Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Our Dream House

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Default Our Dream House 
    Well, as many of you already know, my wife and I recently sold our home in Milford in preparation for building our dream home in Norfolk, MA. The house in Milford was a huge step up for us from the townhouse we previously owned and it was a great property that holds many special memories for us. However, after the birth of our daughter, we wanted to find a town and neighborhood that we could see ourselves in for many many years to come. A town with great schools, easy access to the commuter rail and highways for work and closer to family on the south shore and the Cape. Little did we know, we would find all of that and more much sooner than we anticipated.

Now, as of the beginning of 2014, we had no intentions of putting our house on the market until late in 2014 and even early 2015. We had been keeping our eyes open for houses in neighborhoods that we liked. Our list of towns included Mansfield, Wrentham, Norfolk, Foxborough and Franklin, among others. After doing some searches online one weekend, we came across a brand new development being constructed by Pulte homes that straddled the Wrentham/Norfolk line. We went to check it out on a Sunday morning, oblivious to the chain of events we were about to set off.

When we drove into the Fox Run development in Wrentham, we instantly fell in love. It was a beautiful neighborhood comprised of gorgeous newly constructed homes. We spent the morning talking to the sales people about available lots, pricing and estimated completion dates. Less than two weeks later, we had already reserved the perfect lot. Since all of the Wrentham lots were sold out, we picked out a beautiful lot on the Norfolk side that fit our budget and preferences perfectly.

The next 8 weeks were a whirlwind. See, when you sign a Purchase & Sale agreement to build a house with Pulte homes, they require that you put your current home on the market immediately so as to lessen the chance that your current house won't be sold by the time your new home is ready. So, from mid-January to mid-March, we put our house on the market, hosted open houses and numerous interested buyers, accepted an offer, passed inspections and closed on our Milford home. During this time, we also designed our new home by picking out exterior colors, interior features and upgrade packages, granite, flooring, lighting packages and more. In early March, we found an apartment in Mansfield to live in temporarily for 6 months during the construction period, moved in and placed the remainder of our belongings in storage. And oh yeah, we also squeezed in a trip to Florida to see my parents for a week in February! Our heads are still spinning!

Anyway, I promised myself I would keep a journal of this crazy process because the opportunity to build a home maybe comes around once in a lifetime and I wanted to make sure to chronicle the process so we could look back on it for years to come. The house is scheduled to be done in the July/August timeframe. We can't wait! Below are some photos of our new street, our lot and the houses that have already been built near us.

This is the first house you see as you enter our street. It's a gorgeous home built to Pulte's "Wellington" design. It's the perfect home to welcome you to the neighborhood.

IMG_4387 by Eggs3105, on Flickr

This is a shot from the bottom of our street. You can see my car parked to the right, directly across the street from our lot.

IMG_4388 by Eggs3105, on Flickr

Here I am standing in our lot with my daughter

IMG_4386 by Eggs3105, on Flickr

Here is a view from our lot out to the street

IMG_4384 by Eggs3105, on Flickr

IMG_4383 by Eggs3105, on Flickr

And here is a shot of our neighbor right next door

IMG_4380 by Eggs3105, on Flickr
    Last edited by MassAudi; 03-16-2014 at 03:29 PM.

2. #2 Default  
    Pics of hole in the ground or ban!

3. #3 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by splatt View Post
    Pics of hole in the ground or ban!
    Haha, they don't break ground for another week or so. Where I'm standing is where the foundation will be

4. #4 Default  
    GREAT looking homes!

Whats the estimated completion date for you? sept?

5. #5 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris! View Post
    GREAT looking homes!

Whats the estimated completion date for you? sept?
    Thanks! They estimate completion in July or August. Our pre-dry wall walk through will be in mid-May and they will be able to provide a definitive date then.

6. #6 Default  
    I just spent a few minutes looking through the Pulte website, looks like it's gonna be a great place. Did you opt for the 3car garage?

