Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Legalities of recording a LEO during a traffic stop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Default Legalities of recording a LEO during a traffic stop 
    fun trip. i took my camera but because we stayed in the front, i didnt get to take many pictures:

Also, enjoy this:

2. #2 Default  
    omg video is epic.

Join me at Peter Iannaco Photography on Facebook!

3. #3 Default  
    Well played Chris lol, so because you are disagreeing with him it equates to giving him attitude, sigh, just give the polite warning and go away

4. #4 Default  
    My footage got a little shaky as I neared 12mph.

Also, holy shit Boston accents up in that video. lol
    '00 Mercury Cougar V6 5spd | '13 Ford Fusion SE 2.0l Ecoboost | My site: Skolenimation

5. #5 Default  
    I think Rafal's camera has some sort of boston accent enhancer, that or Chris' accent is way heavier than I thought it was.

6. #6 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by splatt View Post
    I think Rafal's camera has some sort of boston accent enhancer, that or Chris' accent is way heavier than I thought it was.
    its all part of the strategy. talk in heavy boston accent, get off with no ticket.
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    love to see your V... we have a bunch on the forum
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    If referring to me, I have all the aids...

7. #7 Default  
    I think when he gets frustrated it gets worse, lol. 40 caaahhhhhs.

8. #8 Default  
    sure I see Chris threw me under the bus by saying I was in front of him . Was pretty funny, Cop talks to cristov for a minute or two then goes Benvie and I'm listening as things start heating up think fuck I'm going to be dealing with an agitated cop. I just said a couple spots I did puch it and probably went 100 mph, I knew he didnt have us for that so figured I would just try being honest and hope for the best, also made sure he saw 100's Club card as I gave him my license. One other thing, Sam said when he went by us there was also an unmarked parked behind the cruiser?

9. #9 Default  
    Wish I could have made it today.

Best YR video ever lol. Who had the balls to keep the camera running?

Eric fails cause his car looks clean and I was hoping for giant stalagmites. I thought you were setting the new baller level of not giving a shit about a 100k car.

10. #10 Default  
    nope, he said he had to go to an accident we probably caused

11. #11 Default  
    That was great to watch.

I really wish I had taken my car out today. I was ok with riding until this morning when I saw it was nicer than expected.
    Matt

12. #12 Default  
    im not a lawyer but im pretty sure mass is one of those states that dosent allow you to film a police officer without both parties consent so it might be a good idea to host the video private...think it violates wire tapping laws lmfao

In-person conversations: The state requires all parties to a conversation to give consent before one can record any private oral conversation. Mass. Ann. Laws ch. 272, 99(C). An appellate court has also held that the recorded conversation of poor audio quality with at least some audible words can potentially violate the wiretapping statute. Commonwealth v. Wright, 814 N.E.2d 741 (Mass. App. Ct. 2004). The all-party consent rule seemingly applies whether the conversation is held in private or a public location. See Commonwealth v. Manzelli, 864 N.E.2d 566 (Mass. App. Ct. 2007)(protester arrested for secretly audio taping conversation with police officer at a publicly held political rally) - See more at: http://www.rcfp.org/reporters-record....VS1yD0Qb.dpuf

13. #13 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    im not a lawyer but im pretty sure mass is one of those states that dosent allow you to film a police officer without both parties concent so it might be a good idea to host the video private...think it violates wire tapping laws lmfao
    Pretty much the opposite, you can film them anywhere you want in public. They try to hide behind wiretapping laws but several cases have supported the right to film police. As long as you are not causing some kind of danger, film away.

That said, I am sure if they wanted to give you a really hard time they would anyway regardless.
    Matt

14. #14 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by [cerberus] View Post
    Pretty much the opposite, you can film them anywhere you want in public. They try to hide behind wiretapping laws but several cases have supported the right to film police. As long as you are not causing some kind of danger, film away.

That said, I am sure if they wanted to give you a really hard time they would anyway regardless.

Sweet good to know i always thought it was the other way around.....
    Last edited by Snowflake; 03-23-2014 at 07:23 PM.

15. #15 Default  
    Holy crap Chris!, so much arguing.

Had fun today, minus wondering how many cars were going to get pulled when I saw him pull a u-turn on the grass.

16. #16 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by [cerberus] View Post

The law is actually very ambiguous in MA so you shouldn't be spreading misinformation like that. Recording in the open is fine, without the other party's knowledge gets in to a pretty grey area where plenty of people in MA have been convicted of recording police without their knowledge. And even if you do record publicly, they will still arrest you if they're in a bad mood no matter if it's legitimate or not. Just happened two weeks ago in Fall River.

17. #17 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppa822 View Post
    The law is actually very ambiguous in MA so you shouldn't be spreading misinformation like that. Recording in the open is fine, without the other party's knowledge gets in to a pretty grey area where plenty of people in MA have been convicted of recording police without their knowledge. And even if you do record publicly, they will still arrest you if they're in a bad mood no matter if it's legitimate or not. Just happened two weeks ago in Fall River.
    This.

From what I can tell, you have to tell them you are recording, or possibly make it very obvious in some other way. It seems like a secret recording is not allowed in the PRM.

18. #18 Default  
    I think even if you get arrested for recording, the courts will eventually rule in your favor. That's what's been happening recently at least.

19. #19 Default  
    yeah maybe after you're well over five figures deep in attorney fees...

20. #20 Default  
    In my defense- he started the conversations off by calling me a moron.

I usually don't argue...but he was looking for one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information