Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: nest thermostat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Default nest thermostat 
    anyone have one? i suspect one of my thermostats at home is broken, hence why the heat is blasting in one of the rooms when the thermostat is set to off.

national grid customers get a $100 rebate towards the $250 purchase price, so i figure it'd be a good time to try one.

https://nest.com/thermostat/life-with-nest-thermostat/

Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    love to see your V... we have a bunch on the forum
    If referring to me, I have all the aids...

2. #2 Default  
    They're amazing, I know a few people with them. The company was founded by a few ex-apple guys and I've only heard awesome things about it.
    2012 TT-RS

3. #3 Default  
    was highly recommended to me by someone i know whos very techy

cant afford to outfit the whole house with them right now (5 zones), but buying one to replace the broken one would be nice

4. #4 Default  
    nice works with android as well? i only have 1 thermostat so get one for $150 and keep my house toasty.
    1991 VW GTI 8V ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)
    2017 VW GLI ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)

5. #5 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by DjStarscr3am View Post
    nice works with android as well? i only have 1 thermostat so get one for $150 and keep my house toasty.
    website says it works on all android devices

6. #6 Default  
    get the smoke detectors too they are pretty epic. my brother has nest everything.
    Father of Phiff

7. #7 Default  
    what if someone hacks your nest??

8. #8 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by streetxdreamer View Post
    inb4 you come home to a 100 degree house
    1991 VW GTI 8V ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)
    2017 VW GLI ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)

9. #9 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by streetxdreamer View Post
    ^^ I'd expect a bit of this once they get more popular.

I already have a programmable one. I've never needed to adjust the temp of the house when I'm not in it.

-Justin

White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)

10. #10 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin.b View Post
    ^^ I'd expect a bit of this once they get more popular.

I already have a programmable one. I've never needed to adjust the temp of the house when I'm not in it.

-Justin
    i mean honestly. if you can hack into my nest, you're already into my network...at which point you can cause a lot more damage than adjust the temperature of my rooms

11. #11 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevblah View Post
    i mean honestly. if you can hack into my nest, you're already into my network...at which point you can cause a lot more damage than adjust the temperature of my rooms
    I would think the worse thing would be turning down the temp and possibly freezing pipes. In any case, my place is pretty well insulated and my gas bill (heat, hot water, cooking) is about $50/month. Not sure how much lower I could get that. As it is we set the temp low and turn it up if it's cold (inverse in the summer with ac).

I believe it takes about 10 minutes to get into someone's wifi network with the right tools. Once in, there's not much you can really do except delete their pictures or find their tax returns if you're into that thing, but messing with their thermostat is one of those pranky things that I can imagine people doing - kind of like using a universal remote to mess with a neighbor's tv.

-Justin

White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)

12. #12 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin.b View Post
    I would think the worse thing would be turning down the temp and possibly freezing pipes. In any case, my place is pretty well insulated and my gas bill (heat, hot water, cooking) is about $50/month. Not sure how much lower I could get that. As it is we set the temp low and turn it up if it's cold (inverse in the summer with ac).

I believe it takes about 10 minutes to get into someone's wifi network with the right tools. Once in, there's not much you can really do except delete their pictures or find their tax returns if you're into that thing, but messing with their thermostat is one of those pranky things that I can imagine people doing - kind of like using a universal remote to mess with a neighbor's tv.

-Justin
    when i had an apartment, we didnt turn the heat on once the entire winter. the building was extremely well insulated and we were on the top floor (6th), so everyone elses heat rose up and made our apartment warm.

my gas bill at the new house was $390 last month, and that was before it was even cold.

13. #13 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevblah View Post
    when i had an apartment, we didnt turn the heat on once the entire winter. the building was extremely well insulated and we were on the top floor (6th), so everyone elses heat rose up and made our apartment warm.

my gas bill at the new house was $390 last month, and that was before it was even cold.
    We're on that level payment plan so it's $50/month every month. It's a town house so I only have 2 walls exposed to the outside. Saving a couple of percent won't make a noticeable difference to me, but if I had a $400 bill it would probably have me looking for anything that could offer a bit of relief.

Also, we put a couch and a tv in my office and that's where we spend most of our time. With all the electronics in there, the room stays about 10-15 degrees warmer than downstairs so we don't run the heat as often as we would if we spent more time downstairs.

When I was in an apartment the heat was included. We were on the top floor and used to have our windows open in the winter because the downstairs neighbors would crank the heat all day.

-Justin

14. #14 Default  
    yeah im hoping to slowly upgrade all the thermostats in the house to nest, and im sure i'll see some kind of savings in my gas heating bill

15. #15 Default  
    if your adjusting your thermostat a lot they can help, however you have to keep in mind that you will spend money having the heating or cooling adjust the temp up or down a couple of degrees. SO the moral of the story is: If your only gone for a couple of hours, you will probably spend more cash adjusting the temp to your desired at home setting vs just leaving it alone. after years of playing the up and down game I just keep mine at 72 all year round. my heating and cooling are largely the same. Keep in mind I work from home.
    I am not a 14 year old girl, but I play one on the internet.

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say 'I don't know what these dangly things are, but I am going to yank on them and drink whatever comes out.'

16. #16 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by mthaynes View Post
    if your adjusting your thermostat a lot they can help, however you have to keep in mind that you will spend money having the heating or cooling adjust the temp up or down a couple of degrees. SO the moral of the story is: If your only gone for a couple of hours, you will probably spend more cash adjusting the temp to your desired at home setting vs just leaving it alone. after years of playing the up and down game I just keep mine at 72 all year round. my heating and cooling are largely the same. Keep in mind I work from home.
    yeah im away most of the day, so i think i'll see some savings

17. #17 Default  
    I have the new one. It's pretty awesome. It pretty much learned my schedule and if I show up early, it detects the motion and puts heat/cools automatically.
    the rebate is bullshit. still waiting for mine since July.

18. #18 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafal View Post
    I have the new one. It's pretty awesome. It pretty much learned my schedule and if I show up early, it detects the motion and puts heat/cools automatically.
    the rebate is bullshit. still waiting for mine since July.
    if u go to the nest website, its an instant rebate so you just pay $150

19. #19 Default  
    have you used it yet? after sending them the barcode from the box, I waited two months and then they sent me a letter saying I didn't attach my gas provider acct number. I called them and an hour later they said it's all set and I should get rebate soon. 2 mos later still nothing.

20. #20 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafal View Post
    have you used it yet? after sending them the barcode from the box, I waited two months and then they sent me a letter saying I didn't attach my gas provider acct number. I called them and an hour later they said it's all set and I should get rebate soon. 2 mos later still nothing.
    i have not. but i will be able to in a few days. they couldnt pull my acct number from their database because it only updates every 3 months, and i just opened service 2 months ago.

they're manually adding my account and i'll be able to use the instant rebate in a few days

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information