Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Intercooler pressure test

1. #1 Default Intercooler pressure test 
    Anyone know of a shop that's pressure tested intercoolers? I'm guessing any place that can do it for radiators and condensers can probably also do intercoolers. But if anyone knows of a specific shop to use or avoid that would be helpful.

2. #2 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
    Anyone know of a shop that's pressure tested intercoolers? I'm guessing any place that can do it for radiators and condensers can probably also do intercoolers. But if anyone knows of a specific shop to use or avoid that would be helpful.
    If you don't trust a shop, you can do it yourself in the bathtub. They just pressurize it with air, submerge it and look for bubbles.

-Justin

White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)

3. #3 Default  
    I don't know about your bathroom, but I don't have the tools in there to pressurize the tank while it's in the tub. That and I'm pretty sure my wife would be pissed if I started using the bathtub for car parts.

4. #4 Default  
    My wife doesn't even ask anymore. As long as the stuff's out of the bathroom by morning she doesn't say anything.

-Justin

White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)

5. #5 Default  
    Its simple... Go to Home Depot, buy two PVC endcaps the size of your end tanks... Drill a hole and install a tire valve stem in one... Pressurize the intercooler to about 30psi, then dunk in the bathtub for a minute and look for bubbles... Then, simple release the air from the tire valve and you are done.
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    brass isn't good enough for those guys. Too heavy. They have burnt titanium because they are that awesome.

6. #6 Default  
    Seems that's what I'll end up doing. I was trying to avoid that, since the time it would take to go to HD and then do all of that, would be considerably longer than taking maybe 15-20 minutes for a competent radiator shop to test it.

I'll skip the bathtub thing though and just go the soapy water in a spray bottle route, since that will give the same result, minus the wife giving me the evil eye.

7. #7 Default  
    Just do it when she's out doing chick stuff some day. It's a bathtub not the louvre.

Thread Information