lip is more than just the edge? ive never built a set of wheels before. its it literally half of the barrel?

8. #48 Default  
    mexico blue anything is a win

9. #49 Default  
    Matts re wrapping my dash part for me, I'll let you know how it turns out. He does this type of thing all the time so I'm expecting good results

10. #50 Default  
    ^^ yea that makes sense.. so 25mm or so is an inch. if i add an inch to the lip id have my 50ish offset.

heres what i dont get. if its a 30 now, they would fit, but just be really sunken looking right? just adding to the lip doesnt seem like it should work, but i guess the lip is more than just the edge? ive never built a set of wheels before. its it literally half of the barrel?
    if you go from +50 to +30 you are going deeper with the dish and pushing the lips out of the wheel well more. think of it like this 0 offset is the face of the wheel dead center. + moves toward the outside of the car - moves the face inside. you should be more concerned with the wheel hitting the struts ect on the inside. thats where the big prob with fitments come in.
    1991 VW GTI 8V ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)
    2017 VW GLI ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)

11. #51 Default  

No, the opposite is true.
    Offset is how far the mounting surface is "off set" from the center line of the wheel. A mounting surface exactly halfway in the width of the wheel is et0. Set in towards the car is negative offset. Set out is positive offset.

When you add lip, you move the centerline of the wheel over half the width of the lip, and also lower the offset by half the width of the lip.

So for example take a 7" barrel with a 2" lip with a face that gives et30 in that configuration. The centerline is 4.5" from the edge of the barrel. The face is 30mm outwards from that point.

Add one inch to the lip, you now have a 3" lip and a 7" barrel. Your centerline is now 5". But you added one inch to the outside width of the wheel which pushes the face inwards more relative to the previous configuration. You would have a 10" wheel with an approx. 17mm offset.

12. #52 Default  
    ^this is why I just get Tom to tell me what wheels to buy.

13. #53 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    ^this is why I just get Tom to tell me what wheels to buy.
    i should do this

14. #54 Default  
    This is a (bad) scale drawing of my example above:

fullsize: http://i.imgur.com/ygy6pjs.jpg?1

shaded area is approximate width of the face.

15. #55 Default  
    Ok so my first thoughts were actually correct. These wheels need to be totally rebuilt, and aren't worth picking up.

16. #56 Default  
    Ok so my first thoughts were actually correct. These wheels need to be totally rebuilt, and aren't worth picking up.
    also werent Magnesium wheels determined to be a really bad street wheel idea?
    1991 VW GTI 8V ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)
    2017 VW GLI ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)

17. #57 Default  
    ^^ meh, seems to be the story

so i just got off the phone with bill. bottom end is back together, heads are out at the shop and the last of the parts should be in tomorrow. he says there is no reason i shouldnt have the car back on the 20th. man this guy is good.

spoke to both tom and jason at speedlife. car is coming along. still waiting on pics from jason, but it sounds like good progress has been made. he even found 2.00 and change so the car is already paying me back.
    ordered a new engine sound pad today.
    new header and exhaust setup shipped yesterday, and i shipped back the first system. little over two weeks from now i should have my car back. wow.

18. #58 Default  
    That's awesome progress.

When does the car have to go back to Bill?

19. #59 Default  
    Bill is one of a kind.

cant wait to finally see it, have been tempted to stop by and see it but figured I would wait

20. #60 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    That's awesome progress.

When does the car have to go back to Bill?
    Around the 17th
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    Bill is one of a kind.

cant wait to finally see it, have been tempted to stop by and see it but figured I would wait
    Stop by. I've been doing my best to not go there/call every day haha

Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Thread Information