Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Working out of state questions

1. #1 Default Working out of state questions 
    I have potential job offer to work 6+ month contract in Houston, Texas. I am a resident of MA and looking to see if any of you have insight on what to expect and what should be avoided.

I just renewed my MA car registration, my license is valid until 2016. I will take my personal vehicle there. Can I keep my MA ID and registration during that period, prefer to avoid paying fees?

TX does not have state income tax, MA does. Best method processing taxes?

Have to look for housing, small apartment or room mate, areas to look for/avoid?

Anything else I should look into?

Thanks

2005 Civic EX Coupe SE (AT) - 21mm RSX rear sway Bar, Bilstein struts/shocks, Neuspeed Strut Bar, AEM SRI, Eibach Springs, Crower Stage 1 cam, bomerman19's BBK (Black), SS brake lines, Ingalls camber kit (F+R), OEM Fogs w/switch, EP3 Rear Discs (Black), EBC Red brake Pads (F+R)

1997 Accord EX (MT) - 227k+

XBL: burnout3amd
    PSN: burnout3amd

Trade your games and movies on Goozex

2. #2 Default  
    Your company will provide you with all the paperwork for Ma taxes to be taken out.

As far as your car goes you should be fine as long as you do not plan on becoming a resident of Texas.
    Matt

3. #3 Default  
    you dont plan on becoming a resident of another state, so just keep your MA stuff for car/license. Might want to call your insurance up and let them know so they have it on record in the event that something happened to your car while you are in Texas. Tax wise the best person to talk to would be HR. They can help you out with that (it is their job afterall). I typically end up with 2-4 different state each year, its no big deal at all.

Housing. No idea. But if you really need help finding, PM me. I have a few friends working for Exxon and NASA down there.
    Oh Yeah!

4. #4 Default  
    Thanks for the insight/info, any more would be appreciated.

2005 Civic EX Coupe SE (AT) - 21mm RSX rear sway Bar, Bilstein struts/shocks, Neuspeed Strut Bar, AEM SRI, Eibach Springs, Crower Stage 1 cam, bomerman19's BBK (Black), SS brake lines, Ingalls camber kit (F+R), OEM Fogs w/switch, EP3 Rear Discs (Black), EBC Red brake Pads (F+R)

5. #5 Default  
    Houston is BIG and very sprawled out, and generally has pretty horrible traffic. Do you know where your office will be? That would help to narrow down where to recommend/avoid.

6. #6 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
    Houston is BIG and very sprawled out, and generally has pretty horrible traffic. Do you know where your office will be? That would help to narrow down where to recommend/avoid.
    S. Voss Rd by Memorial Drive

Took me 2.5 days to drive approx 1900 miles from Framingham MA to Houston TX without using tolls and ferries. Now I am looking for apartment or room mate near my employer, apartment complexes everywhere. If you have any leads please let me know.

Thanks

7. #7 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by husyk View Post
    S. Voss Rd by Memorial Drive

Took me 2.5 days to drive approx 1900 miles from Framingham MA to Houston TX without using tolls and ferries. Now I am looking for apartment or room mate near my employer, apartment complexes everywhere. If you have any leads please let me know.

Thanks
    If construction is finished on the Katy Freeway, I'd go with something out that way, or up north toward Jersey Village. It's relatively cheap and safe in those two directions. If it's a good paying gig and you want to live a little nicer, then head to the otherside of 610 to the Memorial Drive, Kirby Dr. area.

There used to be MASSIVE car meets at various spots along Westheimer. Usually a mixed bag in terms of quality, and guaranteed to eventually draw the police out, but still interesting to go to occasionally.

Thread Information