Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Wireless Routers

1. #1 Default Wireless Routers 
    Computer hardware, and especially network stuff, is something I've never really taken the time to look in to. I'm curious if I could expect better wireless network performance from upgrading my router, which is the modem/router combo I got from Verizon when they set up my Fios.
    I typically have a number of devices on the network at any given time, my maximum "consumption" would be four phones, an ipad, two laptops, a chromecast and a PS4 all working simultaneously, although if I'm turning the PS4 on I'll usually turn my laptop and phone off the network.

Would I see any benefit in performance from an upgrade? I don't really have any connection issues currently but always looking to see if I can go faster.

2. #2 Default  
    I saw a huge improvement when I switched from a crappy old router to a new Asus last summer. I have no idea how good the fios router is though, so I can't tell you more than that.

3. #3 Default  
    I am pretty sure although not certain that it is this: https://www.actiontec.com/214.html

4. #4 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppa822 View Post
    Computer hardware, and especially network stuff, is something I've never really taken the time to look in to. I'm curious if I could expect better wireless network performance from upgrading my router, which is the modem/router combo I got from Verizon when they set up my Fios.
    I typically have a number of devices on the network at any given time, my maximum "consumption" would be four phones, an ipad, two laptops, a chromecast and a PS4 all working simultaneously, although if I'm turning the PS4 on I'll usually turn my laptop and phone off the network.

Would I see any benefit in performance from an upgrade? I don't really have any connection issues currently but always looking to see if I can go faster.
    You may see a little gain, but the limiting factor is your internet connection itself. If you're asking for more data at the same time than you have bandwidth, there's nothing the router can do other than prioritize things with QoS rules.

If everything is on wireless, you may get a bump by running some things off a 5Ghz accesspoint, and some off the 2.4GHz.

Now, if you're seeing lag when just trying to make devices talk to each other (streaming from a laptop to the ps3 for example), a new router might help. I don't think the one from verizon is too terrible though.
    Futility Motorsport - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby (dead), Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, BMW 313rx
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    you are definitely one seriously dedicated, possibly certifiable individual
    Motorcycles - KZ400 Cafe Build, XS500 Build

5. #5 Default  
    it will only help depending on what wireless card you have in your laptop and whatever is in the PS4. the actiontec only goes up to 130 Mbps, which is decent for most devices. standard wireless n cards nowadays should be able to handle 300 Mbps+, and there are routers out there that can provide 600+ Mbps. with that, you'll be able to have speeds nearly as fast as a wired connection.

edit: meh i'm stuck in last years technology. guess 802.11ac is the new thing now with capabilities up to 1300 Mbps. but again it really will depend on the hardware you have or may have int he future.
    Last edited by Contra; 02-27-2014 at 12:36 PM.

6. #6 Default  
    I agree, if you are having issues with signal strength you can get upgraded antennas that can boost the signal (or focus it if the router is in one corner or one side) and provide the best chance of hitting the max data transfer, but like Chris said if you are maxing out your bandwidth it is kind of moot.

Something like streaming netflix, or watching HD youtube on multiple machines at the same time can really eat up your bandwidth.
    Matt

7. #7 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppa822 View Post

if you are talking about internet speeds then your pretty much limited to whatever bandwidth Verizon is providing you. So upgrading the router wont do much.

If you are talking about your local network then depending on how old you modem/router is you might benefit from newer specs

8. #8 Default  
    Also depends on how many connections you have active. One device running a torrent can cripple the entire network on an old router, I know from experience.

9. #9 Default  
    Another thing I learned yesterday, is that channel ID can help a lot. I'm fixing some WiFi issues at a friend's house, and found 6 other networks in the area all trying to hit on the same channel...
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    brass isn't good enough for those guys. Too heavy. They have burnt titanium because they are that awesome.

10. #10 Default  
    Yea, all routers default to channel 6. There are free WiFi analyser apps for phones to let you see what channels are crowded and which aren't. I have to change mine a lot because I swear my downstairs neighbor purposely puts his on whatever channel I'm using.
    Futility Motorsport - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby (dead), Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, BMW 313rx
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    you are definitely one seriously dedicated, possibly certifiable individual
    Motorcycles - KZ400 Cafe Build, XS500 Build

11. #11 Default  
    I should probably take a look at new routers. Didn't realize how much data I've been moving through it. I know that increasing bandwidth (esp. torrents) pretty much melted my last router.

-Justin

White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)

12. #12 Default  
    Netgear, Asus, Cisco are some the best you can get with routers. One thing I have been installing a lot lately are Engenius AP, they are AWESOME. They really do pump out 1KM strength and have a multitude of controls and performance shaping. Just a note.
    CLS500 |AMG Package | Premium Package | Lighting Package | Entertainment Package | iPod Kit | Keyless Go | Parktronic | Distronic | Hands Free Communication | Bluetooth | Trunk Closer | Voice Command

R500 | Premium Package | Lighting Package | Entertainment Package | Parktronic | Hands Free Communication | Bluetooth | Chrome Package | On 20's

E320 | On Chrome 16's

13. #13 Default  
    Look into DD-WRT for your router as well... I went over to my friend's last night, and with the DD-WRT router in his basement, he's getting better signal in his garage from that than from his old router which is in his upstairs, and 20 feet closer to the garage...
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    brass isn't good enough for those guys. Too heavy. They have burnt titanium because they are that awesome.

Thread Information