Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Project Saab 9-5 Wagon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Default Project Saab 9-5 Wagon 
    Yuppies,

Thought I would share my Saab Story:

I have known this Imola Red 1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon since it first rolled off the truck at Shaw Saab as a brand new car. The owner of the dealership took this car as his personal demo, and added some 16" Fondmetal wheels, a rear spoiler, and a Saab exhaust tip. He drove the car for approx 5K miles, then it was time for a new demo. At this time, my Grandfather was looking to replace his Buick wagon. Working as a detailer at Shaw Saab, I knew I could get him a good deal on a new wagon. He was uneasy at the thought of a 4 cylinder replacing his Buick 6, but after test driving the red 9-5 he was sold.

Saab1 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

Saab2 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

Saab3 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

Saab4 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

Saab5 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

My grandfather used the car sparingly during the time he owned it. Mostly driven for short rides around town, he only added 11K miles in the 15 years he had the car. He was fanatical about servicing the car, and would take it back to Shaw Saab for anything that it needed. My grandfather really loved this car, and I really enjoyed helping him take care of it. Sadly my Grandfather passed away in January. He was 98 years old, and lived an amazing life.

The car was passed down to me, and I never thought to do anything with it, other than to keep it just the way it is. That all changed last week.

I brought the car to Andy Lee, who was the Shop Foreman at Shaw Saab for many years. Andy has a lift in his home garage, and performed an oil change, tune up, and full vehicle inspection. Although the car was never garaged, its in very nice shape for its age. I decided to freshen the car up as a tribute to my Grandfather. He was always tinkering with things, and I believe he would be very pleased with what I have planned. We are laying his ashes to rest on July 8th. I am pushing to get the car ready for that event.

2. #2 Default  
    After the oil change and service was done, I felt inspired to do more. First on the list was to replace the dry rotted tires and modernize the wheels.

I scoured the internet - looking for a set of 9-3 Viggen 17" Wheels, the best looking saab wheels ever made IMO. Then I found out how soft and easily bendable they are, and decided to find other options. Craigslist came though with a serious hook up. I found a set of 17" Saab OEM Split 5 Spoke wheels from a 2008 9-5 Sport. Although there was minor curb rash to two of them, they were mounted on very new Continental Summer tires. The deal included center caps, lugs, lug nut caps, and even a brand new set of Saab 9-5 Floor Mats! All for $550. SOLD.

3. #3 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Very cool Alex! Nice way to honor your Grandfather. Car looks mint and looks like it doesn't need much of anything
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

4. #4 Default  
    Looks good Alex, really nice way to pay tribute to your grandfather. Sorry to hear about your loss.

What are your plans for the car?
    '84 Carrera
    '04 330xi ZSP
    '03 Suzuki SV650
    '77 Triumph Bonneville T140

5. #5 Default  
    Remaining items on my hot list include:

Full Window Tint: 35%

Color Matched Front Grille

New Saab front & Rear badges, new style logos to match wheel center caps.

Clear front fender side indicator lights to replace amber markers.

De-Badge rear hatch, create and install subtle vintage "turbo" script in black vinyl.

Remake the "10th Mountain" front lic plate using a black vinyl background instead of the current white. His army division in WW2 was 10th Mtn. The plate will be a centerpiece of the tribute.

Sport Exhaust - Still have not found a source. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

6. #6 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Talk to Jason at Speedlife about fabricating the exhaust? He has your same level of attention to detail. When splatt brought Jason his S4 exhaust to install a resonator, Jason got sick of looking at the raw SS tip on Sam's exhaust and brought it to a mirror finish so it looked complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex @ DRIVENPERFECTION View Post
    Remaining items on my hot list include:

Full Window Tint: 35%

Color Matched Front Grille

New Saab front & Rear badges, new style logos to match wheel center caps.

Clear front fender side indicator lights to replace amber markers.

De-Badge rear hatch, create and install subtle vintage "turbo" script in black vinyl.

Remake the "10th Mountain" front lic plate using a black vinyl background instead of the current white. His army division in WW2 was 10th Mtn. The plate will be a centerpiece of the tribute.

Sport Exhaust - Still have not found a source. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

7. #7 Default  
    What a nice tribute. I lost my grandmother in January too.

By the way... The bigger wheels are hot. Who cares how soft they are hah
    Bath salts and dick pills

8. #8 Default  
    Andy Lee is a phenomenal tech. Excellent choice entrusting him.

