Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Modding my S65

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Default Modding my S65 
    I don't post a ton on here, but I have met a bunch of you at various events and thought I'd start a thread about my S65's recent enhancements. Full disclosure, I did start a similar thread on MB world...but this is for the guys I'll actually see this year and who don't go to that "other" site.

A little backstory... The car is a 2006 mercedes S65, old body. For a while there was a pic of it on the dragstrip on this site from a YR event that Pete took. I use the car as my daily, and after buying it in 09 with 9k miles on it, I have driven it about 53k, bringing the total on the chassis to around 62k. I say "chassis" because after spending a cumulative many months of shop downtime as CPO work was performed, it culminated in a total engine replacement at 38k miles due to a pervasive CEL that related to excessive scoring on the number 6 cylinder wall. The CPO was the best investment I've ever made, this car has had well over 100k in claims!

Since the motor replacement, the car has been running fantastically. The car has a stage 1 Renntech tune making a claimed 672hp and 840 ft/lbs...I have no reason to doubt their claims as I have posted a PB of an 11.56 at 120mph on street tires last year.

Anyway, my CPO expires in April 14, so I had to decide if it was time to flip out of the car or to go "all in". After running the numbers, there is nothing I can find for similar money that will give me a similar blend of utility (family hauler, long distance champ, drag car, and legroom for my 6'7" self) for anything close to the same money. The motor only has 24k miles on it,me Trans has about 1k. Time to go for it!

Car loaded onto a hauler for a trip out to Speedriven in Chicago. I wanted to see what the M275 platform could achieve with fairly simple bolt-ons. On the menu:
    Larger Top Mount intercoolers with 40 percent more flow rate
    New high flow IC pump
    Scorpion Air intakes
    Downpipes
    Billet Turbos
    Trans built to handle 1100 ft/lbs of torque (overkill, but don't want to bust it)
    Re-valves throttle body for Trans for firmer shifts
    Quaife LSD to fix the "one wheeled wonder" launches
    Windshield washer adapted low volume Meth kit for a bit of added cooling
    And finally, a custom ECU/TCU tune with flash programmer with a "valet" tune to bring the car down to 8lbs of boost on those terrifying occasions when you have to leave the car with a valet(and an NYC valet at that)

When it is done, I am looking for about 700hp at the wheels, and more importantly a sub 11 second run at NED so I can get a)kicked off the track and b)get the license plate RUNS10S which I think would be funny on a 5k pound sedan!

Sorry for the long post, thanks for looking...this is just my long excuse for not making it to Yummies this year- but look forward to seeing you at an upcoming YR event!

Zach

2. #2 Default  
    Holy Crap. 100K in warranty work? A guy on fchat claims he spent 25K on his suspension in warranty alone.

And yes, a 10 second 5K sedan is going to be awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    You.... have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    you have issues.

3. #3 Default  
    Impressive.

Let me know if you want to buy my car for spare parts for yours.
    Samuel C. Lurie - Owner/President
    The Beantown Sound - Professional Disc Jockey Services
    -----------------------------
    2012 Mercedes S65-AMG
    2011 Ford E350 Quigley 4x4
    2002 Porsche 996TT

4. #4 Default  
    Awesome car and great mods planned ahead. Can't wait to hear more about this! Also, feel free to share some pics if you have some lying around...
    1999 C43 AMG: E55 18' Monos, K&N filters, H&R Sport springs, Bilstein Sport schocks, Full LED interior, LED License plate, 8k HIDs head/fog lights, 10mm spacers, resonator + 2 sec. cats deleted, AMG license plate cover, AMG flat hood badge, matte black front grill, AMG pedals, 35% tint, yellow calipers, CF door pins, SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads.

5. #5 Default  
    This sounds epic! Hope to see it!

6. #6 Default  
    From my other thread:
    image.jpgimage.jpg

7. #7 Default  
    Blog Entries
    OMG this is awesome
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

8. #8 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    OMG this is awesome
    Your build has been working out great as well...I'm trying to find some aftermarket rims that will fit my stoooopid offsets, yours look tight!

9. #9 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zax65 View Post
    Your build has been working out great as well...I'm trying to find some aftermarket rims that will fit my stoooopid offsets, yours look tight!
    reach out to Tom @ Speedlife Motorsports. He is a wheel guru, and will get you set up with something that will accent your end goal
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

10. #10 Default  
    ^ That's me, I'm more active on this username. I'd be happy to help you find some wheels for your project. Met you once a couple years ago up at NED when I was running my Thunderbird.

11. #11 Default  
    Very cool project. Love the idea of such a huge car in the 10s
    Bath salts and dick pills

12. #12 Default  
    So much win. Are you located on the seacoastt by chance?

13. #13 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboRush View Post
    So much win. Are you located on the seacoastt by chance?
    Yes, how about yourself?

14. #14 Default  
    Yes, how about yourself?
    Yep, in Portsmouth. I thought the car looked familiar, I've seen you cruising around a couple of times - don't see too many out there.

15. #15 Default  
    image.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboRush View Post
    Yep, in Portsmouth. I thought the car looked familiar, I've seen you cruising around a couple of times - don't see too many out there.
    In portsmouth too...it's my daily driver, but not for the past few weeks. Driving around in a lifted M1009 which gets a little old...especially on the highway.
    Last edited by Zax65; 03-28-2014 at 06:09 AM.

16. #16 Default  
    image.jpg

In portsmouth too...it's my daily driver, but not for the past few weeks. Driving around in a lifted M1009 which gets a little old...especially on the highway.
    Nice truck, have not seen that around but know I'd notice it if it came rumbling through downtown!

17. #17 Default  
    image.jpg

congrats, you win the YR least subtle daily driver award

18. #18 Default  
    Blog Entries
    cmon, its satin, its stealthy

19. #19 Default  
    What I meant was the Benz is my daily driver. This is my "go offroading, go to dump, go to walmart, go out in 6" plus of snow" truck. Since my Benz has been gone for almost a month this has become my daily driver, and not a very good one at that...

20. #20 Default  
    Blog Entries
    What I meant was the Benz is my daily driver. This is my "go offroading, go to dump, go to walmart, go out in 6" plus of snow" truck. Since my Benz has been gone for almost a month this has become my daily driver, and not a very good one at that...
    oh I gotcha... this is the dump the dead hooker truck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Thread Information