Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Project Z 2.0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Default Project Z 2.0 
    So as most (many?) know, my much loved350z went out in a blaze of glory just before Thanksgiving 2013. I purchased the car new off the lot 1 week after starting my first job after college, and over the years turned it into exactly what I wanted. A car that I could drive every day and beat the snot out of without fear of it breaking.

So with every loss there has to be a gain, and with this loss along with some arm twisting I started the hunt for a black z06 Vette. After a few missed deals and opening up my search range I found what was to be my new car in Triangle Virginia.

I called on a Saturday morning just looking to get some information about the car and talk it over. When I hung up a deposit was paid, and I had a buyers order to sign and fax back, and a PPI to schedule.

Fast forward two weeks and the hauler from Intercity arrived with my new to me Z06.

This little taste of spring today has really increased the itch to get out and drive it.
    Matt

2. #2 Default  
    I have already got a few things to put in. Some upgraded LED lights, a skip shift eliminator and a car cover.

First real mod will be upgrading to the 2008+ PEM FOBs. The 2007 and earlier models required a separate key to open the trunk in case there is a power failure and you can not get in through the doors. This to me is klunky and annoying to have to carry around. The 2008 units are a bit slimmer, but more importantly contain their own emergency trunk key. GM for some reason made the keys narrower on the new models. Most people who want it bad enough will change out the lock on the trunk with a new one to match the key, but I plan on getting some cheap blank 2007 keys cut and then machine the base to fit into the hide-a-key system.

Matt

3. #3 Default  
    Can't wait to see it, and what it becomes once you've done everything you want to it.

4. #4 Default  
    Nice! Definitely subscribed based on what you've done with the Z. Looking forward to the progress on this one!
    1999 C43 AMG: E55 18' Monos, K&N filters, H&R Sport springs, Bilstein Sport schocks, Full LED interior, LED License plate, 8k HIDs head/fog lights, 10mm spacers, resonator + 2 sec. cats deleted, AMG license plate cover, AMG flat hood badge, matte black front grill, AMG pedals, 35% tint, yellow calipers, CF door pins, SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads.

5. #5 Default  
    Needs a stoopid lumpy cam. Solely because badass idle.
    Bath salts and dick pills

6. #6 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Love these things. Agree with Mat, needs lumpy idle
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

7. #7 Default  
    Have fun with that. You should get the front fangs for the bumper and my rear diffuser spoiler.

Also, cam is a bitch to install on a c6. It was a cake on a GTO because so much space.

Are you keeping stock exhaust?

8. #8 Default  
    I have formulated a decent Idea of what I want it to look like when I am done. It will probably be a lot more interior work on this car, there are a bunch of good aftermarket upgrades for the stock interior parts.

I don't think I will be doing much to the motor soon, but cams with head work to fix some common issues paired with long tube headers would probably be where I would go.

I need to see what it sounds like, and decide how loud I really want the exhaust.
    Matt

9. #9 Default  
    First big change, dumped the factory Nav/ head unit and bose system for a aftermarket system.

Kenwood DNX891 Garmin Navigation head unit Ipod control, and Bluetooth headset & Pandora.

Illusion carbon C8 components
    Focal P25DB 10" sub in a custom fiberglass box.
    JL 500/5 amp (reused from my 350z)

I also had a back up camera installed to help seeing curbs when I back into spots.

To say the least the sound is so much better than the Bose OEMs, not to mention Ipod control and Pandora whenever I want it. The nav is also 100x better than the factory set up.

Super light weight sound deadening in the doors.

Crossovers mounted on a bracket to use the OEM amp mounting location.

Matt

10. #10 Default  
    First summer is in the books, and the vette is up for the winter. Just in time for the mod season to start.

After getting the car and seeing some stuff posted on the forums, I have been worried all summer about a valve breaking due to excessive wear. Now is the time to fix that dilemma, and do some other upgrades while I am in there.

Parts should be arriving in a week or so

JBA Long tube headers
    JBA catless crossover pipe.
    Fast 102mm Intake manifold
    Nick Williams 102mm Throttle body
    Haltech 102mm intake

I have pretty much decided on the katech Torquer 110 cam, still deciding on what the new heads valves and rockers are going to be. I am thinking about going nuts with new trick flow ported heads, Katech Ti valves, springs & retainers and shaft mount rockers.

This is a good idea of what it will sound like when I am done.

Matt

11. #11 Default  
    Blog Entries
    damn that sounds fantastic
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

12. #12 Default  
    So parts have arrived from the first batch of ordering.

Matt

13. #13 Default  

Finally dropped the car off to have everything put together today, I am delayed by a good 2 weeks because of the heads arriving late due to parts sourcing issues.

Brodix BR7 heads built by West Coast Cylinder Heads will be going on, with a Cam Motion custom grind cam.

Matt

14. #14 Default  
    Hell yeah! You left exhaust stock, right? What's the size of the cam?

Is Alex doing a dyno once it's installed? Lmk when, I want to see. I'll prob dyno my lsx too.

15. #15 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafal View Post
    Hell yeah! You left exhaust stock, right? What's the size of the cam?

Is Alex doing a dyno once it's installed? Lmk when, I want to see. I'll prob dyno my lsx too.
    Mufflers are stock for now, I want to see how loud it will be with long tubes and no cats before I swap it out. Cam is .612/.603 226/241 116+4 So not a monster but should work really good and from some testing had some excellent lobe design for a smoother valve train. Probably not what would get if I was going road racing all day, but it should do well for what I want.

Depends on how the work goes, he leaves to go fly Friday. If something shows up late it will be another week.
    Matt

16. #16 Default  
    Similar to my first GTO: 231/240 617' 611'. Perfect size in my opinion.

17. #17 Default  
    From earlier today via Ballistic Motorsports (now a part of Granite State Dyno) Facebook page.

Matt

18. #18 Default  
    Missing some parts

19. #19 Default  
    Time for wheels. Got it narrowed down to 2 I think.

Matt

20. #20 Default  
    The ones on the black car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information