Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: New Mac

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #41 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by splatt View Post
    This is your first problem. The Firepro D700 is equivalent to the highest end Firepro, the W9000. The W7000 is the lowest end of the current generation.

http://architosh.com/2013/10/the-mac...-have-answers/
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814195116
    ~$3400 each on newegg, less elsewhere. There's your 4k instantly.

Edit: There also isn't a single xeon motherboard on Newegg that supports 64g ram and has 2 PCIEx16 slots.
    Edit 2: I lied, found one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131971
    Edit 3: http://www.extremetech.com/computing...ent-windows-pc
    I didn't say I put much time into this. I just said I did it. I didn't promise my 5 minutes of searching would result in a perfect build.

Guess i'm wrong on the video cards.
    Futility Motorsport - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby (dead), Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, BMW 313rx
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    you are definitely one seriously dedicated, possibly certifiable individual
    Motorcycles - KZ400 Cafe Build, XS500 Build

2. #42 Default  
    Yeah it has serious hardware in it, but seems geared towards heavily specialized tasks. If your doing so much of such a task you need a $10,000 computer I would think you'd want it more modular so next year when they have better graphics cards for half the price you can buy one and easily swap it in.

3. #43 Default  
    Absolutely. I'd much prefer a machine that can be upgraded than dropping 10k every couple years.
    Futility Motorsport - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby (dead), Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, BMW 313rx

4. #44 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    Absolutely. I'd much prefer a machine that can be upgraded than dropping 10k every couple years.
    The software that the users would use is likely going to stay optimized for this machine for a while. You will probably get acceptable performance for a while sticking to the specific tasks the machine and software are aimed at.

-Justin

White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)

5. #45 Default  
    I'm just guessing but I would think if you for some reason need to pay $10k for a computer it's because you need better than "acceptable" performance. If your paying that much to be on the bleeding edge, it's probably because you need to be. Otherwise you might be an idiot.

6. #46 Default  
    Going through newegg last night gave me the itch to build a computer again. I absolutely don't need one, but I want to build one. Kinda of want to build a CAD comptuer with a decent Quadro card and then turn my existing desktop into my server.

too many projects...

7. #47 Default  
    I've been wanting to build a new beast rig for a long time. My current computer is still pretty solid even though it's almost 5 years old, but I have the itch. 90% of that itch is because I want to build my own watercooling setup, even though it's completely unnecessary and serves no purpose.

8. #48 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    I'm just guessing but I would think if you for some reason need to pay $10k for a computer it's because you need better than "acceptable" performance. If your paying that much to be on the bleeding edge, it's probably because you need to be. Otherwise you might be an idiot.
    If you need a Mac to run specific software, your top spec / best performance machine is whatever Apple offers.

-Justin

White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)

9. #49 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by splatt View Post
    I've been wanting to build a new beast rig for a long time. My current computer is still pretty solid even though it's almost 5 years old, but I have the itch. 90% of that itch is because I want to build my own watercooling setup, even though it's completely unnecessary and serves no purpose.
    My computer has seen above idle like once when I ran prime95 on it. Otherwise browsing dat internet on all four cores for maximum post whoring.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Thread Information