Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Home Office Ideas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Default Home Office Ideas 
    So, as some of you may already know, I bought a home a few months ago. I have a shitload of empty rooms and I'm finally ready to make one of them into an office for myself to use and relax in.

Wanted to see if anyone here could post some of their home offices so that I have some ideas to kick around. This is probably going to be a budget build with IKEA desks and such, but I'm going to really try to 'make it my own' and make the space comfortable.

This is the room that I'm working with, it was previously a nursery.

Things I want in the room:
    - decent sized computer desk
    - daybed/couch
    - ceiling lighting (probably track lights, since I don't want to deal with installing recessed lighting)

- possibly a coffee table in the middle of the room to give it a casual living room feeling?

i kinda like this layout

Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    love to see your V... we have a bunch on the forum
    If referring to me, I have all the aids...

2. #2 Default  
    Blog Entries
    I'll snap a pic when I get home... I built my own table desk from Ikea. I wanted something super simple and contemporary. It's probably a little less cluttered then whats there in that pic...
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

3. #3 Default  
    Is it an office or somewhere for your therapist to use

4. #4 Default  
    def paint the room, go with something neutral and light

5. #5 Default  
    I'll snap a pic when I get home... I built my own table desk from Ikea. I wanted something super simple and contemporary. It's probably a little less cluttered then whats there in that pic...
    ive been looking at the ikea galant series, looks like a cool looking modern desk for cheap money.

6. #6 Default  
    This was used as a storage room and then hastily made into an office when I started working from home. So it hasn't been re-painted and the windows have been replace so the trim's not painted either.

Desks / drawers / wife's chair from Ikea. On the back wall out of view there's a futon thing from WalMart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Delaney-Fu...olors/14071764

The table between the desks is spare... just didn't have a place to put it so it's kind of suspended right now.

Honestly, since I put the TV on the wall up here we spend more time in this room than the living room.

-Justin

White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)

7. #7 Default  
    converted mine to a bedroom. home is for home. work is for office.
    Father of Phiff

8. #8 Default  
    Deadbeat relatives... it's best not to have a spare bedroom ready to occupy. The futon can accommodate someone in a pinch, but you wouldn't want to live on it.

-Justin

White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)

9. #9 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin.b View Post
    Deadbeat relatives... it's best not to have a spare bedroom ready to occupy. The futon can accommodate someone in a pinch, but you wouldn't want to live on it.

-Justin
    thats an interesting way to go about that, but i guess i would do the same if i had deadbeat relatives

i think im gonna try and tackle the paint this week, i kinda want to go with a darkish color

anyone have any idea how long it should take to paint this room, start to finish? something i can do after work for a few hours?

thanks

10. #10 Default  
    Blog Entries
    I did mine in a light brown, with a dark brown accent wall
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

11. #11 Default  
    Probably a day. If it's an empty room, it may be easier to do it in chunks after work. Do the ceiling one evening, then coat 1 on the walls the next night, then coat 2 on the walls the next night, then the trim the next night. It's the drying time between steps that makes it take a little longer.

-Justin

12. #12 Default  
    Probably a day. If it's an empty room, it may be easier to do it in chunks after work. Do the ceiling one evening, then coat 1 on the walls the next night, then coat 2 on the walls the next night, then the trim the next night. It's the drying time between steps that makes it take a little longer.

-Justin
    ceiling? wut.

13. #13 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevblah View Post
    thats an interesting way to go about that, but i guess i would do the same if i had deadbeat relatives

i think im gonna try and tackle the paint this week, i kinda want to go with a darkish color

anyone have any idea how long it should take to paint this room, start to finish? something i can do after work for a few hours?

thanks
    if you want to go with a dark color keep in mind it makes the room feel smaller, and maybe more importantly you have to do a perfect job of cutting in around the trim, ceiling and base board as it will be blatantly obvious if the lines arent perfect

if you want to do it properly allow the whole weekend, paint ceiling first, 2 coats of flat white ceiling paint, then paint window trim, doors and door trim and baseboard, then cut in around with wall color then roll wall color, those magic green tapes generally dont work that well for cutting in purposes, try the red pad thing with rollers (can buy it at home depot or any good paint store), once you get the hang of them they work very well, nothing is a good as a good bruish in the hands of someone who can cut in well.

buy good paint, benjamin moore is the one to use, buy good brushes, purdy are pretty good and not crazy expensive, purdy rollers are also good

14. #14 Default  
    Make sure you do your prep properly. Shitty taping will make it an ugly nightmare.

15. #15 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Its gonna take you a day. Tape everything up you don't want to paint, put some tarps on the ground, and remove all the faceplates and things. Start painting in one spot, and continue to move around the room. Take a short break when you reach the place you started, and when you start again, you should be able to put the second coat on

16. #16 Default  

-Justin
    trim should always be done before walls, its much much easier

17. #17 Default  
    Feel free to skip the ceiling. I do recommend something like this for the edges: http://www.lowes.com/pd_90212-1077-1...ine&facetInfo= I can't ever get a clean line with tape and it takes so long to tape things off. I can get a better result with a brush and no tape than I can with tape, and I usually get an even better result with one of these vs. a freehand brush.

-Justin

18. #18 Default  
    why does everyone keep saying i have to paint the ceiling? is there something that im missing? i must be new here.

19. #19 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    trim should always be done before walls, its much much easier
    I'm replacing the baseboards in my hallway, so it's easier to pull off the old ones to paint he walls and then paint the replacement base boards before install.

-Justin

20. #20 Default  
    Feel free to skip the ceiling. I do recommend something like this for the edges: http://www.lowes.com/pd_90212-1077-1...ine&facetInfo= I can't ever get a clean line with tape and it takes so long to tape things off. I can get a better result with a brush and no tape than I can with tape, and I usually get an even better result with one of these vs. a freehand brush.

-Justin
    thats what i use, its pretty quick once you get the hang of it, just dont put too much paint on it

def paint the ceiling though, it takes an hour if that, unless its spotless and brand new looking

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Thread Information