Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Wireless security IP cameras

1. #1 Default Wireless security IP cameras 
    Blog Entries
    Have any of you used these before? Looking to get a few set up at my house... want to track people entering the property.

Yes this is related to the Dog shit incident...

Right now I am looking at some units from DLink that are about $100 a camera and come with software for upto 32 cameras
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

2. #2 Default  
    $100/camera? really?

It can be done much cheaper than that. Hell, i've played with just a webcam and a raspberry pi running a program called motion. Turns on when it senses motion in the frame and grabs pictures or short video clips.
    Futility Motorsport - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby (dead), Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, BMW 313rx
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    you are definitely one seriously dedicated, possibly certifiable individual
    Motorcycles - KZ400 Cafe Build, XS500 Build

3. #3 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    $100/camera? really?

It can be done much cheaper than that. Hell, i've played with just a webcam and a raspberry pi running a program called motion. Turns on when it senses motion in the frame and grabs pictures or short video clips.
    well that's why I created this thread
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

4. #4 Default  
    I have ADT cameras / dvr and viewing from multiple locations. its integrated with my alarm. that said its expense, but if you have security system you may wan to check to see what they have and what integration points are available.

there are some laws that you should be aware of. technically you can only video your property or public roads. you should not be viewing your neighbors property. this may constrain where you can put cameras

hope this helps
    I am not a 14 year old girl, but I play one on the internet.

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say 'I don't know what these dangly things are, but I am going to yank on them and drink whatever comes out.'

5. #5 Default  
    the problem with wireless IP cameras is that they aren't truly wireless... They still need a power source. Which means you still need to run wiring unless you are putting them somewhere near an outlet.

We use zModo DVR systems at both the house & the barber shop. 4 cameras, 500 gb hard drive, remote access, whole shebang is roughly $150. The barber shop one actually has 8 cameras, but I haven't installed the rest yet.

Installation is more of a pain, but it really can't be beat for the price, and you can upgrade the cameras for really cheap. I'll actually be upgrading the cameras to ones that my friend uses from eBay, that have wide angle & night vision for $25 a camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    brass isn't good enough for those guys. Too heavy. They have burnt titanium because they are that awesome.

6. #6 Default  
    I bought a DVR and 4 camera setup from Microcenter a few years ago after my wheels got stolen. I think it's a 500gb dvr. Cameras have night vision with installed ir LEDs. Cameras aren't the greatest that came with it and I've replaced a couple of them with cameras that have a wider viewing area. I can monitor the DVR live from any computer and can get remote access over the internet if I turn it on (have used it this before, have it turned off now). Lately I use it mainly to see if someone's at the door without having to go to the window/door.

-Justin

White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)

7. #7 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nperkins View Post
    the problem with wireless IP cameras is that they aren't truly wireless... They still need a power source. Which means you still need to run wiring unless you are putting them somewhere near an outlet.

We use zModo DVR systems at both the house & the barber shop. 4 cameras, 500 gb hard drive, remote access, whole shebang is roughly $150. The barber shop one actually has 8 cameras, but I haven't installed the rest yet.

Installation is more of a pain, but it really can't be beat for the price, and you can upgrade the cameras for really cheap. I'll actually be upgrading the cameras to ones that my friend uses from eBay, that have wide angle & night vision for $25 a camera.
    hmm I think most of the locations for them would go near power locations

8. #8 Default  
    I tried a couple of the cheap ones that rotate they are OK for checking things out from work, but are useless for recording and the night vision does not work facing out a window. Still not bad for $100 and pretty easy to set up.

9. #9 Default  
    Blog Entries
    would they read a license plate?

10. #10 Default  
    Enhance. Enhance. Enhance

11. #11 Default  
    It should get a plate if its close enough the tractor is 4-5 previas away and the stop sign is about 125+ feet and this is looking through a screen it is also probably wet from the rain.

12. #12 Default  
    lmao @ using a Previa as a unit of measurement
    Just the right amount of way too much.

Don't make me assume my ultimate form.

13. #13 Default  
    Mine runs across the road, so if there's a license plate in-frame, the car's just about to back into the garage. I'll go run outside with a plate and then see if I can read it.

-Justin

White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)

14. #14 Default  
    more practical than knots on a rope i'd say.

harbor freight sells some 4 camera set ups for pretty cheap. haven't used them.. and they aren't wireless, but as already pointed out you still have a cord for power anyway. there are reviews of them and they don't seem terrible. i was considering a 2 camera set up awhile ago.. just too lazy to install.

15. #15 Default  
    I finally installed a peephole camera in the front door a couple of months ago... still haven't wired it and hooked it up.

-Justin

16. #16 Default  
    that's swell, I was really getting used to my secret hot tub parties at your indoor pool house

I swear I had nothing to do with the dog shit

Thread Information