As far as the exhaust goes, Check out genuinesaab.com. I've had great luck with them in the past

For wheels, I would suggest the 9-5 optional BBS wheels 18s. My personal favorites.

I'm sorry to hear you suffer from Cranial-Rectal Inversion

Quote Originally Posted by jjm4life View Post
    Older cars just have more soul
    Quote Originally Posted by 55Fanatic View Post
    Can you imagine if we had 2 Rich's on this forum? oye

9. #9 Default  
    Thanks Guys!

Mat - So sorry to hear of your Grandmother passing. Its tough to lose someone from "The Greatest Generation" Our generation could learn so much from what they went through.

Pete - Ill check into Speedlife, thanks for the tip.

Rich - Yes I feel very good that Andy has been right there with this car since it was new. He's a great guy as well and a solid tech. I'll check out GenuineSaab.

10. #10 Default  
    great project alex, and a great tribute

11. #11 Default  
    Go custom for the exhaust unless you just want simple OEM replacement... Hard to find a good saab exhaust anymore.

Also, be sure to check the rear trailing arm bushings, as they are known for going bad, especially when cars sit... And they EAT tires when they are bad. If they are bad, DONT BUY OEM ONES... They cross reference to nissan versa front control arm bushings which are 1/4 of the price...

Looking good though. Makes me kinda miss my 9-5.
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    brass isn't good enough for those guys. Too heavy. They have burnt titanium because they are that awesome.

12. #12 Default  
    Talliferrio (sp?) has solid bushes avail also.

I'm sorry to hear you suffer from Cranial-Rectal Inversion

Quote Originally Posted by jjm4life View Post
    Older cars just have more soul
    Quote Originally Posted by 55Fanatic View Post
    Can you imagine if we had 2 Rich's on this forum? oye

13. #13 Default  
    I was just alerted to the fact that a Mustang Mach 1 Chin Spoiler bolts nicely under the Saab 9-5. This will be added to my list....

14. #14 Default  
    oh wow... That looks amazing.. Totally would have done that if I still had mine.
    brass isn't good enough for those guys. Too heavy. They have burnt titanium because they are that awesome.

15. #15 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by nperkins View Post
    oh wow... That looks amazing.. Totally would have done that if I still had mine.
    Chin Spoiler ordered to arrive Wednesday.

Looking like I may get everything completed for his service on the 8th.

Fingers crossed.

16. #16 Default  
    Looks like I may end up with a Borla muffler - or possibly Magnaflow.

Borla:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKb88XpNB6Y

Magnaflow:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5AGjiE5HrU

The Borla may be a bit loud? I want a performance sound - without being "Fast & Furious"

Opinions?

17. #17 Default  
    I'd go borla... Love that sound...

18. #18 Default  
    Blog Entries
    I kinda like the subtleness of the Magnaflow

19. #19 Default  
    Update:

My goals were achieved. Everything on my checklist was completed before the deadline. I could not be more happy with the results.

The car looks and feels brand new. I believe my Grandfather would be quite pleased with the results.

Modifications Completed:

17" Saab 9-5 Sport Wheels with Conti Summer Tires
    Color Matched Front Grille In Imola Red - Rear Spoiler And Mirrors Repainted
    Smoked Side Marker Lights
    New Style Saab Roundels, Front & Back
    Windows Tinted 35% - Suntek Carbon Film
    Mustang Mach 1 Chin Spoiler
    New 10th Mountain Plate Created With Matte Black Vinyl Background
    Rear Hatch Debadged, Matte Black Vintage Turbo Script Applied
    Borla Muffler With Factory Engraved Saab Exhaust Tip

We honored my Grandfather last Tuesday at Bourne National Cemetery on Cape Cod. It was a very fitting service.

His 9-5 Wagon led the procession. I feel so lucky to be able to freshen this car in his honor.

BEGA1 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

BEGA3 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

BEGA4 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

BEGA7 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

BEGA10 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

BEGA13 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

BEGA16 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

BEGA25 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

BEGA28 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

BEGA29 by drivenperfection, on Flickr

20. #20 Default  
    Blog Entries
    looks fantastic Alex, Im sure somewhere up there your Grandfather is ecstatic with how it came out

Any more pics of the rear? What will you do with this now? Weekend driver?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information