7. #7 Default  
    Holy! Congrats Adam! Thats gotta be one thing u can cross off on the bucket list!
    '00 GS300
    '08 IS250
    '05 IS300
    '73 240Z
    Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Philsans5
    Wes get your hands out of there!
    Quote Originally Posted by streetxdreamer View Post
    spotted LFA in toilet, promptly flushed it
    Quote Originally Posted by MassBimmer View Post
    Hennessey

8. #8 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by splatt View Post
    I just spent a few minutes looking through the Pulte website, looks like it's gonna be a great place. Did you opt for the 3car garage?
    Thanks man. We fell in love with the Brampton design, which will look like the house below only without the stone front. We did not opt for the 3 car garage. It was an extra $15k and just wasn't necessary

Brampton by Eggs3105, on Flickr

9. #9 Default  
    Congrats!!

10. #10 Default  
    Wow -- thats a beautiful design you chose. I like the diversity in the houses too unlike some other new developments where options are limited. What color did you go with?

11. #11 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by the.wong.kid View Post
    Holy! Congrats Adam! Thats gotta be one thing u can cross off on the bucket list!
    Quote Originally Posted by streetxdreamer View Post
    Congrats!!
    Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Mugen View Post
    Wow -- thats a beautiful design you chose. I like the diversity in the houses too unlike some other new developments where options are limited. What color did you go with?
    I agree, they have 4 different style homes in this community and the way they plan the neighborhood, they don't allow two of the same style and same color homes near each other so it differentiates the houses nicely. We chose the same color that's in the picture but without the stone. Our door will be the same color as the picture but our shutters will be more of a merlot color.

12. #12 Default  
    Looks like a great neighborhood! Congrats on the new house, i've heard custom building is stressful but the reward is greater.
    Twitter: @mkeefe / My Company: PixelBit

13. #13 Default  
    Thanks! They estimate completion in July or August. Our pre-dry wall walk through will be in mid-May and they will be able to provide a definitive date then.
    NICE! Im still going back and forth with my builder. Im jealous

14. #14 Default  
    that looks like a very nice neighborhood. Good Luck!

We have pick out our builder but now need to sell the current house and buy a lot

15. #15 Default  
    Congrats! Jealous and excited for you

16. #16 Default  
    Looks like a great lot. Congrats on the build. Post tons of pics
    Bath salts and dick pills

17. #17 Default  
    We did not opt for the 3 car garage. It was an extra $15k and just wasn't necessary
    what do you mean it wasn't necessary
    Oh Yeah!

18. #18 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cheu_f50 View Post
    what do you mean it wasn't necessary
    $15k pays for a lot of nice upgrades that we wanted. Had to draw the line somewhere

19. #19 Default  
    So, a bit of an update on the progress of our house, or lack thereof. The town of Norfolk has built a new water booster station and has refused to issue any new construction permits until the booster station has been inspected and approved. Unfortunately for us, that has meant a 2 month delay in the building of our house with our closing date now estimated to be October 14th. I know that delays like this are common with new construction but the lack of communication throughout the process has been incredibly frustrating. Since we were forced by Pulte to sell our home as fast as possible and are now paying rent and storage monthly, any delay will mean higher costs for us for various reasons. As a result, we're hoping to receive some sort of upgrade credit to help compensate for the inconvenience. We'll see what happens. We've been told that all signs point to us having a foundation by the end of May - I'll believe it when I see it I guess. It's been a frustrating couple of months but we know it'll all be worth it in the end!

20. #20 Default  
    Blog Entries
    So, a bit of an update on the progress of our house, or lack thereof. The town of Norfolk has built a new water booster station and has refused to issue any new construction permits until the booster station has been inspected and approved. Unfortunately for us, that has meant a 2 month delay in the building of our house with our closing date now estimated to be October 14th. I know that delays like this are common with new construction but the lack of communication throughout the process has been incredibly frustrating. Since we were forced by Pulte to sell our home as fast as possible and are now paying rent and storage monthly, any delay will mean higher costs for us for various reasons. As a result, we're hoping to receive some sort of upgrade credit to help compensate for the inconvenience. We'll see what happens. We've been told that all signs point to us having a foundation by the end of May - I'll believe it when I see it I guess. It's been a frustrating couple of months but we know it'll all be worth it in the end!
    was anything in the sales agreement that protects you or offers you any security? They force you to sell, you incur all these costs, and they just drag their feet holding on to your deposit?
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Thread Information